Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Trapped finger in moving rotor….
  • glenh
    Free Member

…while setting up discs.

Nail now very black and finger swollen + v.painful.

What a dumb ass:(

scaredypants

c’mon, somebody must have that photo…

scaredypants

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i did this. Bike upsidedown, spun front wheel to check alignment and bike toppled over. i caught it with my finger in the front rotor. Blood and swearing went everywhere…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ouch. I did something considerably worse than that pic using the chainring and chain alone as a kid. I still have the scar where my finger tip was stitched back on an hour or so later 🙂 It’s not just rotors that are dangerous!

nickc

Mate did the same thing at Glentress last year, removed some of the tip of his finger, and nearly his lunch as well. We bandaged it all up, and all seemed fine, but the nursey at his local GP thought it should’ve been stitched…Hey ho..

scaredypants

When I was about ten I was using one of those reciprocating hedge-trimmers & (for no real reason) put my finger on the top layer before pressing “go”

funny thing is, it had a bit of a recoil on it that kicks upwards…

didn’t dare tell my mum & dad so I stuck the tip back on with a plaster. It healed fine but totally numb

gohan
    Free Member

did it once in the work shop of the store i used to work in after spending the night in casualty with my old diabetic house mate, looked at my boss, said im goin, cryed a bit……

UncleFred
    Free Member

Riding one morning and my Computer stopped working, leaned down to move the fork sensor closer to the magnet and missed completely. Thumb went into the bladed spokes of my Mavic’s. Nice big chunk and no feeling for 9 months.

About 15 years ago I was adjusting the timing on my Beetle and got my finger to close to the belt and watched as my hand go taken around the Generator wheel. I should probably have had stitches for that one but duct tape is a wonderful thing.

daveh
    Free Member

Been there, done that, not pleasant. I went thru the nail and almost out the otherside. Painful.

alpin
    Free Member

my GF’s mate done it on his motorbike. had just cleaned the bike, turned the wheel with is finger in the rotor, but the wheel didn’t stop as he’d expected when his finger came up against the caliper.

another one. friend of friend was a courier in stuttgart riding a fixie. he thought he check the chain tension whilst riding along. his finger got a bit too close to the chainring and got dragged round. he had to wait till it got to the bottom before he could release. went to hospital and the doc asked where the rest of his finger was and he gave them the glove with his finger in the end of it.

catfood
    Free Member

Did a carbon copy of Tims finger when I was younger but on the right hand, looks uncanilly the same, told you it would grow back.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve done that but fortunately it wasn’t too bad. I had the bike upside down and was trying to figure out what was making a scraping sound in the brake whilst the wheel was spinning. I was inspecting closely when I saw something and poked my finger in to try and remove it !

how dumb was that !?!

mudshark
    Free Member

Chopped the end off one of mine in a seesaw when I was 2; it’s nearly 1cm shorter than it should be.

chillidave
    Free Member

did this about 5 years ago in one of those not really thinking very hard moments. Crushed the nail inside the finger and it ended up falling off in tesco. By the sounds of it I got off lightly! Hope it heals up soon.

sharkbait
    Free Member

A riding mates dad did that a few weeks ago. He was helping fix a little bike issue and managed to stick his finger in the rotor while it was spinning……… chopped the end of his finger straight off – 3 days in hospital (over weekend) while they decided whether to operate or not.

djc1245
    Free Member

I did the same as Keva, my middle fingertip was hanging off. Getting it back out of the caliper was the most painful bit though. Was going to superglue it back on but couldn’t find any. Girlfriend made me go to hospital and I had 9 stitches in it in the end. Got a week off work for it…which made it worthwhile.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I used a garden fork to stick my foot to the garden when I was a kid. Went right through my trainer and luckily missed all the bones. I was literally pinned to the garden & mum had to come and extract me!

streetdog
    Free Member

Mudshark….I too have a short thumb….thanks to my older brother telling me to put it in my mum’s coffee grinder when we were kids. He turned it on!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

anyone seen the squirrel trapped in a rotor pic? think it was in mbuk at some point

brant
    Free Member

Didn’t see anything like this on the Spankwire video, but I couldn’t watch it for too long.

Biffer
    Free Member

Yep I remember the trapped squirrel pic – superb one !!!

oldgit
    Free Member

Did mine in August whilst aligning my Hopes. I now at last have a finger nail but is’s still soft. Totally scuppered my nose picking antics for months.

DezB
    Free Member

What a dumb ass:(

Are you American?

coffeeking
    Free Member

A dumb ass is a perfectly usable phrase, what makes it American?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Trapped finger in moving rotor….’ is closed to new replies.