Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Transfer of properrty to a charity -legal question
  • mikejd

Looking for some legal advice and know there are a few legal minds on here. I will be taking full legal assistance eventually but need to get quick advice on a couple of queries.

I am a trustee of a charitable development trust for our village. We don’t have a village hall and have been trying to address this for some years. We have been approached by a private organisation in the village who own an old church building with a view to them ‘gifting’ it to the village. They no longer have the upkeep, we get a village hall and they get use (10 meetings a yr) for free, everybody wins. Should add that this is in Scotland.

I have been looking for precedents online but not found much except to raise a couple of questions :

1. If the property is transferred for, say, a nominal sum would the transfer be liable for any taxation (capital gains tax?) for either party?
    2. Similarly would we have to pay the Land Registry/Stamp Duty on the full valuation of the property?

I would appreciate any advice. TIA.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Might have been quicker to google it than post the query?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Charities LBTT
    If you are a charity, you can get exemption – I don’t think the gifting bit makes a difference to the taxable value though.
    so:
    1. yes, LBTT based on market value, but
    2. no, you’re a charity
    Whoever deals with the conveyancing should be able to advise further (and if they can’t get a different one).

grumpysculler
    Free Member

You may also, under OSCR rules, need to treat this as a restricted donation. How that works with land/buildings, I don’t know.

The 10 meetings per year means that there are strings attached, which makes things more difficult (tax relief and annual accounting for starters).

There is a benefit threshold (10% maybe?) so as long as you document that the total benefit to the group is less than the permitted value based on the size of gift then should be OK I think.

The rules are there to stop tax fraud (make gift to charity, claim tax relief, get gift back by some means other than cash).

I suggest you instruct a solicitor and sort this out properly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Transfer of properrty to a charity -legal question’ is closed to new replies.