Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Trans-Savoie Enduro – A New Multi-day DH-Biased Format for 2013
  • freeride_addict
    Free Member

Alright, so its not a *totally* brand new a format……rather an evolution of the best parts of what is already out there.

Kind of a half-way blend between a classic Enduro mulit-stage race, and an uplift-only event.

In otherwords, think a week’s worth of Megavalanche-scale DH stages, back-to-back……

Anyone up for it?

😛

http://www.Trans-Savoie.com

messiah
    Free Member

That looks awesome

eightyeight
    Free Member

Looks amazing. Only 50 spots though, so even tighter than Trans Provence

legend
    Free Member

That does sound awesome. Anyone fancy giving me around £1,200 so I can enter?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Interesting..

freeride_addict
    Free Member

Looks amazing. Only 50 spots though, so even tighter than Trans-Provence

True, but even that event didn’t fully sell-out in its first year, I know someone that entered and they said there were only about 35-45 competitors.

(quite a different story to thesedays where I’m told it sold out in a matter of seconds for 2012)

wallop

Aaaaah I wish I was fit and strong enough to do this – the riding round there is amazing.

Straightliner

First year of Trans Provence was limited to 32 competitors to ‘trial’ the event. It was full and sold out well in advance of the event.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

looks like a good alternative to TP which is a fab event run very well and I think this one is the same team led by Ash isnt it? I did TP in 2011 and can say it was hard but brill. This year I got married and was honeymoon so couldnt return, next year I fancy an adventure somewhere new, maybe peru. Still looking. TS will undoubtedly be worth doing. Go for it.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I think I actually prefer the layout of this to TP. Obviously, it’s not going to be as smooth as something that’s been running a few years. But I’m willing to be a guinea pig!

freeride_addict
    Free Member

and I think this one is the same team led by Ash isnt it

Ash and myself (Im Ali by the way) founded trailAddiction together in the Savoie region back in 2001 and still run that together today.

Naturally Ash made full use of the experienced trailAddiction team of staff to help run his new event – which I am not directly invovled in on a personal level.

Trans-Savoie will be managed/run in the same way as the above, but with me taking ownership in lieu of Ash.

That sounds more complicated than it is! Short answer is yes, although Ash himself is not officially / directly involved in the Trans-Savoie at all on a formal level – he’s got more than enough on his plate as it is!

freeride_addict
    Free Member

Obviously, it’s not going to be as smooth as something that’s been running a few years.

…..well, there are bound to be a few first year niggles but Id hope they will be connected to external influences such as extreme weather, rather than poor planning…..even the route itself has taken 3 years of planning and re-planning, not only for the sake of eeking out ever-better singletrack, but to factor in many possible contingencies and logistical factors for the smoothest-running possible format

But I’m willing to be a guinea pig!

Fair Play! However with such a high entry fee (which is sadly impossible to avoid for such a logistially challenging event), we’re confident that no-one will participate only to leave feeling they have had a rodent-biased experience! ;-P

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks Ali.

Couple of questions if that’s ok:
    1. Will there definetely be a full accomodation option?
    2. What bike(s) would you say the route is [/i]ideally desinged for?
    3. When do the entries open? – I’m abroad from the 28th of Nov and wouldn’t want to miss out

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the price of these type of events does initially sound high but when you see the array of logistics in moving camps and supplies, support out in the field it starts to become actually a very good price for a weeks epic riding. Bargain-tastic!

Shandy
    Free Member

This looks amazing!!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@freeride – happy customer from Destination-X this year, yes this looks very interesting but at approaching treble the price of a normal week’s riding, for me it’s a no. I’d rather do two weeks of guided holidays in different locations and have money left over.

Northwind

Trying to decide whether to do this, or the Megavalanche and a week with White Room… Looks like a brilliant event.

gary

Tempting … but spoiled for choice too with all the other events popping up.

freeride_addict
    Free Member

Thanks Ali.

Couple of questions if that’s ok:
    1. Will there definetely be a full accomodation option?

Yes – in the respect of a quality basecamp (eg campsite) and catering. Currently also looking at implementing a local accommodation option, however this package will not be 100% confirmed before early 2013 – logistical feasibility is yet to be determined at each location. Therefore, for all competitors keen to enter early to ensure a place, the assupmtion should be the campsite option until further alternatives can be confirmed (or not!).

What bike(s) would you say the route is [/i]ideally desinged for?

Mid-travel, all mountain, 130-160mm travel, substantial brakes, slack-angled, something bomb-proof (!), sub-30lb build ideally, gravity-dropper-post or similar would be a big advantage. Are you thinking Nukeproof Mega? Yeah, me too! ;-P

3. When do the entries open? – I’m abroad from the 28th of Nov and wouldn’t want to miss out

In all likelihood, the official opening may well be postponed until mid-december. This is to avoid a clash with the entry opening date for TransProvence – in case some riders wish to enter for one OR the other. There’s already a “waiting list” building up on the facebook page – pop your name on to that simply by dropping a FB message and you’ll be sure not to miss the chance to enter.

superfli
    Free Member

Theres also the 5 day Grenoble-Turin event:
    http://www.transenduro.com/

Its very tempting..

freeride_addict
    Free Member

@freeride – happy customer from Destination-X this year, yes this looks very interesting but at approaching treble the price of a normal week’s riding, for me it’s a no. I’d rather do two weeks of guided holidays in different locations and have money left over

Thanks jambalaya, So glad you enjoyed Destination-X! In terms of £’s per km of singletrack, and tangible/measurable what-you-get, you are dead-right on that and I cant fault your logic.

We expect entrants for this event will be motivated by something different entirely – the buzz of competition, the greater sense of excitement, challenge and unknown that only a point-to-point and particularly a timed event brings. Its really hard to put your finger on it exactly, only to say that the level of satisfaction in completing such an event, and the memories forged in the process, will be well worth the financial investment for those that are of the ‘right mindset’.

However, its not for everyone and that’s one reason of several why the event is designed to be a small field of only 50 riders.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Freeride_addict- what sort of standard of rider would you say this is aimed at? Could someone with a few years riding uk grade reds be ok or would it more suit the experienced rider with alpine experience? Talking about it with a few folk who fit these categories and along the scale in between!

freeride_addict
    Free Member

The majority of the terrain is unboubtedly more challenging than a typical UK red route. That on its own would not be the barrier to completing the race – worst case scenario you could take it easy on sections that you find difficult.

However I would recommend at least a good level of experience in natural / wilderness terrain – you need to be able to read a trail and assess if you can ride it or not, very quickly – and be used to the risk of riding in exposed or remote places (not necessarily in the Alps – Peak District / Lakes / Scottish Highlands / Snowdon are similarly challenging in this respect).

Otherwise this aspect may prove a bit of a shock and at best be too much to enjoy the event – at worst, be a risk to your own personal safety. Due to the enormity of the route, it is not possible to marshall every corner and therefore you must be confident to tackle all this knowing that an easy bail out to the trail centre coffee shop (or medi centre) is not always an option when you are in the middle-of-nowhere……

Im not trying to put anyone off, but entrants must be realistic about the challence they are getting themselves into!

Mbnut
    Free Member

Ummm… strokes chin and wonders….

I was going to do a roadtrip but this sounds good…

eightyeight
    Free Member

Good reality check Freeride.

I’m thinking if I was going to apply (and got a place), I would concentrate on the sort of terrain you mentioned. Perhaps getting together with some other entrants for a couple of 3/4 day highland trips.

While I would not be foolish enough to assume this would make me some sort of remote riding expert, would you say it would be suitable preparation?

Bet your wishing you never got involved in this thread…. 😯

nosedive
    Free Member

why did you show me this? Now I really want to do it, and I dont have the time or the money.

Definitely one for the wish list though. If I can persuade Mrs Nosedive to look after the kids for a week one year I’m there.

freeride_addict
    Free Member

Eightyeight

Well, yes it would certainly be well worth it IMHO.

I would suggest trails such as the snowdon ranger’s path, pretty much any of the classic big loops in the Lake District, ditto the peaks, etc.

If you really are a fan of trail centres then go check out Laggan Wolftrax. If you can get down the black section there without nearly killing yourself (considering how you would feel with the pressure of being against the clock), you would be well on your way to safely tackling many of the harder sections of terrain in the race.

Apart from race training, that kind of riding gives you a whole different dimension of challenge and enjoyment to the sport than riding trail centres only – at the end of a weekend you feel like you conquered a real mountain rather than something slightly artifical and “tamed”.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Trans-Savoie Enduro – A New Multi-day DH-Biased Format for 2013’ is closed to new replies.