Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Transition Bottlerocket for the Alps?
  • spw3

Hi All,

Just pondering one of these as a “next step” bike for Mrsspw3. And to be fair ‘new’ bike builds are fun even if it’s not for me.

We both currently ride Prophets for XC and they are a hoot.

Last year I beefed up her Prophet with 160mm Lyriks, big brakes/tyres and a coil shock that increased the travel to 150+mm

She’s not really interested in jumps or drops but something a little more hefty and reassuring might be nice. It looks like they could take the Totems i have lying around too. I was wondering whether a Bottlerocket would be a significant improvement for her? The chain stays are shorter than the Prophet but the wheelbase is a little longer. The BB is actually higher though and I’d have to shove in a slackset to match her Prophets 65 degree head angle (she has one of the less common 65/67 degree frames)

Any thoughts?

slowrider
    Free Member

Uplifts or up and down riding? Which year bottle Rocket?

spw3

Down riding only. It would basically be a play bike for the Alps, bike parks in the US when we visit her folks, and maybe BPW/Antur Stiniog.

I’ve seen one that looks like it is the first version (no machining on the linkage)

spw3

I hadn’t really considered them but the small frame size looks like it would fit her – she’s 5’2″ – albeit would fit her as a full size bike, not as the flickable slopetysle bike that was originally what Transition intended. The sizing looks broadly similar to her Prophet.

And they look like they are more or less indestructible which would be good bc despite being an inveterate pootler she has an uncanny ability to break things.

slowrider
    Free Member

Definitely bomb proof, of all the bikes I’ve owned that’s one of the few that neither me nor anyone I’ve known have broken. There were dozens of them in our riding group.

Surprisingly good all-rounder if you’ve got the legs too. Rear suss ain’t the most sophisticated but it does the job. I’ve seen them fitted with dual crowns but personally think 160mm is where they are best. If you can get a cheap slackset it would be worth messing about with. Enjoy!

spw3

Cheers slowrider,

If you took one to the Alps would you wish you had brought something else?

slowrider
    Free Member

Not at all, know plenty of people who took theirs to the Alps

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Transition Bottlerocket for the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.