Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Transferring files from mac to iPhone for emailing – anyone know what to do?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It seems we’re broadbandless for a day or two but mrs deadly is working from home and needs to be able to email PDFs to her client. Anyone know how this can be done with an iPhone on 3G? She’s on O2 with unlimited data. Or can she tether?

iDave
    Free Member

bluetooth file to the phone then attach to an email sent form the phone?

cp

dropbox?

Jamie
    Free Member

dropbox?

It seems we’re broadbandless

Do you have ibooks installed on your husband’s wife’s phone DD?

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are two other apps that word very well for this but you have to buy them (price is around £5 each I think). One is called ‘Documents to Go’ (which was first launched for the Palm platform years ago) and the other is ‘Quick Office’.

Both do more or less the same as each other, both are very slick and work well but they do a lot more than just allow you to mail files. You can sync whole folders, selected folders etc between you desktop and phone, read files, edit files, even compose then if you’re feeling patient enough.

I use Documents to Go on my iPad to sync my entire work folder so that unless I absolutely have to take my laptop to a meeting, I just take the iPad knowing I have all my work with me.

clubber
    Free Member

No doubt there are other ways but you could buy GoodReeader (couple of quid IIRC) for the iphone (which is a great app anyway – very useful for storing documents like travel insurance, instructions, etc and for ftp upload to your webspace) and then you can transfer files directly to the phone from the computer (at least you can with a PC so I assume that the god machine can also).

You can then email the files directly from the iPhone in the GoodReader app.

geoffj

Pay as you go 3g dongle would be the simplest option. Tethering may work, and you may end up with a big bill from O2, if they work our that she’s done it – although that’s unlikely.

3g dongle is what I have as a backup – better still, 3g mifi like this – http://www.cancomuk.com/Brand/Three/Product/70295?___Three-3G-MiFi-Wireless-Modem-1-month-%28Call-To-Connect%29-5GB-3-MIFI-C2C&ref=5681a404afd60a8d

peteimpreza

Add iBooks (free) to your iPhone.

Open iTunes on the Mac and add the PDF files to iTunes.

Sync the iPhone.

Open iBooks and open up the PDF section. Open the selected file.

Tap the box at the top with the arrow pointing to the right.

You will be given the option to email or print the PDF.

Make sure the iPhone and Mac are fully up to date with the latest software.

Jamie
    Free Member

Edit: You win this time Pete. *shakes fist*

Right:

1 ) Drop the pdf file into the books section of iTunes.

2 ) Then plug iPhone into iTunes and make sure book syncing is on, either all or just selected.

3 ) Then hit sync in iTunes.

4 ) Once synced open iBooks on the phone:

5 ) Select the pdf tab if not already selected and launch the file:

6 ) Then click on the this button:

7 ) Then hit email:

8 ) Learn how to use your equipment 8)

peteimpreza

Call it a draw given you pictorial explanation.

iDave
    Free Member

I won first

Jamie
    Free Member

I won first

Of course you did dear!

*pats Dave on the head*

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I was going to say what Pete and Jamie said…. honest.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

mrs deadly: *swoons* “my heroes”

Thanks guys.

iDave
    Free Member

damn you pesky kids…

donsimon
    Free Member

Can’t you just “will” the files across, or is the Apple technolgy simply crap?

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t you just “will” the files across, or is the Apple technolgy simply crap?

If such technology was possible, I would currently be willing a poke in the eye for such a helpful suggestion 😉

Anyways, manly men have helped the little lady with her problem so order is restored once again 8)

donsimon
    Free Member

Ow!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Other than the solutions above – which do work but seem over complicated to me – I have a gmail account (for non-work stuff or things that I want while I’m away from work account) that’s set up on the phone and when I want to transfer something from mac/pc>phone or phone>mac/pc I just email it to myself.

IA

Lots of waffle above, easiest way is Goodreader.

Can drag and drop to it with itunes, then email from within goodreader.

Jamie
    Free Member

Lots of waffle above, easiest way is Goodreader.

Can drag and drop to it with itunes, then email from within goodreader.

So exactly the same as using iBooks, but this way you have to pay for an app.

Mmmmm waffles…..

clubber
    Free Member

Other than the solutions above – which do work but seem over complicated to me – I have a gmail account (for non-work stuff or things that I want while I’m away from work account) that’s set up on the phone and when I want to transfer something from mac/pc>phone or phone>mac/pc I just email it to myself.

It seems we’re broadbandless for a day or two

clubber
    Free Member

The advantage (though maybe not in this case) is that good reader will do pretty much all the common file types, not only PDF – eg jpeg, doc, etc.

IA

So exactly the same as using iBooks, but this way you have to pay for an app.

True, it’s 69p, has a nicer interface for managing multiple files, and you can do the drag and drop wirelessly. It also perhaps usefully allows you to easily sync the other way. Save files from mail into goodreader, and drag and drop from there onto the mac. Again wirelessly if needed.

Yes, ibooks can sync back too, but the wireless and having a “filesystem” makes it easier when you’re dealing with more than a couple documents/versions.

Helios
    Free Member

Jamie – what phone, message, mail, internet and music apps are those in your iphone tray? Or is that how the usual ones look in iphone4?

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – what phone, message, mail, internet and music apps are those in your iphone tray? Or is that how the usual ones look in iphone4?

All the regular ones, apart from message app being replaced by bitesms, and running on a 3GS.

Phone is JB’d so I can theme the interface with Winterboard. That is the only reason it looks different from stock.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Goodreader also lets you edit files, eg cropping PDFs.

And you can use folders to arrange your data. So all your travel documents can be in one folder.

But iBooks does show everything on a nice bookcase. So on balance…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

She’s done it BTW. Thanks again.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Clubber: serves me right for not reading the post properly 😳

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Transferring files from mac to iPhone for emailing – anyone know what to do?’ is closed to new replies.