Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Transition lenses, yay or nay.
  • chip
    Free Member

Going for an eye test tomorrow, and will probably be purchasing my first pair off glasses since I was at school many years ago.
    On the one hand Transition lenses seem to make sense, but on the other I have never been one for wearing Sunglasses anyway.
    So are there drawbacks to transition lenses.

2hottie
    Free Member

Do NOT buy.

I have a set that are now reseved for driving at night. After they didn’t change back quickly enough on a rainy yet sunny day an my wife said i look like a sex offender whilst wearing them. I realised then I look like an arse!

BigDummy
    Free Member

my wife said i look like a sex offender whilst wearing them

I’m not sure your experiment entirely isolated the effect of the glasses here.

😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you value your image (pun intended) avoid like the plague. I caught a reflection of myself wearing some on a rainy day in Manchester with the lenses in a partial-tint. I looked ridiculous and never wore them again.

hora
    Free Member

They always seem partially tinted! So at the least abit weird to creepy as people will think ‘wearing sunglasses and its grey or indoors’?

scotroutes

For cycling, hillwalking, paddling, general outdoor stuff – yes. I’ve been using Oakley Transitions for year, day and night. They don’t work for driving though

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

For riding use they’re great but the perma-tint of react-to-light glasses for normal wear still reeks of naff.

steveoath
    Free Member

Bike? Yes.

Dsy to day? Hope you like getting “looked at”.

CountZero

I have a pair of Rayban Lennons with DriveWear photoreactive lenses, which do go darker in the car, but are fairly dark all the time. I frankly couldn’t give a toss what other people think if it’s a dull day and they’re dark.
    As for ‘sex offender’, really? I’m struggling to think of anyone caught doing nasty things who wears dark glasses, and I see plenty of people wearing Transitions-type lenses around anyway.

scotroutes

CountZero – Member

As for ‘sex offender’, really? I’m struggling to think of anyone caught doing nasty things who wears dark glasses, and I see plenty of people wearing Transitions-type lenses around anyway.

andybrad

had these for years.

On day to day glasses they are so and so… Basically anytime your outside even in pouring rain it looks like your wearing sunglasses. if the frames suit this isnt much of a problem. However over time ive found it makes your eyes more sensitive to very bright light.

I just use them on the bike now or when i actually want something like sunglasses. Ive had some oakley marshall glasses done witht hem so they are half and half between sunglasses and normal specs.

jeff

Got my first ever pair for driving. They never seem to be quite dark enough for the conditions. And then outside, they are dark when they don’t need to be.

They’re ok for a cheap second pair, but full time use, no way. Next time I’ll just get a standard sunglasses tint and swap glasses.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I had some glasses with the extra sensitive transition lenses so they would go dark behind a motorcycle visor (windscreens and visors tend to block uv). They worked well in that respect but I wouldn’t buy them again because they went dark when exposed to any light so I got the sunglasses effect mentioned above. Worst of all if I went into a slightly gloomy pub I’d struggle to see what beers were on offer until they’d had ten minutes or more in the gloom.

For cycling I love transitions but for general wear no thanks.

cupra
    Free Member

10 mins to change? Not sure what you bought there. I use mine as every day glasses and for driving except at night, can’t fault them and it sure beats faffing about with two pairs. Yes they have a slight tint all the time but as my eyes have always been sensitive to light this suits me fine.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

You’ll look, as others mentioned, like a kiddie-fiddler.

Get contacts and proper sunglasses*

glasses / contacts wearer for 20+ years.

chip
    Free Member

Test done, glasses needed for reading only so no need for transitions.
    But was sent home with a letter for my GP because pressure test showing too high in one eye.
    And due to the reason behind the test in the first place was that I have had a headache for over two weeks now hopefully the headaches will end soon one way or another.

Rubber_Buccaneer

glasses needed for reading only

Welcome to old age. Please take a seat before you have a fall (you don’t fall over anymore, you have a fall). Would you like a Rich Tea to suck on?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Transition lenses, yay or nay.’ is closed to new replies.