Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Transitions lenses
  • steveoath
    Free Member

anyone use transitions? Its new glasses time, and i could get separate glasses and sunnies or transitions for much the same price? Just worry that they are a bit ‘weird’. Are they quick to change when you go indoors? And is driving with them throw up any issues?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Go dark -really fast
    Go light – up to a minute
    Driving – no issues because the windscreen blocks the UV radiation which darkens the glasses. You might want to keep a pair of sunnies in the car

steveoath
    Free Member

Aha. So 2 pairs of glasses (one tinted) is probably best then. Cheers.

aether531
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my day to day glasses but I wouldn’t get them again. I don’t like the way they go a sort of in between tint, which apparently makes me look like an 80’s DJ.

steveoath
    Free Member

That was my other worry, Aether531.

CountZero

I’ve got them on my day to day glasses but I wouldn’t get them again. I don’t like the way they go a sort of in between tint, which apparently makes me look like an 80’s DJ.

Well, unless you insist on wearing Aviators, or Porsche Design glasses with humongous great lenses, and dress like Simon Bates or DLT, then really, who gives a shit?
    I have Shamir DriveWear lenses in my Lennons frames, and they’re fairly dark most of the time, but they work inside a car, and apart from the odd pub smartass who thinks its funny to ask why I’m wearing sunglasses indoors, most people really don’t notice or care.
    Of course, if it really bothers you what other people think, then avoid; I just don’t give a toss.

bigG
    Free Member

I had a pair of oakley transition glasses as my main day to day specs, they worked well, did exactly what transition lenses should do. They went dark in sunshine, and clear indoors. The problem was that they took a few mins to go light when I went indoors which made me look like a ’70s DJ, and they’d go dark even in very little sunlight, which made me look like a ’70s DJ wearing sunglasses on a grey day.

I still use them, but only for cycling.

TheGingerOne

I used to wear them, but as above didn’t like the fact they rarely went clear outside and also didn’t like the time they took to go lighter especially when mountain biking. Hitting shade was like entering a black hole. Just wear clear lenses all the time now.

scotroutes

I use Oakley Transitions for cycling and hillwalking. They are prescription lenses so I ride with them day and night and they are superb. I do, however, need to have another pair of sunnies for driving.

The transition time never bothers me as it’s still quicker than stopping, putting on clear glasses and starting to ride again (only to stop again when out off the trees etc.)

Of course, if it really bothers you what other people think, then avoid; I just don’t give a toss.

And this.

aether531
    Free Member

I’ve got Oakley prescriptions too bigG, nice glasses but I’m too shallow for the tinted DJ look. I suppose I could go full-on DLT, but unfortunately I’m incapable of growing a luxurious beard like the old perv…The other issue I have is when it rains and you get a mottled effect where the tint goes darker in places. Very irritating.

gears_suck
    Free Member

The other issue I have is when it rains and you get a mottled effect where the tint goes darker in places. Very irritating.

Oh, the little things.

glacier79
    Free Member

Didn’t Mike from the young ones have a pair?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

had this dilemma and concluded that you really need 3..
    transition = walking , cycling, outdoor activities (UK)
    clear = winter, really really grey day, backup lens
    sunnies = driving, or holidays in the tropics (or some very sunny countries, transition darkness just doesn’t cut it)

antigee

many years and happy – going into tunnels isn’t great but day to day can put up with not having to think about do i need sunglasses

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Transitions lenses’ is closed to new replies.