Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Transfering data to a new iMac
  • the-muffin-man

Current iMac is running 10.9.4 new iMac (5k one!) will be running Yosemite.

Can I plug my hard disc with a time-machine back-up into the back of the new one and essentially mirror my old system. Or is there a better way?

Cheers

slowoldman

I would do a clean install on the new one (well it should have one when it comes)then copy across the account information from Time Machine. From what I remember of my last swap, the process prompts for what you want to do when you set up the new machine.

euain

TimeMachine should work well – and if it’s on a USB disk or similar it should be quite fast. I’ve done it over the wireless network in the past and it works, but takes a few hours to transfer all my data.

I think you can also connect to the old machine using whatever cables you have (ethernet, Thunderbolt, etc) but if you’ve a recent TimeMachine backup, the end results will be exactly the same (I think).

The setup should take you through the process – it should ask if you want to use a time machine or other computer to load settings.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I restored an old system onto a new one using TimeMachine. Worked very well for me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nice purchase 😀

Agreed, as above – system prompts you to ask if up you want data from a prior machine.

the-muffin-man

Thanks all.

Nice purchase 😀

Aye – looking forward to it! 27″ 5k screen, i7 processor, Fusion Drive, 16GB Ram.

Shame it belongs to work though. All my other kit and telly at home will look absolute shite in comparison!

binners

I just stare at my Macbook intently for a second or so, then turn my gaze towards my iMac, and everything transfers over. Does everyones not just do that?

brassneck

I think I pulled it over the LAN from the old system, as Gb ethernet was quicker than the USB on my old Mac – but if you already have an up to date TM backup, use that for sure.

the-muffin-man

Well, new Mac arrived this morning. Did the TimeMachine transfer and all works perfectly! Just had to enter a few passwords for dropbox and creative cloud etc.

And the 5k screen is just awesome!

prettygreenparrot

I was just about to say TimeMachine. Ideal unless you’ve acquired some very pesky plist entries here & there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Transfering data to a new iMac’ is closed to new replies.