Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Trashed freehub body
  • eulach

Before I knew better, I put a cheap 9x cassette on an Nukeproof Generator alloy freehub body and the inevitable happened. When I finally removed the cassette, I filed down the burrs and fitted a 10x slx cassette with the largest 3 gears on a carrier.
    The body is now well and truly muellered but everything else runs fine. Is it worth spending £50 on a new freehub or is there a cheaper solution?

Northwind

It might be worth trying to build the slots back up with chemical metal- it’s a bit variable tbh, it’s not really strong enough to be a reliable fix but can still be fairly effective

endurokid
    Free Member

I never understand why people try to ‘bodge’ or ‘ghetto’ stuff, why not save all the hassle and replace it? At least you know it’s sorted then and can concentrate on riding rather than your wheel failing.

Northwind

endurokid – Member

I never understand why people try to ‘bodge’ or ‘ghetto’ stuff, why not save all the hassle and replace it?

Because it often works, and it’s better to fix things than to landfill them and make another?

Though, also, you take into account the likelihood of failure and what’ll happen if it does. In this case, yes it might not work but it’ll not cause any problems if it doesn’t so no reason to worry.

endurokid
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one to chuck things and replace them if they can be legitimately repaired, all I’m saying is you have to draw the line somewhere, and trying to bodge a free hub repair with chemical metal is taking things too far, but that is purely my opinion, nothing more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Trashed freehub body’ is closed to new replies.