Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Transient Global Amnesia – any sufferers on here?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_global_amnesia

A family member who is as sharp as a pin lost a couple of hours yesterday. Quite worrying. Has anyone any first hand experience of this?

scotroutes

Only after a bender

Stevet1
    Free Member

Have you watched breaking bad?

Apologies if the humour offends, I’m sure this is a very worrying condition to have.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd

Tinners

McMoonter – an elderly friend of my parents had this. Same sort of scenario as you describe. It turned out to be a rare side effect of a statin tablet she was taking for cholesterol, but she went through a lot of investigations and scans before the diagnosis was made. Ended up seeing a neurologist privately because the NHS waiting list was so long and he made the diagnosis. That was a few years ago and to my knowledge, she’s not had it since stopping the medication. From what I’ve heard, it’s not the sort of thing that you can diagnose yourself and probably worth discussing with his/her doctor if not already done so? Lots of other possible diagnoses were mooted before the cause was found. Hope that helps.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Tinners.

Your scenario sounds very similar. My relative is in his early seventies and also on statins for high blood pressure. He was taken almost immediately to A&E fearing a mini stroke. They did some tests and found it wasn’t a stroke but then they consulted Aberdeen Royal Infirmary who diagnosed it as transient global amnesia.

I’m going to drive him back from Orkney and will take him to see his GP.

What I’ve read on the condition is that it is rare and can sometimes only happen once in a lifetime. Keeping our fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Transient Global Amnesia – any sufferers on here?’ is closed to new replies.