Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Transition Smuggler 2017
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

My LBS has one of these on offer (build 4) reduced to 2k but will take offers.

Anyone got one or ridden one? Reviews seem positive. Might go check it out at the weekend and have a look at their HT bikes while I’m there.

sl80
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2016 build 3. Does the 4 still come with sektors? That would be my only worry, the 130mm pikes on mine are a perfect match IMO, it feels like a bike with more travel than it has.
    I came from a 650b carbon stumpy before this and the smuggler is so much more impressive. PB’s on strava have all been beaten going up or down, I was surprised by just how much quicker it is going uphill even though its heavier than my previous stumpy.

Alex

I bought a heavily discounted 2017 frame a few weeks ago and built it up. I’ve had a few 29er FS- the last one being a Pyga 29-110 and I still have a Cotic Flare Max which I run 29 in the winter. The Smuggler is a different bike to both of those.

Said it before on this forum, for me you get the best out of it if you ride it more aggressively. I run mine with a 140 Yari. but this doesn’t feel mismatched with the 115 at the rear. They aren’t the lightest frames, but they climb well and seem pretty stiff.

Very happy with mine and definitely a different experience to previous 29FS. In a good way.

jayx2a
    Free Member
    bungalistic
    Free Member

I had the 2016 frame for about a year, it was great fun, ran mine with a 140 fox fork. It built up to be just over 30lbs so with some bling parts you could get it under that. I found it to be a very fun bike, the most playful 29er I’ve ridden. I’m trying hard not to buy another one.

sl80
    Free Member

Must of been the 16 that came with sektors and 1×10.
    Go for it OP, you won’t be disappointed.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Have asked what the best price is outside of ebay – its where I bought my last bike from so hopefully get it down to nearer my budget!

Vortexracing

I have one with 140mm pikes and some blingy stuff (carbon wheels and cranks etc)it weighs 28.5lbs and I must admit I’m quite taken with it.

It did however take a few months to be comfortable on it, I came from a 26″ wheeled Turner 5 spot.

For a 115mm travel bike it seems spot on even in the rocky lake district. On trail centres its a hoot !!!

I think it’s safe to say they are built like a ‘brick out house’

chopchop
    Free Member

I love my Smuggler, running with Yari at 150mm and a fox shock. I’ve had many 29er frames and this is about the best so far. It’s not light but rides like a lighter bike. Cable rattle can be a PITA but no other issues for me.
    I lust after the new longer travel Sentinel but in reality I don’t need it, the Smuggler is that good.

Edit- the rear tyre clearance on the seat stay brace is poor on my earlier frame but this was resolved 2016 onwards. I’ve had no issues with a minion dhr

rene59
    Free Member

The smugger is a great bike, I built up a 2016 frame and it’s the most capable all round bike I’ve ever tried. They done a great job designing that frame to get so much out of 115mm travel, it feels endless when setup right.

transition1
    Free Member

I have a 2017 Smuggler frame I built up, running mine with 140mm Ohlins forks, I love the bike went XL also have a 150mm reverb, very capable bike had all parts for frame from a 29er hard tail hence frame only

RicB

Transition make great bikes that seem suited to UK riding. The Sentinel looks epic but probably overkill for most UK riding. Short-travel 29ers are definitely the way forward now I think.

Suspect my next bike will be a 2018 Smuggler or a FlareMax.

nt80085

I’m also considering a smuggler 2017 frame too as they are on discount. Coming from a 26er Bandit which is great fun but hard work up hill. As I will be building a complete new bike I’m unsure whether paying the extra for a 2018 boost frame is worthwhile (an extra £500). Not sure I would notice the difference in the boost hub for Exmoor, Quantock riding. Only thing would be having the latest standard before it no doubt changes again.

Also considering a Flare max after a demo the other day too.

RicB

The 2017 frames are bargaintastic at the moment. Metric shocks do seem a bit better wrt small bump compliance having ridden a few bikes with them on.

Not sure I would notice the difference in the boost hub for Exmoor

I doubt most people would notice the difference anywhere! Spend an extra £250 of your £500 saving on the wheels and you’ll get far more benefit than you will from the 2018 metric shock and cheaper Boost wheels imo

Coming from a 26er Bandit which is great fun but hard work up hill

Really? Mine’s great, absolutely flies uphill!

deanfbm
    Free Member

My smuggler was ace.

Alex

Exmoor, Quantock riding

– I just came back from there. The Smuggler was fab fun on all sorts of different types of trails we were shown.

I had a look at the new ones at the cycle show. The fella I was speaking too talked me through the incremental improvements and they all sounded good, but not sure I’d notice the difference. If I changed mine, I’d wait for the carbon version assuming they make one.

@nt – I also have a flare max as well. As I’ve said above, they’re – to me – very different to ride. One day I’m going to ride them back to back on the same trails and do a proper comparison.

nt80085

Ric – running ex823 DH wheels prob isn’t helping the climbing on the bandit, excuses tho really. Good for improving fitness!

any recommendations for non boost wheels, thinking hope tech xc’s.

Alex – which is more fun in your opinion? Actually daft question that, too subjective!

RicB

Alex – which is more fun in your opinion? Actually daft question that, too subjective!

Also keen to hear this from Alex. I know it’s opinion but it’s informed opinion – far more than we usually get on here!

any recommendations for non boost wheels, thinking hope tech xc’s

Would take a good argument to persuade me to buy anything other than Pro4 or DT350 hubs on XM481 rims

bigjim

I have WTB KOMs on my smuggler on DT350. No going back to noisy hubs after the DT!

Alex

From another thread

I *think* the smuggler needs to be ridden more aggressively. I run mine with a 140mm fork (130mm is the normal build but most people seem to run them 140mm). The rear end is definitely more plush than the flaremax and feels bottomless. To get the best out of it, you need to be riding it almost more like a hardtail, really focussing on getting over the front. Then it just climbs into corners like a mad thing.

It’s taken me a while to gel with the smuggler. Last night was the first time I really felt like I’d ‘got it’. The FlareMax was fantastic out of the box, I just felt super comfortable on it and was as quick as I ever am from the first ride. It inspires confidence however crap you’re riding that day and can do anything. Mine’s been to BPW twice, Antur, Lakes, etc and only a couple of times would I have wanted a ‘bigger’ bike.

If that’s all a bit TL;DR my current summary is the FlareMax is fun everywhere but the smuggler – for me – is a little bit more fun on our local FoD trails if you’re prepared to push it. This could be new bike glasses and I reserve the right to revise my opinion!

Alex

having just come back from a ride on sone great, but tight and extremely rooty trails which are damp after a night’s rain, I’m still pretty much of that opinion.

When you let the Smuggler go and trust it’s going to grip, it feels absolutely sorted. When you don’t it feels like quite a long 29er that’s quite hard work getting it through tight, steep tree lined trails with off camber wet roots out to get you 🙂

For some reason I find it harder to jump than the Cotic as well. Might just be conditions. Might be because i’n rubbish. First day I had it, I couldn’t keep the blooming thing on the ground so it’s probably me.

I still don’t feel I’ve ridden it enough or the FlareMax on 29s to say anything definitively other than they are different but both fantastic bikes. When I’m back from hols next weekend, I’m going to do that back to back test. On trails I know well. Probably with someone to ride ‘the other one’ to get a second view.

It still won’t be quantitative but it might be a bit less waffly!

Alex

Oh wheels I’m running Stan’s Arch Mk3 (currently uncracked!) on an American classic rear and hope front. I do like the AC but I had a spare so it was a no brainer.

chiefgrooveguru

For some reason I find it harder to jump than the Cotic as well. Might just be conditions. Might be because i’n rubbish. First day I had it, I couldn’t keep the blooming thing on the ground so it’s probably me.

I think the Smuggler has quite a linear leverage rate whilst the Flare is more progressive, which would explain that difference.

RicB

I think the Smuggler has quite a linear leverage rate whilst the Flare is more progressive, which would explain that difference.

It would indeed, although Poah raves over his Smuggler with a DB Coil IL shock, and you’d think a linear rate bike would be bobby and soggy as hell with a coil

chiefgrooveguru

Coil shocks are less “soggy” than air shocks – the spring rate is constant rather than falling and then rising rate. And with a Cane Creek you can use the HSC to stop it bottoming out too easily.

RicB

I agree that’s the theory but ime the increased suppleness from a coil means they can be pretty soggy. Although that’s a few years ago before decent LSC adjustment was available.

Sounds like the FlareMax has quite a bit of antisquat designed in too, which will make it a bit firmer around the sag point and help with jumps etc.

nt80085

2017 frame in lime ordered, let the fun begin!

whyter

Anyone else around 6 foot 2 in height? What size Smuggler did you go for? Got my eye on one, but cannot decide between L and XL.

transition1
    Free Member

Am 6ft with long torso & short legs have an XL can still fit 150mm dropper & running 50mm Stem & 760 bars also has 1deg angleset & 140mm forks with 10mm spacer under Stem

whyter

Thanks transition1 – sounds like an XL will be fine for me too.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Aren’t they supposed to be quite progressive, with a strong ramp up at the end to deal with being designed to run 33% sag? The stock shocks are LL tunes.

Either way OP, enjoy. I’ve just bought a Scout and really really like it – it’s a bit heavy for the travel but is great fun for charging about on.

bonni

I had a demo on 2017 Smuggler in XL. At 6’2.5″, longish legs and arms (not a knuckle scraper mind), it fitted pretty well. I could easily get over the back wheel, but felt comfortable and roomy enough when seated. Really nice and agile. My next buy hopefully.

km79
    Free Member

Aren’t they supposed to be quite progressive, with a strong ramp up at the end to deal with being designed to run 33% sag? The stock shocks are LL tunes.

Mines seems to be quite progressive anyway in that it feels quite supple over small stuff but takes a bit to go through all 115mm of it’s rear suspension.

bigjim

The suspension action is very progressive but I don’t know if that’s the shock or the leverage, certainly a couple of bands in the air can adds to this. Someone will be along with a graph and an armchair opinion no doubt!

thedude
    Free Member

The warranty on 2018 models is also 3 years now.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i love mine. haven’t been out on it in ages. i need to sort that out…

bloody roadie 🙄

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just for balance I’m 6ft1 and I ride a large frame Smuggler! Good bike!

doom_mountain

Just for more / less balance I’m 5 10 and also ride a large.
    It is a great bike though, perfect (for me) allrounder.
    Feels more conifidence inspiring than my old 150mm frame but that did have tiny wheels 😉

Vortexracing

Just spent Sunday around Grizedale on mine, it was fantastic down wide fast rocky drops like the Fox, but certainly felt a little more of a handful when going slow (mincing) down some of the more narrow trails. It certainly feels more confidence inspiring going quicker

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Transition Smuggler 2017’ is closed to new replies.