Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Travel insurance – might be needed. Dr letter required?
  • bennbuoy
    Free Member

So….due to head away on hols tomorrow morning and I’ve been expelling from both ends and the missus has said she is starting to fell poorly to….

Really don’t want to travel if things don’t clear up….could be messy!

So, if not ok tomorrow how do you claim off travel insurance? Will we need Dr letter? Imagine if we do then getting an appt might be a challenge at our GP practice….

Cheers.

br
    Free Member

How far are you travelling, and what kinda cost are you looking to recover?

bennbuoy
    Free Member

Heading to Canaries. Cost of flights and accommodation a bit more than £2k.

ratherbeintobago

So, if not ok tomorrow how do you claim off travel insurance? Will we need Dr letter? Imagine if we do then getting an appt might be a challenge at our GP practice….

You’ll need to look at your policy docs, as each insurance company will have their own way of doing this.

If you need a GP letter, expect to pay for this as it’s not NHS work.

DrP

Tell your insurance…they’ll write to the gp with their own particular form.
    Send a covering letter to your gp, with some money, and all will get done in due course.
    No point seeing the gp face to face..

DrP

bennbuoy
    Free Member

Hoping this is just a short-term ‘bug’….although both of us are now losing weight…..

If it clears over next few days then I would not envisage going to the Dr….tend not to visit unless something which does not self resolve in a few days.

However would not want to jeopardise any insurance payout if we did not visit Dr…..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don’t visit the GP’s and infect everyone else, or get on a plane and infect everyone else 🙂

Ring up GP’s says what’s happened ask for letter

hjghg5
    Free Member

When I claimed on travel insurance they insisted on having something from a doctor. I broke my ankle on the way to the airport for my return flight and phoned them on the way to hospital as it was clear that I’d miss my flight and I wanted to start the process. They refused to do anything until they had something from a doctor (even though going to see a doctor to get what they wanted made missing the flight inevitable!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You’ll need to look at your policy docs, as each insurance company will have their own way of doing this.

This x1000, you have all the information you need and a handy phone number to clarify any details with the only people who will count – the insurance company. Adding in “thats what STW told me” to a claim isn’t normally enough.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Travel insurance – might be needed. Dr letter required?’ is closed to new replies.