Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Travel insurance
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Ok, so I'm going out to Whistler in July and was going to get insurance with Snowcard, whom I have used the last two years. However, I have just had a quote off their website for £102, for two weeks 😯 ; now compare that to the £79 I paid, with the same company, for three weeks, last year 👿

So any recommendations for insuring me while I ride the bike park for two weeks?

uplink
    Free Member

dogtag?

mushrooms
    Free Member

I've just been told of someone(unisured) who received a £30000 bill for having an accident abroad then they were flow home privately. So I wouldn't skimp on it 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

I've heard some horror stories about dogtag so always give them a wide berth.

I've just been told of someone(unisured) who received a £30000 bill for having an accident abroad then they were flow home privately. So I wouldn't skimp on it

I don't intend to. It is something I have always looked at as a necessity. I will probably end with Snowcard anyway as they are one of the few who actually mention "downhill mountain biking", unless there are any other options.

bruneep

Snowcard

mikey74
    Free Member

Bruneep: Thanks for your input, but have you not read the rest of the post?

z1ppy

Get an European Health Insurance Card & insurance from Snowcard.

http://www.ehic.uk.com/apply.html

mikey74
    Free Member

Does anyone actually read the threads before posting a response?

bruneep

yes I read it and having seen first hand experience of snowcard and how good they were at sorting one of our party. I would without question use them regardless the cost. They were 1st class.

BearBack
    Free Member

I wouldn't be surprised that insurance companies are wiseing up to Whistler as a destination. Soon enough, there'll be 3 categories of mountain bike travel insurance – Europe, America, Whistler 😉

£200 just to get admitted to the clinic if you hurt yourself and probably £400 if you need an x-ray. Whistler clinic could definitely be accused of gouging but, if you need medical help, its a pretty good place to be.

A couple of years back, Winters busiest day on the mountain was equal to the total number of visitors on the bike park over the whole season. Admittances to the clinic over the whole season for both seasons was almost the same.

Anyway, if you do shop around, make sure that the company you choose doesn't impose any restrictions on mountain biking – of any kind.
    For example, I've seen such ridiculous restrictions as: 'mountain biking on paved trails only', mountain biking not above 500m'

Bottom of our booking page has a link to a site that may help
    http://www.bearbackbiking.com/booking

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks Bearback and bruneep: I had all this a few years ago, which was why I ended up going with Snowcard – they were the only ones who actually listed "downhill mountain biking" in their coverage list. The craziest one I had was a company who said that their policy did not cover "riding down vertical slopes". When I phoned them to enquire what this meant, they had no idea.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

A bit repetitive but I would recommend getting Snowcard.

But have you looked into their annual multi-trip cover. I have it and paid £120 (ish – can't remember exactly, but did it as cover for myself and my girlfriend, so it works out a wee bit cheaper than paying separately).

You nominate your main activity (for me DH mountain biking) and you are then covered for in the UK as well. I fell of at Glentress one evening… free physio…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Travel insurance’ is closed to new replies.