Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Transition bandit 27.5"
  • ricky1
    Free Member

Thinking this might be the best compromise for my next bike,do mostly xc stuff but also have a stab at any enduro races in my area,quite partial yo throw it down some downhills also so need the strength,has any one had one/got one,would like to know the ins and outs,goods and bads,I want a Bronson but just can’t afford it and would probably wrap it in cotton wool and put it in a glass case iff I did get one,so is the bandit a fair compromise in the stwers fair opinion?

aroche
    Free Member

Bandit as a model is on the way out afaik.
    Transition are moving away from the single pivot based suspension design in their newer models, eg. patrol , scout

I have a bandit 26 btw, – awesome bikes ,though I am due a change, more due to innate fickleness than any shortcomings of the bike

aroche
    Free Member

The scout would probably be the “New bandit” I would think

ricky1
    Free Member

The scout only has 125 mm travel at the rear,the patrol has 140 but 160 (to much) on the front,again all about money,I would love next years bike but for now I’ll have to suffer with this years bike.

ceepers

I’ve got one. It’s really an amazing bike, it put climbs most of my mates and it flies downhill.

ceepers

Have a read on here there are some reviews

http://forums.mtbr.com/transition-bikes/bandit-27-5-a-875975.html

Can’t really think of a downside to mine, it bobs a bit when standing climbing but not much seated. I m more of a sit and spin climber. It was good enough for a 5th out of 80 on exmoor today on strava

It does blow through its travel descending according to the o ring on the shock but I’ve never felt it bottom out while riding. I have a soul too, the bandit is kinda like a full sus version almost. All my strava pr’s both up and downhill have been set on the bandit pretty much. It a takes a lot for it to feel out of its depth and it does invite you just to stay off the brakes and pop off stuff

I would say it’s closer to the solo /5010 than a Bronson though, I would have said a covert was closer to the Bronson. I demoed a covert, it was super plush and quick downhill and climbed surprisingly ok but seemed too much bike for the majority of my riding, the bandit has a better balance of cx and hooligan

ricky1
    Free Member

The way this thread was going I thought it was old news,last years news,wait there it’s a 2014 bike,so this year……ummmm I’m confused.
    What your saying is what I would like to hear ceepers,sounds good to me,I’m not minted,in fact I can’t really afford a bandit but I feel I’ve out travelled my current bike and feel it’s holding me back somewhat,I will be expecting it to climb rapidly and I’m a sit and spinner also,where did you get yours from?

aroche
    Free Member

Hard to fault the bandit as a trail bike in fairness.
    The suspension isn’t the most sophisticated, but, it’s simple, reliable and does the job, – and its poppy which is great fun.
    If you are building one up, – try to put pikes on it though. I have revs on mine, – they are good (waaaay better than 32mm foxes which i have also had in the past).
    If I was buildng it up again though, I would go with 150mm pikes.

ceepers

My lbs did a one off order from the distributor. I really wanted to support them

I demoed one from gravity bikes in Taunton.

http://www.gravitybikes.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=249_71_80

They have an ex demo one on sale now

Tamed earth were really helpful too and might have some stock. Personally I think climbing is more about the person pedalling – my mate today was on a 29er Scott spark and the bandit left him for dead but then I’m fitter so……

I’ve got sectors on mine cos I was on a budget too but I’ve heard that they are great with pikes at 150 as well. Careful with sizing, my soul is a small, my bandit is a medium the reach is almost the same. I run both with a 50 mm stem

h4muf
    Free Member

Just found a crack in mine 🙁

matther01
    Free Member

Not sure about 27.5, but my 26 has been great with pikes…but changed the fox ctd for a ccdb inline and slackened to 66.5 HA. Defo be sure about sizing as suggested but think the 27.5 is longer in the TT than the 26.

ceepers

Yeah the 27.5 is longer bit they still size up fairly small.

http://www.tamedearth.com/shop/transition-bandit-275/

Frame for £1100

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’ve had a mixed relationship with mine- a medium 27.5, and I’m just under 5’10. Bought new in February as a custom build, without demoing.

Sizing- as above, get it right. Until I put a 70mm stem on I thought it was too small- I’d still like to try a large but its an expensive change. I demoed a Spitfire and had it been cheaper, I would have switched.

The stock shock does bottom out easily- I have volume reducers to fit, but it comes with second largest in there already so not sure how much of a difference it will make. The Spitfire had a CCDB Air so a better shock. A CCDB Inline is on the want list.

Forks- ran mine at 140 for ages, took them apart to clean and popped them up to 160- feels better if i’m honest. Bottom bracket is low.

Its a good bike, still room for improvement.

ceepers

For reference I’m 5’6 and a half and I’m on a medium with a 50mm stem, it feels the perfect size for me

That mtbr thread has people liking the float x and the ccdb on them. To be honest I’m light (10stone) and the bottoming out hasn’t been an issue but I’d be interested to try them

mattbee

I’ve got a 26″ which I love, wife has just bought a 650b from Tamed Earth. Think they had 1 frame left in L (red), she had the last M one.
    She’s running X Fusion Forks at 150mm, rides really nicely. not had it long enough to faff with shock spacers yet.
    I’ve had to put a couple in my 26er, it was blowing thought he travel a bit quickly before.
    Have used it for all my riding from quick woods blasts through racing ‘Xc’ and full day bivvy trips, my hard tail is sitting in the shed in bits and I just don’t want anything else ATM..
    Mind you, Tamed Earth will have demo bikes of the new models in Jan, may well change my mind then….

matther01
    Free Member

There’s a nearly new red one on pinkbike for £850

ricky1
    Free Member

H4muf,what’s the score with your crack,how did it happen to the best of your knowledge,what are transition saying about it,would be interesting to see what type of service I’m wondering?

matther01
    Free Member

I’d be interested too, as they’re built like a tank…in a good way.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Transition bandit 27.5"’ is closed to new replies.