Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Travel insurance for les gets
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

Just after advice/experience of this. I’ve seen asda quote that covers mtb except for downhill racing ( won’t be doing that) and ” extreme ground conditions ” what the hell does that mean?

Robz
    Free Member

My advice is not to skimp and be clear on what you’re covered for. You don’t want to give them any reason for not paying out.

I usually use Dog Tag insurance. Extreme level cover for riding in Les Gets etc.

I have year round travel insurance through RBS but it doesn’t cover me for DH riding in Morzine etc.

It was cheaper to take out a separate policy with Dog Tag than paying to upgrade my RBS cover.

scaled
    Free Member

+1 for a better safe than sorry approach.

Extreme ground conditions sounds like mountain biking to me!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Snowcard.

Paid out for me no worries but mine was only £40 X-ray really but when my pal did his knee in in Pila, they flew him home early. They sorted it all, even help with his luggage carrying.

No hassle or even hint of wriggling out of paying, which is exactly what you want and need when you need it, hopefully you won’t need it though.

weeksy

Holidaysafe.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Nomad world traveller insurance. You can do it online, the covers very clearly explained with a choice of two base packages and then you just add in the extensions you need (i.e. Lift assisted mountain biking on downhill trails). Just sorted mine for a week in the alps and cost me £23. Of course, price is only one factor with insurance, paying a claim should the worst happen is more important – I’ve not claimed on them, but the reviews I’ve read have been positive

Tracey

Have a look at Yellow Jersey. We have just renewed our annual travel with them. Snowcard and Dogtag have have priced themselves out of the market for the older rider. They were also quite knowledgeable when asked about the types of riding cover.

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve got ours through our natwest account. I was a bit sceptical about paid bank accounts but the numbers actually add up, especially with the other benefits. It covers “mountain biking on recognised trails”. They paid out very quickly and with no fuss when wife had a spill in morzine last year.

oldnpastit

I’ve just gone with insureandgo. They seemed to be quite a bit cheaper than Dog Tag or Snowcard.

The normal level of cover excludes downhill racing and extreme ground conditions, but there’s an “extreme activities” endorsement which then covers “Mountain biking (including downhill racing and extreme ground conditions).”

husa450
    Free Member

When I was looking into this for last year if you are at a location where there are chair/ski lifts that can be used then this falls into the downhill racing category with some insurers. I went with snowcard in the end for around £60 for 7 days cover.

oldnpastit

Insureandgo was £35 for 6 days. The extreme activities clause excludes personal injury and liability: if I come home permanently disabled or dead, I can’t claim for costs beyond 15 days after my return.

tomtomr

A lot of the cheaper policies, whilst covering the activity, make no mention of search and rescue costs. Although you’d have to be fairly unlucky to need it, I’d want to know that this possibility was covered!

Snowcard and Dogtag both explicitly mention these as being covered. I’ve just shot Yellow Jersey an email to ask as they don’t mention it in their policy summary.

Edit – quick response from Yellow Jersey. This is covered by their policy.

matt_outandabout

Ive just taken one out with Columbus Direct again, having used them three years ago too – waaaay cheaper than other quotes, add in the ‘adventure pack’ and it covers you for non-racing mountain biking and hiking below 4000m…

It *does* cover search and rescue costs, its in the policy wording.

tonyg2003

Dog tag for me – they seem to cover most eventualities even DH MTB , cycling events and windsurfing which are my eventualities!

BFITH
    Free Member

Ive just taken one out with Columbus Direct again

Matt- have ever made a claim? They seem very reasonable.

As an aside, I’ve just found out (3 days before I go to the alps!) that I’m no longer covered by the Travel Insurance provided via our (Lloyds) bank account. In previous years I was covered for pretty much any eventuality up to 2500m. Poilcty has changed in the last year or so – check your existing policies, chaps!

matt_outandabout

Matt- have ever made a claim? They seem very reasonable.

Nope.
    I hope not to.
    We are driving though, so only opted for basic option.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

as per above, don’t skimp and just get snowcard or my personal favourite Dogtag and extreme level cover.

You really don’t want to be quibbling about whether the circa £15k it will cost for a chopper to airlift you back to the hospital is covered by your policy if you are lying at the side of a trail halfway down a mountain.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Travel insurance for les gets’ is closed to new replies.