• This topic has 36 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Transition covert 2012
  • womble321
    Free Member

What do you all think & if you ride one any pics ?

Rickos
    Free Member

I couldn’t see any difference from the 2011 in the picture I saw. Is there any?

Sancho
    Free Member

no difference to geometry, but rear has bolt through back end.

im selling my 2011 white one for a 2012 blue one, should come in a week or so.

jedi

142x15mm back end the new ones

eyalsv
    Free Member

My 2012 Covert – changes from 2011 are: rear axle is now 142×12 (135×10 is optional), Kashima fox float rear shock and nicer graphics (IMO).

Coming off an intense Tracer VP, really love the Covert!!! It’s
    fun to ride and plenty capable.

Wheels are Industry Nine Enduro, full XO, RaceFace Turbine Stem 60mm and Answer ProTapper AM Carbon bar 720mm. Just added Rockshox reverb as well.

toys19
    Free Member

I have a 2011 one, its my bestest bike. Back end is stiff anyway but I imagine a 142 x15 will be awesome..

passtherizla
    Free Member

Currently trying to decide between the Covert and the Bottle rocket, I suspect the Covert will be better for the riding I do, but just love how the BR looks…. want badly.

toys19
    Free Member

jedi has a BR he loves it. And the BR.

passtherizla
    Free Member

yeah but if I buy a BR and then go to get Jedi’d I’ll look like I’m stalking him 😉 Raw IS the only nice colour IMO.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@passtherizla – well if you do by the BR and go to Jedi you will be able to definitively answer the “is it the bike or the rider” question !

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ha Ha… I think that is a foregone conclusion in this case.

Can you build a more freeride balanced covert 36mm stantions etc… that could still be ridden fairly easily at trail centres etc…?

Trimix
    Free Member

I have a 2012 one (and also a 2011 frame for sale).

For my style of riding its brilliant. You can ride up hills and plummet down them. You can ride XC and then turn up at Chicksands and have fun. You can enter it in the Bristol Bike fest and have fun, then go to the Alps for a week and not need to hire a DH bike.

Also the later frames have cable routing for uppydowny seat posts.

passtherizla
    Free Member

seems that you are doing what I would like to do with one…

toys19
    Free Member

Can you build a more freeride balanced covert 36mm stantions etc… that could still be ridden fairly easily at trail centres etc…?

Other than my dh bike the covert is now my only MTB, gets ridden everywhere.
    van 36
    avid elixirs 160mm f n r
    gravity gap cranks, bash, stinger
    xo shifters n mech
    halo freedom disc wheels
    reverb

36lbs.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Very capable bike and fine for xc, trail centres and light DH. I have a 2011 and just put a 10mm bolt through rear on – seems a bit stiffer.

I got mine from 18 bikes who were very helpful – get one, you wont be disappointed!

Trimix
    Free Member

The write up in Singletrack was pretty spot on actually.

If you only want one bike and enjoy XC, trail centers, jumps, drops and general messing about as well as trips to the Alps its pretty perfect.

If your 95kg or more you may find the shock needs tweaking if your into jumps and stuff like that. Ive just got a CCDB for mine which should be fitted soon. XC its fine, but for big stuff I had to pump it up a lot and it lost its ability to rebound properly.

passtherizla
    Free Member

no, no more than about 85 Kg here… Hmmm, might see bout selling the meta.

It’d have to get the CCDB or DSP dueller treatment.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Yeah as above – I’m going to get some volume spacers for my rp23 as the high volume can isn’t good for my weight!

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah same here, I got a smaller volume air can and its brilliant now. Talk to Mojo about rp23, v helpful on the phone and discussed the cheapest ways to make a difference.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I just rang Loco and will be getting some volume spacers for mine – seems like the simplest of solutions.

toys19
    Free Member

yeah they didnt have them when I did mine, its a recent thing.

I_Ache
    Free Member

passtherizla Covert is the way to go the BR is a bit too hefty. There are a couple of new Coverts on ebay for about £1100 at the moment.

If you want to replace the meta but use 160mm forks it would be best to get that with some form of travel adjust for the climbs. I use mine all the time.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yes, spacers should do the trick. I only went for the CCDB + Ti spring option as it was paid for by my company. I probably wouldnt have done that if it had been my own money.

If anyone wants to buy my old frame its going to be for sale soon as I can swop over shocks.

Trimix
    Free Member

I have Fox Talas on mine, a while ago we had a hill climbing challange session. My bike out climbed everyone elses. Everyone else was on a wide range of XC type bikes.

Being able to drop the travel for the steepest climbs made the difference. By steep I mean daft steep where only granny will do.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Cheers Andy, I think I’m sold on the covert, Got a few bits and pieces to sell that should bring in some money, Does anyone off hand know the metric i2i and stroke of the Covert… I have a 200×51 RP2 that I could use in the mean time if it will fit?

toys19
    Free Member

nope 190×50.

passtherizla
    Free Member

ta.

passtherizla
    Free Member

does the travel come from the linkages rather than the shock? just interested as I’ve never thought about it before this will only be my secodn full susser

Stevelol
    Free Member

It comes from both. You’ll notice something called ‘leverage ratio’ being thrown about which relates to how much the suspension linkage compresses the shock stroke (exposed part of the shock).

For what it’s worth I have a Covert. Used to ride a 2007 Enduro SL which was great, but the Covert is a lot stiffer, easier to pump and jump and climbs better.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The length of the linkage dictates the travel to shock movement ratio and then the length of the shock stroke dictates the travel.

EDIT: If you use a longer shock body than the frame is designed for ie 200 instead of 190 then the bike will be jacked up with steeper angles. Well that is unless the frame doesn’t top out first. Your travel will still be the same as both the shocks mentioned above are 50/51mm stroke.

passtherizla
    Free Member

thanks gents. 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

The covert has a leverage ratio of 3:1, so for a 2 inch shock you get 6 inches of travel.

Its quite an agressive ratio which is why not all shocks cope. Ive just got a CCDB for mine and got Stendtec to change the shim stack and oil weight to suit it.

jedi

i got the bottlerocket as the weight difference is minimal but the back end is hench compared to the covert. 5 and 6 in ch adjustable too.
    with my reverb it rides the nuts! 🙂

argyle
    Free Member

I was in Pedals in Edinburgh last night and they are offering a 10% discount on all Transitions as an opening offer…. if that helps

http://www.pedals-edinburgh.com/

Trimix
    Free Member

Sorry Jedi – despite doing a day with you I cant seem to recall what “hench” means 🙂

Can you translate that for me. Cheers.

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont buy a new one, buy my frame and shock and fit your own bits too it. (shameless plug, sorry)

jedi

hench = burly = bigger 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Transition covert 2012’ is closed to new replies.