Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Travel Insurance – is this legal?
  • scuttler

I have the annual policy that comes with the Nationwide Flexaccount and it offers a reasonable level of cover but not winter sports. I can add winter sports for 40 quid annually.

I am skiing for a few days soon (only time this year). Can I buy single-trip travel insurance just for the snow-specific items, i.e. medical cover related to skiing, cancellation or delay due to snow/avalanche/mountain stuff and forego the baggage, general cancellation etc?

This is with a view that if I have a non-winter sports claim i.e. I lose my passport I claim off Nationwide, and if I get nailed by a snowboarder I claim off the winter-sports one? The reason I ask is I can obviously reduce the costs of a winter policy by a few quid if I sack off all but the winter-specific items.

To add to this my contents insurance has away from home cover for personal possessions etc.

I am aware that I could only claim for a particular incident from one policy but can I be covered by different policies for different events?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Yes, it should be fine.

Also, if you are insured for the same thing by both policies you can only claim from one of them. I can’t remember the details but a mate was insured twice for luggage loss and when his luggage was lost he tried to claim from both because he had paid both and was refused (they talk to each other apparently). He then had a nightmare getting either policy to pay out as they both (correctly) said he was covered elsewhere so they wouldn’t pay out.

Check that second bit with someone who knows the facts as it was a pub discussion late in the evening but the bloke was still wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip flops in March

Spongebob
    Free Member

You don’t have to take the Nationwide insurance.

I bet an annual policy that is tailored to your needs, bought on the open market, will be cheaper and less complicated than what your are considering.

If the other insurer discovers that there are two policies in force, they may start offloading their responsibilities. Could be a complete nightmare, don’t do it!

csb

Check out the Carte Neige type arrangement that just covers skiing incidents. And of course the E111/EHIC card.

legend
    Free Member

I bet an annual policy that is tailored to your needs, bought on the open market, will be cheaper and less complicated than what your are considering.

This, head to direct-travel for example. Found out about this lot when I used to work for Direct Line, was highly annoyingly as they did considerably better cover. We used them for years as the happily covered DH riding, unfortunately that’s now changed – snow cover’s good though, claims support also very good.

And of course the E111/EHIC card.

of course remember that although this may help cover medical costs it will not help you get home

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Travel Insurance – is this legal?’ is closed to new replies.