Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Transition Patrol 2017 – real world reviews?
  • lister

Seen the NX base model for a good price. Yari etc. All looks good, basic kit and a very tidy looking frame with a proper B.B.!
    What are transition like for reliability, pivot bearing life etc?

Anyone got one, is it as good as ‘they’ say?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2017 Scout and love it.nive only has it a few months so can’t comment on bearing life etc.

It’s a bit heavy for a bike with that much travel but it’s a hoot to ride. I imagine that the Patrol will be the same, just bigger.

poah
    Free Member

I would make sure the bearings are packed with grease and don’t expect them to last long.

Bike needs to be ridden hard to get the most out of it. The deluxe is better than the monarch. chainstays can problematic for cracks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tops5
    Free Member

Recently changed the bearings on my 2016 after well over 18 months of hard use including Antur Stiniog, Lakes, Ard rock etc.

Love mine – cant see me changing it any time soon

wl
    Free Member

Mate’s Transition always had a loose back end – too many pivots. Rode well enough tho. Might not be so much of an issue on newer bikes.

typer
    Free Member

I’ve got 2017 patrol and it’s been rock solid since day one, all the bearings are still going strong and I’m pretty unsympathetic in my riding and have been known to jet wash the thing every now and again 🙂

Great fun to ride as well.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

too many pivots

Same as any 4 bar/Horst link/VPP bike

I would make sure the bearings are packed with grease and don’t expect them to last long.

Low quality bearings used or an issue with the way they’re mounted? Nothing unusual about the design looking at pics

mindmap3
    Free Member

chainstays can problematic for cracks.

Are they? Not heard that one or seen owt on the likes of MTBR / PB where that sort of stuff normally goes nuts.

I have seen one or two grumbles about bearing quality though. Mine seem ok so far and it’s been bloody wet since I’ve had it.

bigjim

I have a smuggler, it’s been great, bearings are pretty well protected, nearly 4000 steep wet Scottish km and I’ve only changed the bearings once, though I never jetwash.

I think there have been a few carbon patrol rear ends going in nz, but that’s the polar opposite of the style of riding I do here anyway.

fathomer

I’ve got a Scout and love it.

However, the bearings don’t seem to last well before they seize. Approaching 4k kilometers in the last 18months and I’ve just put the fourth set in.

poah
    Free Member

Not heard that one or seen owt on the likes of MTBR / PB where that sort of stuff normally goes nuts

It’s not that they are like lappeires but they can go. Read the patrol/scout/ suppressor thread on PB.

Bearings are low quality and generally low on grease.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have a 2015 Scout. Best bike I ever owned or rode. If I ever buy a next bike, it will be a Transition.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

too many pivots

Oh dear.

2018 smuggler on order, can’t wait

submarined
    Free Member

2016 patrol here. I bloody love it.
    When I got it I pulled all the bearing seals and packed them with grease. Most of them were borderline dry. Still on then over a year later, including multiple uplift day’s, Ard rock, Cannock, south downs grit etc

I think I should be itching to change it, but I’m not. There’s literally no bike out there I want more.

bigjim

However, the bearings don’t seem to last well before they seize. Approaching 4k kilometers in the last 18months and I’ve just put the fourth set in.

complete opposite of my experience!

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 scout and as above I absolutely love it.
    I would also agree that the bearings do need some attention and more frequent maintenance (in the peak anyhow).
    Even good quality max enduro ones can suffer (especially the lower BB ones)

I changed mine last week and got some good quality marine grease which I’ve used to repack them

Over thing to note is that there are 4x 3802-2RS which for some reason I can’t quite work out cost £20 each.

Patrol or an airdrop edit will almost certainly be my next bike

poah
    Free Member

Think you are looking in the wrong places for bearings

Mugboo

Merlin have some discounted Transitions.

rs
    Free Member

I heard some 2016’s came with little grease in the bearings, 2017 were better, I had one of the first 2017’s and the shop said they checked the bearings and they were fine. Its been fine in the year and a bit i’ve had it. I found it performed great if I was charging hard, but too firm if cruising a little more, removing tokens softened it up a little, made it more plush and comfortable.

lister

Thanks for all your comments. Still tempted but I’d like to sit on it but the shop is too far away. Ah well…

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

I’ve really liked mine. it was the 2017 model and I have just put fresh bearings in after 12 months of ownership maybe only 6 months of riding though due to injury. Shameless plug alert Mines for sale (Sentinel on the way)
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2263073/

Its a custom build, not the NX build and you could test ride it in the lakes!

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have been looking at them. Looks awesome, but thinking that they are too much bike for my needs.. Looks like you need to rag it to get most out of it

darrenspink
    Free Member

too many pivots

Just enough I think they would say, if you compare it to orange then there are a good few more! However it just means if you crash and break/crack a part of your rear triangle you don’t have to replace all of it.

tuomoe
    Free Member

2015 Patrol here. Also had some issues with the bearings but other than that I really like the bike. It’s a big bike but really versatile. Also quite forgiving, doesn’t require you to ride aggressively for it to work. Pedals notably better than my previous kona process 153 too. Been itching for a new bike for a while but haven’t really found one which would be a notable improvement yet. Just got a coil shock for it, interested to see how that turns out.

jamj1974

2016 Patrol. Follow the Transition guidance for pivot bolts and they won’t come loose. No issues with bearing wear – I ensured they were all suitable greased and none have been problematic.

Bike rides really well – always enjoy it and it is far more capable than me! As for breakages I weigh 100kg nekkid and significantly more when I am in ridding gear. 6’ drops and lots of rock gardens have not broken anything yet. Fingers crossed!

stewartc
    Free Member

Been running a 2017 Patrol Carbon for 10 months/2700km.

Regreased the bearings at 1600km but otherwise been running fine and I have a slight reputation for destroying stuff.

I think the early releases had issues with the cable management on the chain stays but can’t say I have heard anything else.

Metric Super Deluxe is good but fitted a Push 116 which is betterer.

Superb bike, only real drawback is its a tadge heavy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Transition Patrol 2017 – real world reviews?’ is closed to new replies.