Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Transit Connect vs VW Caddy
  • simmy
    Free Member

I’m after buying a Van upto £5000.

The Caddy and Connect are first choices so I’m just looking for real life experiences.

Two guys I know who only sell Vans say avoid the Caddy as they are not as reliable as the Connect, but both these Guys had Connects for sale on their Forecourts and no Caddys so wondering if they were just trying for a sale.

Any advice is welcome, the Connect will be the LWB one as I had both SWB & LWB when I was a white van man and the SWB is too small for me.

Thanks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I wouldnt buy either, both are vastly over priced for size/milage,

If i was pushed id buy the caddy though as they have decent engines at least, google transit injection pumps. Both full size and connects had issues with em

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve had both. Caddy every time. Far better in my opinion. (TDi though, not SDi)

durhambiker
    Free Member

We use Caddys exclusively at work. Previously they were Connects, but everyone has been much happier since the change over

lightning
    Free Member

I have a Connect and it’s generally a great van.

Given the choice, l would go for the Caddy though, as l think they have better engines.

The engine in my Connect has plenty of performance (110ps remapped to 135ps) but has always been plagued with un-resolvable minor running issues since l bought it new in 2008.

Also Ford parts prices for the Connect are often extortionate. Such as £40 for a pair of pedal rubbers and £1,000 for 4 injectors.
    The injectors are “coded” to the ECU and these give endless problems, as the codes are lost and make it run

badly.
    Also it’s almost impossible to drive at under 1500 rpm while slipping the clutch, such as when reversing, as it alternates between self-revving and trying to stall, with clouds of black smoke from the exhaust.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

£1000 for 4 injectors, look up how much Caddy ones are. Around 3 times the price….
    For me its not a direct comparason, Caddy’s are far more exspensive
    I’ve had 2 Connects. A TDI and a TDCI, the TDI did 221,000 miles before dying.
    The TDCI destroyed its pump, not cheap..

redstripe
    Free Member

Get a SWB Toyota Hiace D4D and you’ll have none of these issues & a bit more space

ElShalimo

Toyota dropped the HiAce for the ProAce model – a Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot light panel van in a dress
    I hope it has a Toyota engine
    🙄

redstripe
    Free Member

OP said £5K budget so should get a decent Hiace for that. I agree about later Proace, worried about it not being a proper Toyota

lightning
    Free Member

Transit Connect then, but try and get one that’s done under 50,000 miles.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Transit Connect vs VW Caddy’ is closed to new replies.