Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Transmission Help – 2×9 / 2×10 / Head hurting
  • scandal42
    Free Member

I need to change my rear mech, at the same time I really want to change from 3×9 to something less hassle, I have no idea what to do. I don’t want to spend too much but I appreciate going 2×9 or 2×10 means changing chain set etc.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I ride singletrack / trail centre / hope to try Enduro stuff at some stage.

Oh and it’s a hard tail…..help 😕

bobbyspangles

Have you thought about removing the big ring and fitting a bashguard?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep going 3×9 to 2×9 involves removing a the big ring and replacing with bash, though you may want a bigger middle ring to compensate.
    Going 2×10 needs new mech, shifter, cassette & chain. Front may be OK

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scandal42
    Free Member

Seems the cheapest option I suppose. Can you change the cassette rather than the middle ring to give you a bit more higher gearing?

Wonder if I could fit a shimano clutch mech to this sram arrangement, interesting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No to the cassette but ride it and see, if it’s a standard 32 fir me it’s just too spinny but many here disagree

There is a bodge 10sp with 9sp thing going on.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks

Bash guards seem steep for what they are.

This looks like a great deal with the bb included?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/chainsets-mtb/truvativ-holzfeller-22-rg-chainset-bb.html

Any opinions

fathomer

You don’t need a bash, I ran 2×9 for over a year without one. All I did was whip the big ring off and wound the stop screw on the front mech in so I couldn’t accidentally shift to the big ring that wasn’t there. Setting the mech was a bit of a pita, though got there in the end.

asterix
    Free Member

maybe a naive question but is there really any benefit in just taking the big ring off to go from 3×9 to 2×9?

I’m a big fan of 2×10 – if a things worth doing, do it properly

jambalaya
    Free Member

@asterix – yes if you want a chain device. I did exactly this on my “alps” bike plus bash ring. I never use the big ring anyway even in the uk, I don’t ride fast and I don’t ride on the road

mactheknife

I took the big ring off, fitted a bash and changed the middle ring from a 32t to a 36t.

I only did this because i ride a lot in the cairngorms and it can be very bouldery and i was trashing the big ring regularly.

This set up works well for me.

Oh and if you are 9 speed then a clutch mech is out. 10 speed only as far as i am aware.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ran 2×9 for the last 5 years with 22/36 great for me, no massive road miles but plenty of go when needed with the 36.
    2×10 26/39 I think has been great though better down low and better top end

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Transmission Help – 2×9 / 2×10 / Head hurting’ is closed to new replies.