• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by sas.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Transfering a domain to tsohosts, how long should it take?
  • sas
    Free Member

I’m after some webhosting, and tsohosts seems to be one of the forum’s favourites. I’ve got a couple of .co.uk domains with 1and1 with email forwarding, if I transfer them to tsohosts any idea how long it would take? And would my email continue to work during the transfer?

butcher

Not quite sure what way you’re going about this…

You don’t need to transfer any domains. They can stay wherever they are at the moment, regardless of your web hosting.

What you need to do is point those domains to your new server/web host.

This can take up to 48 hours to propagate around the world – up to a week with a small number of more unusual ISPs – but generally within a few hours.

If the website is ready set up on both servers (i.e. old and new) the changes will be seamless and you won’t need to touch the MX records for your email.

But if you prefer to transfer the domains, you can…you will still need to do all of the above.

Edit: Mind you, 1and1, if I remember rightly, are utter bar stewards and like to charge you for every change you make. So it might not be a bad idea transferring. No experience of TSO myself, but I can recommend 123-reg for domains only.

Cougar

Yeah. Domain names and web content are two different things. I have sites all over the place but all are registered with 123-reg. You can move who hosts the names, but you don’t have to unless you’re unhappy with your registrar.

It’s a bit like having a Virgin phone line – BT still maintain your entry in the phone book.

sas
    Free Member

I only want hosting for one domain (so I could get the DNS for free), but I want to use the second with Google Apps, and 1and1 won’t allow the required DNS changes (a TXT record) on their server. So I thought it’d be easiest to just move the whole lot.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Transfering a domain to tsohosts, how long should it take?’ is closed to new replies.