• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Transferring Garmin mapping.
  • mactheknife

So i have destroyed my 800 unit in a pretty unspectacular but final way 🙁

I have the original mapping that i want to transfer onto a new unit i have just ordered. It is never as simple as just transferring the SD cards is it?? Nothing is ever that easy.

Rubber_Buccaneer

From what I can work out if the maps came on the SD card they are locked to that card. You can move the card to another device but you can’t copy the maps to another card.

If you bought the maps by some other method and put them on the card I have no idea. Garmin are a right PITA when it comes to backing up or moving maps

mactheknife

I think from reading online that the SD card will work on the new device ok. They are genuine maps bought with my first 800 so nothing dodgy in that aspect. I was hoping i could just insert it into the new 810 i have bought and bosh……. but i was sure i had read somewhere about them not being transferrable.

mactheknife

Bumpity bump……

smurfly13
    Free Member

I have a genuine SD card with OS maps. Worked no issues in both an 800 and an 810.

The card actually came bundled with the 800.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Remove SD card from old device, put in new device.

but i was sure i had read somewhere about them not being transferrable.

As above you can’t copy the card, you can move the card.

mactheknife

Brilliant, cheers all 🙂

Flaperon

Always buy Garmin maps on cards if you can. Electronic maps are permanently locked to the device and you’ll be forced to buy the whole lot again if you upgrade.

mactheknife

Good to know, i bought the SD card with 1:50,000 OS maps previously.

kcr
    Free Member

Yes, beware the Garmin licencing. I had CD ROM maps, and was less than impressed when I found out I couldn’t install them on a new device after the old one broke. On the plus side, I moved to Open Source mapping instead and haven’t looked back!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Transferring Garmin mapping.’ is closed to new replies.