Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Travel Insurance – Canada
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We are going to Canada in the summer, a mixture of biking, mountain walking, sea kayaking, skiing.

Snowcard is coming in bonkers money at the moment. Who should we use ?

Ta

tomhoward

I use dog tag, but never had to put them to the test, touch wood

trail_rat
    Free Member

I think I ended up with insure and go on one of their sports policies didn’t seem crazy money but I needed cycle touring and they were one of the few that would cover me . Wouldn’t cover my gear or bike on the road though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

I used Snowcard for many years, but their prices have become stupid. Last time I went with Dogtag. I haven’t had to test, but they seem to offer all the right coverage.

kilo

Dogtag again for last two trips to Canada

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Dog tag I use annual works out really cheap for multiple trips

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

One tip – one guy had a minor stumble broke a few fingers. No problem he got back down and we took him straight to hospital as it was on the way back. They wanted $500 or credit card before they would do anything. He’d forgotten to carry proof of insurance with him. Just a reminder to carry it with you as its no good back in the hotel 😀 I have the dogtag ‘dogtag’ strapped to my camlbak.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Had a look at Dog Tag and the basic cover although cheap doesn’t actually insure you for much personal accident and cancellation only up to £1k or so, doesn’t even cover the flights !

At a reasonable amount of cover they are no cheaper than others 🙁

jamesmio
    Free Member

Last year ours was with Holiday Safe (always go via Money Saving Expert and it usually works out pretty reasonable). 12 months / couples cover inc Winter Sports was about £85ish. That included the extras to cover Canada.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    They wanted $500 or credit card before they would do anything. He’d forgotten to carry proof of insurance with him. Just a reminder to carry it with you as its no good back in the hotel

From experience, some won’t take the insurance anyway. Had one accepted for initial assessment after they rang them up, but after that they said I had to pay up and was up to me to claim back from the insurance. Technically you should ring the insurers first to be sure they’ll pay up, but you’re kind of stuck anyway. $1k for a fractured wrist in US, and that was back in 2002.

mixture of biking, mountain walking, sea kayaking, skiing

Regular travel insurance with ski cover may be all you need, depending what the mountain biking is (and not sure what is typical cover for kayaking). Mine has limited cover for mountain biking so long as it’s not “extreme terrain” (?) and not racing. Some also exclude a dedicated mountain bike trip, but doing a few days is okay.

Dedicated trip I’d be looking at Snowcard / DogTag type stuff though. With Snowcard I reduced costs by stripping the cover back to the MTB activity and cover for the bike. Insurance for trip cancellation, late departures, lost luggage etc covered by my regular annual insurance.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Booked with Cover More

Still not cheap at £200 for the family but covers way more than we could find elsewhere ie. £15k cancellation, paragliding, quadbiking etc

BearBack
    Free Member

Per deadkenny, anytime you present yourself youre going to be asked for a credit card before a doctor will see you.
    The exceptions are pretty much you being delivered to ER by ambulance, medevac or threat to life and limb where they will treat you regardless of any concern of your current insurance coverage.
    Once you’ve paid the initial assessment fee (as a walk-in) or are stable as an emergency, then they will detemine coverage and if they can direct bill your insurer.

The only thing to watch for is activity exclusions in the small print. Ive seen odd things like ‘moutain biking – on paved trails only’, ‘not over 500m elevation’ etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive seen odd things like ‘moutain biking – on paved trails only’, ‘not over 500m elevation’ etc.

Yep loads like that in fact Dog Tag put lift assisted riding in there 2nd from highest category which makes it very expensive

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Travel Insurance – Canada’ is closed to new replies.