• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trans Savoie Enduro …. questions
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Anyone here done it? Any stories to tell? Was it harder than you expected?

Doing the Megavalanche this year has possibly given me a false sense of confidence that I am ready for it.

Cheers

Andy_K

Get fitter.
    I’ve done the TP holiday, and even with the attitional van uplifts, there was still some serious climbing to be done. A hard day in isolation is not the same as 6 hard days back to back, as much fitness and conditioning as you can manage are key to getting the most out of it.
    Practicing long continous descents is also helpful as that is another fatiguing element you don’t really get in the UK.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cheers thanks. Don’t think the fitness would be too much of a major issue for me as my main aim is training for 24 hour solo races. Technical difficulty is more of a concern for me (even though I feel I’ve improved in that area a lot over the last year).

Arm pump is something that’s hard to replicate in UK and Ireland descents though!

Were you riding all around the Savoie? What was Champagny and La Plagne like.

legend
    Free Member

Don’t think the fitness would be too much of a major issue for me as my main aim is training for 24 hour solo races

Different sort of fitness. That’ll help you plodding up climbs but wont really help with the long descents for your legs (being held static standing position) and your upper body

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Different sort of fitness. That’ll help you plodding up climbs but wont really help with the long descents for your legs (being held static standing position) and your upper body

To be honest I think that’s slightly more of an old school attitude regarding endurance athletes, and the stereotype around us 😉 . My fitness regime involves a fair amount of upper body and core strength work, including muscle stabilization, etc. I certainly didn’t struggle that much on the long descents in the alps this year during the mega.

Andy_K

By TP I was referring to the Trans Provence btw, but much the same craic really and I’ve ridden much of the Trans Sav trails area anyway.

Sounds like climbing shouldn’t be a problem then! The trails are amazing, and quite long usually, as you might expect.

I rode a couple of the stages of the 2015 TransSav the week before the race (taped out and everything) and really the difference will depend on whether you want to “race” or just enjoy riding it. One stage was basically the size of 3 good size UK descents, but between part 1 and 2 there was a quarter mile sprint through a fairly flat medow, and between 2 and 3 another Sprint on an undulating fire road. We were just riding normally, but we’d been going for like 15 or 20mins and we were still on stage!

Tech wise, if you enjoy big Lakes or Welsh stuff, Tweed valley off piste etc, you shouldn’t have much trouble, it is mostly flowy singletrack with varying amounts of switchbacks (normally lots), steeper bits, and rock.

superfli
    Free Member

I did Enduro2 this year which featured a few of the Les Arcs stages of TS. Some of the descents were the most technical I have raced on (have raced Mega in the mud BTW, and this was a fair bit tougher). I have ridden similar or maybe not quite as tech, but never tried racing them. They were also circa 15mins long (I’m talking Double Header here if anyone knows it!). Now to make matters harder for TS competitors, that stage in particular was only 1/2 of a whole stage on TS! Another one of the Enduro2 stages made up the whole TS stage. Enduro2 was tough but was only 3 days. TS is 6 days in a row.
    Preserve your energy and strength. A fall or mechanical can cost you dearly.
    I’d love to give it a go!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

(have raced Mega in the mud BTW, and this was a fair bit tougher)

Even tougher and steeper than the steep berms going down into Allamonte on the bottom 1/3 of the mega?? 😐

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Epic willy waving from all parties :).In the evening briefing before the first day they tell you how tough it is and to take it easy on the first stage . They guarantee that someone will crash and most likely end their race before it begins.

It is 8-10 hours in the saddle per day , six days in row . Tis a tough ‘en!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cheers

Anyone else? Many downhill sections you had to walk?

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve not done it but a friend who is a good rider (good enough to get kit for free) has. Practice steep switchbacks was the main feedback I heard.

Another key thing is you’re probably riding very technical trails you’ve never seen before so having the confidence to keep going matters.

superfli
    Free Member

Even tougher and steeper than the steep berms going down into Allamonte on the bottom 1/3 of the mega?

I rode the lot of that without stopping 🙂 (was pretty chuffed!) TBH I don’t mind that sort of thing and an happy to point and shoot, slide my way down. I ride steep chalk regularly, so am used to being a passenger!
    But no, it was nothing like that really, lots of tight rocks, walking trails. But that was just les arcs, I’m sure it’s different on other days.

nonk
    Free Member

I’ve done it
    It’s the relentless kicking you will get from racing long stages 5/6 times a day that gets you ,endurance type fitness is good of course but being xc fit isn’t the whole picture, your arms and legs and torso are gonna hurt from constant impact absorbing of the sort you are not going to be used to
    How do you train for it ? No idea
    You could try cage fighting
    It’s mint though enjoy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trans Savoie Enduro …. questions’ is closed to new replies.