Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Transmission – how best to spend my money
  • tomvet

I am getting married this Spring, so funds are relatively tight currently. I have just smashed a shifter and brake lever during a bike tree interaction with inevitable consequences …sadly impact masked by mud on lens… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGsBk3PXPHY.

Anyway on my whyte 901 currently running a sram crank, x5 front mech, x9 type 2 rear mech.

Option 1: New Deore crank and BB, slx cassette, KMC chain, new x5 shifter plus slx brake set coming in at £188. But would this combination of sram/shimano components be compatible and shift well together.

Option 2: New deore groupset inc brakes for £225 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-10-speed-double-groupset/rp-prod115165

Second option is simpler, but first option gives me better brakes and comes in a bit cheaper as long as there are no compatibility issues? So where would your money go?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Swore group set would in theory be downgradeing the bike. I’d just buy some decent brakes (Deore) and some X9 shifters if I were you. Always spend money on shifters, as that’s what’s controlling the mechs and that’s a benefit you can feel

EDIT
    don’t bother with SLX brakes. No benefit over Deore. Spend money on better shifters instead.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Why not just get a new shifter and lever.?

tomvet

Current brakes are avid elixir 3’s, spares are expensive and not readily available and if the internet is to be believed not as good as shimano. The crank/cassette/chain ect is well worn out and due replacing so was just planning on getting everything done in one go.

tomvet

Apologies for dullest thread of the day but I have been on ribble and found SLX chainset,BB, cassette and shifters, KMC X10 chain and deore brakeset for £176 once a discount code used. Can anyone tell me if this should be compatible with my current x5 front and x9 type2 rear mech?

scaredypants

there’s no shifters in that list

simondbarnes

Can anyone tell me if this should be compatible with my current x5 front and x9 type2 rear mech?

It’s not. You’ll need a Shimano 10spd rear mech

Mbnut
    Free Member

Deore brakeset – £72
    Zee shifter – £15
    Zee derailleur – £35
    SLX cassette + chain – £36
    Superstar NW chainring – £25

£183 to go 1 x 10 and you can sell the remainders of your brakes for £20 to go down the pub with.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If the brakes are not good then get new ones (Shimano) and replace the shifter. I’m not sure why you want to replace the whole drivetrain unless you want to switch to a 1x setup?

simondbarnes

I’m not sure why you want to replace the whole drivetrain unless you want to switch to a 1x setup?

Maybe because…

The crank/cassette/chain ect is well worn out and due replacing

iolo
    Free Member

Tell her she’s not getting flowers, bridesmaids dresses and a honeymoon.
    Buy full XTR groupset with the money you’ve saved.

winston
    Free Member

Lose the photographer – Its a wasted grand and you’ll never look at the photos again – get your mates to take pics

XTR groupset

tomvet

Going to stick with 2×10 as have got on well with that spread of gears, changing the whole drive train because the teeth are so worn out the chain set and cassette the gaps between teeth are too wide and the teeth are pointed and narrowed, new chain rings for the chain set is about as much as a brand new one.

Now musing xtr in moment of rebellion…….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Transmission – how best to spend my money’ is closed to new replies.