Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Transition Covert owners?
  • SBrock
    Free Member

I have just bought a Transition Covert 2 – it was advertised on the For Sale thread

pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97246145@N05/

Just wondering if any Covert owners have any opinion on 150mm or 160mm forks?

Is it best to go with 160mm?

I ride the Dark Peak

The bike will be set up with Pro2/Flows, dropper post, 70mm stem, 720 bars

Any advice would be appreciated!

chopchop
    Free Member

Congrats on the new bike, I love my Coverts. I’d stick a nice burly 160mm on it (fox36, BOS, lyrik, marz66, xFusion) and ride it how it was designed to be ridden. A CCDB is a great upgrade to the shock as well if you dont mind the weight.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I don’t own one myself, but do know there is the transition bikes owners group on facebook – someone there might be able to help

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Got a 29er version here with 140’s, but I’d echo chopchop’s advice. Its definitely a bike that doesn’t want to be ridden timidly. It wants you to grab it by the scruff of its neck and spank its backside – so the burlier the better. It pedals very nicely so carries the weight that comes with burliness well, and you’ll be rewarded on the way down. I’m loving mine.

bramblerash
    Free Member

I’ve got some 160mm BOS Devilles on my covert and absolutly love it, point it down hill and it’s brilliant but it’s still more than capable at going up hill, a brilliant all rounder, you’ll love it 😀

SBrock
    Free Member

Thanks guys – great that there are some owners on here!

Sold my SC Butcher a year – TBH was not impressed with it.

Looking forward to getting my bike built up for some Dark Peak bashing!

Fox 36s & Lyriks are like rocking horse shit around these parts!

Heard the Marz 55s are plusher than Fox & RS so not ruling them out!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Do a search there was a Covert thread a coulple weeks back inc a picture of mine (mk 2) at Mam Tor

I have old Fox 36 Talas 150’s as those were the forks i owned. I test rode a mark 1 with 160s and it ride very nicely. Btw i think mk2 means first one with boot through rear axle. If i had the cash I’d upgrade to 160s partly as the forks are quite old now and the Covert is my “Alps/big” bike and I need the re-assurance 😉

Its a great bike

SBrock
    Free Member

look like i may end up buying some new Fox 36 floats

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sbbrock – so here’s a question for you, would you rather have a new frame and used 150’s or a used frame and new fox 36 160’s ?

I think yous is model before mine as rear is not bolt through

SBrock
    Free Member

used frame and new 160s

SBrock
    Free Member

i dont mind about normal QR at rear

banks
    Free Member

they are rated up to 180, but transition say 160 is what they are designed around.

tomglass20
    Free Member

Let me make it nice and easy for you, iv had 150 revs on mine then, 160 lyriks and now xfusion slants for £450 from freeborn and they are the bomb duffer. Stiff, light, plush and (most) importantly simple

SBrock
    Free Member

X – Fusion Slant – they look very interesting….. are they really that good?

It pains me to pay £800 for FOX

jedi

marz 55’s for the win

tomglass20
    Free Member

I’m my opinion they are very good, track very well when buzzing along singletrack. Take big hits and jumps nicely no harshness and as I said before nice to setup up. I struggle to understand (can’t be arsed) high and low speed compression, so to have a fork I can get out of the box pump up set the rebound and go is great. The rebound has very diffinitive clicks which make a considerable difference to the fork making the setup of it very easy. It even highlighted my rear shock was setup poorly once I got going.

exorsexist
    Free Member

Awesome bike had mine for nearly 2 years. Have 170mm 55 RC3 Evo’s up front that are just incredible forks but pricey over here 🙁 I would probably get some x fusions if I was buying them in UK.

Did have an RC4 at the back but the weight was just too much for 20+ milers so swapped for a fox air can this year – doesn’t cope as well DH but I’ll take the trade off for lower weight overall.

Done everything on mine from natural singletrack to trail centres to uplifted DH days. You won’t be dissappointed!

SBrock
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

Excited now, to be honest on my old Fox 36 RC2 the low and high speed compression did my head in, think I’m gonna order the X Fusion they £409 new – bloody bargain me thinks!

alfabus
    Free Member

55 RC3 Ti for the win 🙂

Dave

banks
    Free Member

Marz would be awesome if you could find them!

I ran the XF vengeance forks on them for a bit – just as good as the marz but they are quite tall – you can run both 26 & 27.5 wheels in them so i’ve gone back to me fox 36’s

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above if you’ve money for new forks then definitely 160’s, the bike I test rode was 160’s and it rode really nicely on tight twisty technical stuff and climbed well too with no front lift. As I posted that being said I’m very happy with it using the 150’s I had as/when I have the upgrade cash it will be getting 160’s

Enjoy it it’s a wonderful bike which will love those rocky fast descents in the Peaks.

jairaj

I had go on some Marz 55 RC3 Ti and they were lovely. If they weren’t too burly for my needs I’d have snapped up a pair.

Also the new Pike will be out soon does that come in 160 flavour?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Fox 36, 160 Talas here for what its worth. It’s what the test bike had so it never occurred to me to try anything else. They feel sweet as but not tried anything else to compare to be fair
    Got the last 2012 ones in the UK last year too. Probably because everyone was clearing stock to make way for 34 650b’s.

SBrock
    Free Member

I think the zochhi 55 rc3 ti are very worthy!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Transition Covert owners?’ is closed to new replies.