Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Travel help needed
  • SaxonRider

I have been asked to go to Lviv, Ukraine next week, and could go anywhere between Monday, 29 May and Saturday, 3 June. Ideally, I would only spend 2 or 3 nights away.

I am in Cardiff, but am willing to fly out of anywhere in the south of the UK, with a view to changing flights, or making stopovers anywhere on the Continent.

The problem is, I simply can’t find a combination of flights that gets me there and back within the time frame I would like, and I am thinking of calling a real, live travel agent. 😯

Any suggestions on whom to call? Are national outfits better than local? How able and/or willing are agents to get really creative with different airlines? Or are they all just locked into relationships with certain companies?

I was thinking of something like Flybe to Berlin or Easyjet to Krakow or something, then finding something from there into Lviv.

Whatever the case, I desperately need help trying to put something together.

trail_rat
    Free Member

When ever I went to Ukraine I always flew UAI out of Heathrow and changed at Kiev – but I was going to Poltava in the north or south on the black sea pre Russian occupation and I’m not sure anywhere other than Kiev would connect to those backwoods places.

SaxonRider

That’s the flight I was trying to find last night, trail_rat, but for some reason could not get to it. I’ll try again.

Incidentally, what took you to Ukraine?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimdubleyou

Flight Centre have been good for us in finding flights to obscure places (e.g. Kunming in China).

Dunno about Ukraine though.

Edit: just looked on work’s internal agent, BA to Warsaw, LOT direct to Lviv. Or, there are direct flights from Vienna.

SaxonRider

I have just gone directly to the UIA website, and while there are some options that include ridiculous changeovers in Kyiv, I can at least see that what I want is doable.

konagirl
    Free Member

Google flights is the easiest thing to use. Up to 5 different airports per search, and play around with dates and filters (stops, duration, times). E.g. google flight search

You’ll want to buy a connecting ticket rather than separate tickets with easyjet and the like, so if the first flight is late and you miss the connection the airline is responsible for looking after you and getting you on another flight. Separate tickets and you could be stuck in Europe looking at a very expensive last minute flight home.

SaxonRider

Thanks for that, konagirl! The Austrian Airlines option is far better that the UIA I found.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I had to run a completion in the black sea.

Nearly got arrested in the way back due to them being eec and not eu so I did not have correct work permits oops.

Moses

How about Bristol/Rzeszow and then train – it’s about 100 miles.
    There are frequent buses, too.
    Ryanair fly Mondays, Fridays.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ukraine trains are awesome.

i had to take the train from simpheropol to poltava once. sat on it for hours. Great way to see the different regions of Ukraine- its quite a varied country !

Moses

Apologies- there’s only a couple of trains a day between Rzeszow and Lvov. Coaches are faster anyway in PL, or you could hire a car.

SaxonRider

Hiring a car isn’t a bad idea. As for the train and/ or bus option, however, I unfortunately don’t have the time on this particular trip.

m0rk
    Free Member

Had a little play on Kayak

https://www.kayak.co.uk/flights/LON,nearby-LWO/2017-05-29-flexible/2017-06-03-flexible

Looks like long travel time, but achievable

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anyone who suggests hiring a car in Ukraine hasn’t driven In Ukraine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Travel help needed’ is closed to new replies.