Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Transition Covert, Best bike ever?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Just built up my Covert and I took it for a quick run down the local woods and was amazed by just how good it is. Then saturday I did a local 55k XC route and was neck and neck with my riding buddy on his XC rig on the nasty climbs and feeding him dirt on the downs.. and he has a triple I have a single with a oneup 42t, our fitness levels are perfectly matched.
    amazing bike, really couldn’t be a happier man at the moment, here are some pics

I have since addressed the reverb cable issue and will be shortening brake hoses etc in the near future before anyone points it out…
    What says stw?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I preferred my raleigh commando (but I was 12).

kayak23

Nice.
    Is your front rotor rotating the right way? I thought the wider ends of the shape sorta trailed, rather than led?
    Careful that stick doesn’t move on the pedal.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I have just been given a raleigh trail for my tallbike project by a mate, 501 reynolds steel, not too bad looking

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Not my cup of tea. But if you like it that’s all that counts.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I did think that about the rotor but writing outwards seemed to make sense..
    and the stick stayed there till i removed it despite the wind, don’t ask how!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Chunky I know what you’re saying and I was indecisive about it but it pedals extremely well and weighs 32lb, plus it descends like a missile on rails, why go for anything smaller was my final line of thought… but as you say, opinions are what count

Sancho
    Free Member

totally agree with you

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think they’re the best bike ever, but am biased. Its a fun bike, it wont suit people from the ‘serious crowd’. Its very competent at pretty much anything.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I had a tonne of fun on mine and it’s still the easiest bike to jump and pump that I’ve ridden. It’s certainly a good 2nd option if you don’t want to be ‘just another Orange 5’ rider.

njee20
    Free Member

and he has a triple I have a single with a oneup 42t, our fitness levels are perfectly matched.

Some part of that statement isn’t true, or… either you’re trying harder on the climbs or your fitness levels aren’t perfectly matched.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I preferred my raleigh commando

I had one of those! Not tried a covert, though so can’t give an honest comparison.

prezet
    Free Member

I love mine. I find it a bit of a slog on the climbs (but I’m not a great climber anyway) – but pointing it downhill always brings a huge smile to the face. And that’s what it’s about right?

Del

fence wants treating.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Some part of that statement isn’t true, or… either you’re trying harder on the climbs or your fitness levels aren’t perfectly matched.

We have the same general fitess although I may be slightly on top at the mo as he’s missed a couple of rides. My point stands though that the 160mm Covert (aided by talas down to 100mm) climbs (pretty much) just as well as his mount vision 120mm..

toys19
    Free Member

I think so, I have a lovely yellow one, and wouldn’t swap it for the world.

banks
    Free Member

Mu covert climbs much better at 160 than 100 – convert those talas to floats, won’t regret it.

ransos
    Free Member

Its a fun bike, it wont suit people from the ‘serious crowd’.

Pedalling 32lbs of bike uphill isn’t my idea of fun, but each to their own.

kimbers

convert those talas to floats Pikes, won’t regret it.

and this is my covert beating wonder bike

(ive never ridden a covert)

craighill
    Free Member

Can’t wait to finish mine, pic is a bit old I now have everything except rims.

A mint, like new 2012 frame, with all the important bits, pikes, flow ex on pro2 evo hubs, 1×10, reverb

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

nah, needs to loose 10lbs before I’d enjoy it.

godzilla
    Free Member

Nearly finished mine, looking forward to my first ride this weekend.

bigyinn
    Free Member

We’ll see about the downhills young fellow…..
    Assuming I ever actually get round to riding my bike.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yes bigyinn shall look forward to it, gloppy at the moment though..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ransos, mine weighs in at 33lbs, but despite that it is fun on the climbs. You won’t be the first up to the top, but not too far behind, and it is very manouverable, is great on tricky technical climbs, and even I can pop wheelies around tight climbing switchbacks.

ransos
    Free Member

Ransos, mine weighs in at 33lbs, but despite that it is fun on the climbs.

As I say, each to their own. Personally, I loathe pedalling heavy bikes uphill.

kimbers

ransos – Member
    As I say, each to their own. Personally, I loathe pedalling heavy bikes uphill.

Personally, I loathe riding noodly, out of their depth, lightweight bikes downhill 8)

craighill
    Free Member

got mine built today, im on borrowed wheels for now so excuse the purple hubs, I will have flows on black hope hubs 🙂

only had a quick ride down the local trans pennine trail to the little quarry, very, very impressed.

toys19
    Free Member

Personally, I loathe riding noodly, out of their depth, lightweight bikes downhill

Me too. The point of MTB is the downs, and the corners, I try to optimise my bike for that and just put up with the ups..

To quote myself on a previous covert thread:

Covert because mtb is actually about going downhill, the going up is just a means to end, anything else is losing sight of why we are here (on stw). Preferring xc over going downhill to do fast corners and jumping is like quitting sex so that you can spend more time perfecting your chat up techniques.

PS Nice bike.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Interesting thread there toys, I did consider the bandit too but having a hardtail means i don’t need to compromise. Is yours still at 34lb? I think I’ll be going tubeless and losing the bash, ideally I want to be as close to 30lb as possible.
    Any pics of yours?
    P.S. Cheers!

toys19
    Free Member

down to 33, with a lev. which is marginally lighter and a lighter saddle.
    If I put on air forks, tubeless and got rid of the front mech, chain device/bash (ie go 10 speed with thick thin and a clutch mech) then I might see 30lbs.
    will dig out the pics.

zerocool

The missus has a stock Covert and absolutely loves it. Last year she was upsetting many of the TLD clad French Morzine locals by catching them and asking them if she could pass. Yet it can still be pedalled all day pretty easily (and thats a 5’5 girl on a 34lb bike). A better allrounder than my Alpine 160 for sure.

Tom kP

craighill
    Free Member

just to echo said above, done a lap of gisburn today, first ride on the covert, a real slow one as my riding buddy was made up with cold and was struggling, but absolutely awesome, pedalled up the main climb at the side of the hope line with no problems, slight bit of bob but never noticed any difference from my old 140mm stumpjumper, only on rear steep stuff front end gets a little light with the 160mm pikes, but not a problem, minces the downs, never have I decended with as much speed, control and confidence, and more than anything-enjoyment.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Hell yeah! The covert is a great bike! Took me a few rides to get to grips with it coming from the mighty Ragley Blue pig but absolutely love it.

For all those who couldn’t possibly ride something sooooo heavy up hill, sounds like you need to work on your fitness and/or stop worrying so much about strava times on your local trail centre fire road climb.

(You might want some Aloe Vera for that burn!)

John

godzilla
    Free Member

johnnyboy666, did you get your CCDB from TF tune for the covert and have you get their setup info sheet with your base tune on?
    If so can I get the settings please?

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Hi Godzilla, yes I did get it from TF but they didn’t put a set up sheet in the box. When I phoned them they said it would be the base tune that is recommended on the Cane creek lounge. I have put about 3 clicks of extra low speed compression on as it felt a tad soggy to me.

http://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension/dbair-cs/base-tunes

John

crotchrocket
    Free Member

if you think the ally one is good. I have to tell you: the carbon one is a bit shit 😀

maxtorque

How dusty is Chickey? ^^^^ Still flowing well? (due a visit soon you see 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Personally, I loathe riding noodly, out of their depth, lightweight bikes downhill

Agreed – it was a real problem 20 years ago.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

MaxT: at the min it’s running just about perfect.

Another week of sun, without rain, and it might get too dusty and driftyloose at the bottom of the berms.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Transition Covert, Best bike ever?’ is closed to new replies.