Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Transition Bandit questions…about to push the button
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Been going backwards and forwards on what full sus frame to buy and have finally settled on the Bandit. If I’m realistic, it suits the sort of riding I do and will be a great all rounder. I was looking at a Rocket, but have ruled it out as Cotic are unable to even give me an indication of when frames will be in, and it’s probably overkill for my needs…albeit desirable.

Couple of questions:

1. I plan to buy a Large. I’m 6ft on a good day, normal proportions, 32″ inside leg. I like a comfortable bike, and will do some long rides on this frame. Does this sound right?

2. Is there any mileage in waiting to buy the frame? Am I likely to save any money by waiting until they start introducing 2014 frames? I doubt it very much, but thought I’d ask. Not sure how the industry works.

Cheers in advance.

dday

I’m 5’9 (on all days I think) and a large is spot on. Transition seem to change their lineups fairly frequently, so I don’t think there will be much in the way of savings. That seems more prevalent with the larger manufacturers who keep the same frame, just change components (and LBS’s keep plenty of stock.)

richen987
    Free Member

I ride a large and I am 6ft, seems bang on for me, it does not have the longest top tube so it intially felt a little bit more upright, but after a couple of rides of playing around with everything it now feel spot on. lovely bike, I use it for everything now.

daveh
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 1, long torso, on a large with 70mm stem. Bandits are quite short but I’m happy with mine, I guess wide 780mm bars help. The XL has a 21″ seattube so if you went up to that you’d pretty much rule out a dropper post. They’re designed for ripping and throwing around, long xc rides would rather miss the point (though it’ll happily do the odd one).

I think there were discounts a year or so back but i understand its far more likely that they’ll just go out of stock. I maybe wrong here but I’m sure I read somewhere that they’ll be going 650B next year.

Get it bought!

fatgit
    Free Member

My Bandit is a 2012 29er and is a Large and I’m 6foot.
    Used it for everyday riding and trail centre playing.
    Fantastic bike
    You won’t be disappointed
    Cheers
    Steve

banks
    Free Member

Short top tube so Large would be spot i reckon.

swavis

I’m 6’2″, 34″ inside leg and have just built up a large Bandit29. Absolutely brilliant bike. I think you’ll be fine on a large and I’d go for it now otherwise when you do get it you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner 😉

Pic of mine up above Kingussie last night 8)

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

…long xc rides would rather miss the point (though it’ll happily do the odd one)

Understood. My average ride is a 10-15 mile singletrack thrash, so just what I’m looking for, although I want somethin that will XC happily as I do some longer stuff occasionally for fitness.

daveh
    Free Member

…long xc rides would rather miss the point (though it’ll happily do the odd one)

Understood. My average ride is a 10-15 mile singletrack thrash, so just what I’m looking for, although I want somethin that will XC happily as I do some longer stuff occasionally for fitness.

Sounds perfect to me. There’s something about it that I haven’t quite been able to put my finger on, the balance between calm progress and cheeky monkey. My present thoughts are: the seatangle is very steep which pushes you towards the front and weights it up, not XC bike, but the front wheel tracks well. Drop the saddle and you’re left with a short playbike to be thrown around to your hearts content. I love the way the backend comes round on the brakes, makes me laugh every time, and if I were a better/fitter rider I’d use it to fire me down the next section of trail.

Deserves a decent beefy fork btw.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I had a test ride last year on a large Bandit 26. Same size as you, 6′ with 32″ inside leg. Loved it. I was used to a 2006 Heckler and it felt very similar in a lot of ways other than the rear was more active under power, more ‘poppy’ and marginally slacker at the front. The high single pivot of the Heckler effectively locks out / jacks under load which is good for traction in a lot of ways but perhaps a bit harsh for peddling hard through rough stuff. The Bandit was more compliant under load but still climbed like a goat.
    Really enjoyed the Bandit but I bought the Medium Covert instead as it is like a beach buggy come crosser in comparison.
    I still have the dilemma of whether the Covert is too big for the majority of what I ride and would swap out for a Bandit if I did go for less travel in the future.
    I believe that the Bandit changed to 142 x 12 in 2012 which may be a consideration depending on what hubs you have.
    This is the only major change for this bike as far as I am aware. I guess the only potential change would be the move to the 650b as I know Lars Steinburg is running a Bandit with these wheels in enduro events this year.

Get one, they’re lovely. Or a Covert if you want to be a hooligan.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I have a set of virtually new 150mm Revs which I’d planned to use on it, but not adverse to getting something different in time?

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there any mileage in waiting to buy the frame? Am I likely to save any money by waiting until they start introducing 2014 frames?

Yes and yes. Are you looking at 26″?

I certainly wouldn’t pay full price for a 26″ frame in the midst of the current tsunami of press releases abouut brands going 650b.

I reckon we’ll see bigger than normal discounts at the end of this model year, since the 26″ frames will all now be obsolete.

😉

dday

Agree with all that its a top bike. I have the Fox Talas 140’s, which do help on the steeper climbs to keep the front down, and handles everything on the way down.

The only thing I changed from my original spec was the wheels. Went for the Stans Crest and they have not lasted well. Moving to the Arch. This may be down to the fact that you cant help but thrash this bike!

Oh, and get a dropper post. Just because everybody should have one!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Yes 26″ for me…not sure I understand the question…you mean wheels come in different sizes??? 😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

dday – Member

Agree with all that its a top bike. I have the Fox Talas 140’s, which do help on the steeper climbs to keep the front down, and handles everything on the way down.

The only thing I changed from my original spec was the wheels. Went for the Stans Crest and they have not lasted well. Moving to the Arch. This may be down to the fact that you cant help but thrash this bike!

Oh, and get a dropper post. Just because everybody should have one!

I would be swapping bits off my hardtail, so have a KS Lev, and a set of Flows to go on it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes 26″ for me…not sure I understand the question…you mean wheels come in different sizes???

I like the cut of your jib.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I bought a medium bandit a few months ago (i’m 5’8) and custom built it up with existing parts and I love it. The top tube is pretty short but this helps keep the bike short and it’s super fun and playable because of it. A very good bike and highly recommended. I wrote a small sort of review about it recently – http://www.jackrabbitt.net/bike/transition-bandit 🙂

SoWhat
    Free Member

What like a Pike!!!!!????? 😀

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Nice Bungalistic…nice.

daveh
    Free Member

Depends how heavy you are I guess but as I’m around three figures in kg, the frame cashes cheques my Revelation can’t cope with. The creeks started about 4 months in. Pike, Slant; I’m even considering Lyrik and Vengeance which would likely be overkill but would definitely be able to keep up. Anyone else think the Pike is suspiciously light for what it appears to be, it’s witchcraft I tell thee.

SoWhat
    Free Member

Or a matching argyle 😯

bungalistic
    Free Member

I swapped the Lyrik on mine for a Slant instead, lighter and feels just as good, don’t miss the the travel adjust, have Slant set to 150mm

daveh
    Free Member

Or a matching argyle

Had that very thought myself, especially at OnOne’s price. Argyle is pretty old tech though isn’t it?

I swapped the Lyrik on mine for a Slant instead, lighter and feels just as good

Very interested to hear more on this. Was it a 160-130 lyric? How’s it feel being ‘limited’ to 150mm? How’s the Slant compare to the Lyrik in terms of damping, stiffness etc?

SoWhat
    Free Member

It would work if you had a matching cape 🙄

mega
    Free Member

I -really- like the look of transition bikes but the frames seem quite lardy. Being a superfit lean mean cycling machine myself (ahem) this puts me off them a wee bit.

Any owners views on this?

pigyn
    Free Member

cbmotorsport – They are lovely bikes, I have spent most of the year popping around on the lovely 29″ version.

We have one of the last large 26″ frames (black, 2013)left in the UK and are just about to list it as an offer for £1200, or with a nice matching set of X-Fusion Slants (34mm, 140 max) for a little bit more.

We can post throughout the UK if you aren’t local to us.

Give us a call if you want to have a chat – number on the website:

http://www.pedals-edinburgh.com/

tops5
    Free Member

If you’re superfit weight shouldn’t be much if an issue should it? I on the other hand am fat which is why I’m considering moving to one of these from a Covert 🙂

bungalistic
    Free Member

Very interested to hear more on this. Was it a 160-130 lyric? How’s it feel being ‘limited’ to 150mm? How’s the Slant compare to the Lyrik in terms of damping, stiffness etc?

My Lyrik was a coil u-turn. I’d run it at about 120 going up and 140/150 going down. Slant feels fine on 150 I don’t miss the travel adjust. I prefer the lighter fork up front, makes the bike easier to pick up over trail obstacles and just adds to it’s playful character. I’ve not noticed it feeling any less stiff despite it being a 34mm fork with 15mm axle. The Slant has no damping options like the Lyrik did but I haven’t felt like I needed any so far. It doesn’t blow through it’s travel as quickly as say a fox 34 (which i’ve also tried on this bike) but i’ve not really hammered it that hard yet so difficult to say how it performs in all conditions.

I -really- like the look of transition bikes but the frames seem quite lardy

My full build is around the 30lb mark. I could maybe shave 1 or 2 more off that but I prefer something that can take a little abuse and cope with the big rocks up here in The Lakes.

mega
    Free Member

ta – 30lb is fine for a bike with that sort of capability – i’m going to demo an bandit 26 and 29 I think.

daveh
    Free Member

[Quote]It would work if you had a matching cape[/quote]

Exactly so, with lumi yellow wheels! You’re a mind reader! Are you my wife? Shall we get a new kitchen?

daveh
    Free Member

Did you try it at 160 Bungalistic? Too much?
    (No pressure but your answer might just determine my next fork! 🙂 )

bungalistic
    Free Member

Did you try it at 160 Bungalistic? Too much?

I have to admit I did not try the fork at full travel, not sure why it just felt nice at the 140/150 mark so I left it. I have seen some builds with Lyriks so it obviously works for some people, I was looking at Pikes too but they are pricier and i’m not a black stanchion fan.

SoWhat
    Free Member

Back to the drawing board then Dave

jairaj

I’ve tried my Bandit with 150mm (I have a u-turn rev 120-150mm) and it felt fine 140mm is still the best. 160mm would be pushing it but I still think it would work if you like a slack front end but then why not get the Covert if you want that amount of travel?

To the OP – if you are going frame only ask about getting a BOS Vipr upgrade. I got mine for only £50 more and its much nicer than the Fox I tried on the demo bike. Well worth the extra money.

I wonder if next years 650B frame is actually much different or if they have just put different dropouts on the rear to accept the slightly bigger wheels?

daveh
    Free Member

why not get the Covert if you want that amount of travel?

It’s not that I want that amount of travel, it’s that RS dual position come with that amount these days. As i understand it, the Bandit was originally designed around a 130mm fork and an external headset, then came 140mm with internal. If you want to decide between a 150mm Pike and a 130-160mm, which do you go for?!!

funkybaj
    Free Member

There weren’t many left when I got mine about 2 months back. Supplier told me they were going 650b for 2014.

Love mine though, running 150mm up front, the bike is so playful and gives great confidence, can still pedal it all day though. They are quite short but I’m 5’11 running a large with a 50mm stem and it’s all good.

Got mine in lemon/lime and glad I did.

jairaj

If you want to decide between a 150mm Pike and a 130-160mm, which do you go for?!!

I’d go for 150mm Pike and then when the parts are available get a new 140mm air spring.

I have u-turn Revs (150mm – 120mm) on my Bandit and I never feel the need to adjust the fork travel, its always set at 140mm. It descends and climbs pretty well at that setting. but going to 150mm didn’t upset the handling too much either.

But if you have a fork you can use temporarily I’d wait till the new Revelation is out. The Pike seems like a very nice fork but seems a bit too burly for the Bandit but that just my personal preference.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

6ft with 32″ leg and on a large. With the saddle up I find there’s quite a forward weight bias which makes for a very planted front end if that’s your thing. The comments on it feeling quite short are true, but I wouldn’t dream of putting a longer stem on. It’s my “do-it-all” bike and I’ve not got near its limits yet but can happily report it’s very comfortable and not too much bike for all-day XC rides as well as being a surprisingly capable climber.

daveh
    Free Member

The Pike seems like a very nice fork but seems a bit too burly for the Bandit but that just my personal preference.

The Revelation suits the Bandit well but if you’re packing a bit of timber then a burlier fork can make sense imo. The Pike is barely heavier than the Revelation but should be a chunk more robust. After much deliberation I decided to go for a Slant, 34 mm stiffness and 160, 150, 140mm; whatever you like basically. This review (650B Slant) swung it for me, reliability better known, 2/3rds the price and performance in the same ball park.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Transition have just put some sneak peak shots of the new Bandit, Covert etc frames on fb: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151860470492387&type=3&l=9102c533f7

Have obviously gone 650b but have also upped bandit travel to 140mm out back

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Transition Bandit questions…about to push the button’ is closed to new replies.