• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Transporting downhill bikes
  • stevemtb
    Free Member

My DH bikes doesn’t fit on my roof rack. It’s both too high for the gripper arm to reach and too fat for it to grip on to.

Thinking about getting another roof rack but one that needs the front wheel off and locks in on the fork. Will have to be one that can cope with a 20mm through axel.

I’ve seen one type that can’t cope with disc brakes and one that can but has anyone got experience with them and can they cope with big 200mm discs? Any recommendations about which ones can cope well with DH bikes?

Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I thought you had to own an Essex Plumber Wagon pick up or a van with a Fox sticker to be allowed to transport DH bikes…

😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Towbar racks.

Vans.

Dismantle it to almost component form.

GW
    Free Member

Surely the 20mm fork axle mount doesn’t need to cope with discs. The disc will still be attached to your front wheel (which you’ll have removed)? 😕

stevemtb
    Free Member

Hmm, think I’ve been daft, with this question (in my defence I’ve been feeling crap/knackered/stupider than usual all day :lol:). Scrap the bit about the size of the rotor then but there still seems to be two types, disc and non disc ones available, must be to do with the caliper I suppose.

Worried too that the weight of a DH bike (proper heavy few year old one, definitely a strength over lightness bike) will be too much on a rack too.

It does fit in the car with the front wheel off but as it gets so muddy the car is filthy today. Tow bar would be nice but other things to spend cash on before that comes round. Same applies to the van!

GW
    Free Member

Stick a cheap tarpaulin in the car. handy for covering it up from tea leafs too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Transporting downhill bikes’ is closed to new replies.