Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Transition Covert
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Does anyone here have one? Going to order one tomorrow, should I be considering anything else? I have a hardtail for proper mile munching but am after a bike I can play in the woods with on and start getting properly airbourne but also be able to pedal all day..
    And I’m going for a 26″, keeps the cost of the build down, and I like my retro wheels. Will I not be able to get tyres or wheels in 2 years time like the marketing wants me to beleive?

Northwind

I’m building a “new” high spec 26er, around a refurbed frame- I was planning to go bigwheel after the old frame cracked but I got a replacement triangle for it instead so refreshing the whole bike.

My prediction is that yes cool new stuff becomes scarce in 26, and over the next few years it’ll get harder to walk into a shop and buy things. But there’ll be stacks of used stuff as people switch to 650b, and sale stock, and it’ll still be possible to get what you want online- if maybe not precisely what you want.

The main thing is, the resale values of 26 inch parts are going to be lower… Pretty much zero I expect by the time I replace this bike. Personally I wouldn’t be buying a new 26er at the moment but I don’t mind dropping a fair wedge of cash on making my last 26er a bloody brilliant one, it’s still cheaper than the 29er frame I was going to buy. (probably a COvert, coincidentally!)

ymmv 😉

Sancho
    Free Member

it’s an awesome bike one of the best all-rounders on the market and probably the most reliable unbreakable

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kind of agree with Northwind, 4 guys on horses came round looking for some 26″ tyres last week.

BUT…
    If your not a serial bike swapper and understand whats going on it’s not a bad idea.
    When I look at my 26″ bike built just before the 650b revolution got to full speed the things I may need to replace are mostly not wheel size specific. I reckon it’s got 4-5 years in it unless I get richer soon.
    So I reckon I may need forks in 2-3 years if it comes to it some 650b forks will work fine.
    Rims – still going OK, if it’s looking like an issue I will just order 3/4 sets though with the number of 26″ still out there it’s not looking too bad.
    Rubber – the biggest worry really but again if it’s getting to be an issue I’ll fill the garage up.

kimbers

after the old frame cracked

probably the most reliable unbreakable

😕

edit – just realised northwind was talking about a different bike, but i though transition had a spate of cracking coverts?

http://forums.mtbr.com/transition-bikes/covert-v1-5-chainstay-broke-weld-818928.html

chrishc777
    Free Member

They all seem to have been sorted under warranty though…
    Wondering about wheel size now….

andyecc
    Free Member

I’ve had a covert (26 inch) for a couple of years. It’s fantastic – a great do it all bike with a bias towards descending and having fun. It will happily pedal all day but it’s not the quickest climber.
    If you want a bike that is almost as capable downhill but pedals better you could consider the Bandit, now available in 27.5 or 29 inch. Because I want something just a bit quicker than the Covert for all day rides I’ve just bought a new Bandit 27.5 to keep the Covert company. Haven’t quite finished building it up yet but hoping to be riding it this weekend. If it rides as good as it looks it’s going to be awesome.

dmorts

How much is the Bandit 27.5 frame going for new?

bungalistic
    Free Member

Bandit 27.5 is about £1450 for frame

toys19
    Free Member

Love my covert.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Love my Covert more. It just wants to go faster, always.

2012, 26″ wheels, matt black. Lovely looking bikes too, and this did sway the choice a bit.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m going for it! I looked at the bandit but I have a hardtail too so don’t really need to compromise..

I’ve never spent this much on anything bikewise but I feel I’m getting pretty much as much as I can from the HT now so time to move on, seeming I haven’t read a bad word about them, and I’m getting a great discount from my LBS I’m taking the plunge!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma of ‘Bandit or Covert’ and like you I have a 120mm hard tail and thought ‘Ah, what the hell, if you’re going to be a bear, be a grizzly!’. Covert wins.

kiwicraig

Recently built this:

There was a couple of months wait for a 650b and I had wheels n stuff kicking around. Not planning on swapping it for a good few years so figured the wheel size doesn’t really matter.

Loving it!

Northwind

Jef Wachowchow – Member

‘Ah, what the hell, if you’re going to be a bear, be a grizzly!’.

😆 I love that, cheers! Personally I’m more a panda.

variflex
    Free Member

wait until the 650b carbon covert comes out next year.
    Or go for the orange and black ALI frame now and then trade up next year to carbon in team colours…nice 🙂

If I had the cash thats what I would do.

zero-cool
    Free Member

The GF has a covert 26 2 in stock build. It rides brilliantly. I would say that my Alpine 160 has the edge over it for descending, but I think the covert pedals and climbs better. The CTD shock doesn’t seem to be slowing her down and as she hates fiddling with settings (weird I know) it suits her. They’re not the lightest, but if weight was everything we’d all be on carbon XC hardtails with seat posts on full extension complaining there’s not enough climbing on trails these days!

Tom KP

el_diablo
    Free Member

I’d recommend you take a look at the Banshee Rune, comes with changeable dropouts and easy enough to swap to 27.5 if the need arises.
    Great deals available form Rob @ Bike Active. Got mine with CCDB, Reverb stealth and a few other bits for less than rrp of the frame alone.

Banshee

Crag
    Free Member

I’ve just built this up

Covert by cragseds, on Flickr

Only ridden a handful of times but first impressions are very good. Not sure it climbs as well as my trusty old Zesty but seems to descend with much more assurance. Overall quite pleased with it. Just needs some Pikes now……………..

chrishc777
    Free Member

That actually looks good in copper, I went for the pewter one though.. Should turn up Monday!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sprockets cycles in Kilmarnock have a medium blue covert for 2.5k on their site, but they’ll take 2k for it. Lyriks on it, proper bargain.

kendo954
    Free Member

Reckon these pedal better than an orange alpine?

It’s on my short list for the next frame

RickDraper
    Free Member

Anything would pedal better than a Alpine!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Thought long about a covert but went for the bandit really love it, the transition guys know how to turn out great frames.

chrishc777
    Free Member

What foek would any owners recommend? I’m thinking u turn air lyriks, at least rc, if not rc2. like the idea of lowering the front on climbs, works well on my 456… plus air will keep the weight down and not going talas won’t break the bank…

banks
    Free Member

Don’t bother with Uturn or talas with the covert. climbs worse with lowered forks.

godzilla
    Free Member

Just ordered a Covert frame today to replace my Patriot, anyone built one with 170 Lyriks?

Trimix
    Free Member

With my Covert I find it climbs well, but if its really steep the Talas does help. But only when its so steep your only just going to make it.

Of course it does depend on things like leg power, grip, rider position. But, dropping the front will alter the geometry and stop the front lifting.

I find on every ride I do in say the Chilters / Wales / Yorkshire Ive needed to use the Talas at least once.

endurokid
    Free Member

I built this September 2013 and absolutely love it!

chrishc777
    Free Member

That looks nice endurokid, can’t wait!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very happy Covert owner here, definitely recoomend ine to you. Mine is setup as my alps / big bike but there sre plenty ridden as allrounders and I’ve ridden mine that way too. Of course 26 wheels forks etc will be available in 2 years time, it’s the size the vast majority of us are riding. As a slight aside all my kit is over 2 years old and it’s not broken or worn out (forks 7 years old although admittedly not heavily used)

Excuse to post photo

chrishc777
    Free Member

Did your frames come with rear axles? seems a bit strange to use a standard and not supply the axle.. considering they cost £30 and I’m already going to have to fork out 25 for a hub conversion kit

godzilla
    Free Member

What makes you think it won’t?

chrishc777
    Free Member

The guy in the bike shop saying I’d need one

endurokid
    Free Member

Axle will be included mate, if not I’d be asking why. (And cheers by the way!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chris, mine certainly did (2012 model first ones with bolt through rear axles)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Transition Covert’ is closed to new replies.