• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by juan.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Trans-Provence GPS traces?
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

For those of us who might like to ride the TP route but not race it or go on the supported holiday, are GPS traces available, or does anyone have them recorded from riding the route?

bonj
    Free Member

sorry can’t help but would be keen to have a look as well, let me know if you find out…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Bump…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Heh… I’ve made ‘enquiries’, and apparently, it’s very hush-hush due to the amount of work that went into planning the route. Also, certain bits are so out-of-the-way and so little used that they need to be ‘swept’ of debris before they can be ridden safely…

ash

I’ve made ‘enquiries’

Have you? To whom?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

A friend of several friends who helps you run it 🙂

Not surprised at all that you want to keep it under wraps, but was worth a punt…

Ed-O
    Free Member

Hey it’s all on the map and I’m sure you could just use taxis and call for pizza at night. Can’t be that hard. Monaco is ace too. Kind of like Rochdale.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

That’s what I figured… rigid singlespeed be okay, yeah?

RHSno2
    Free Member

Tasty Ale.

nasher
    Free Member

http://www.1001sentiers.fr is your friend lots of information (you can use google to translate)

Also go on the french map site IGN and they should have books from local journo Greg Germain who has many trails in the provence, cote’d azur.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

This site is pretty useful for trails that folks with more modest abilities have ridden: http://www.vttour.fr/sentiers/?id_dept=06

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I do hope you don’t get this info, and that if you do, you’re not so much of a knob as to post it all over the internet!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why not, it’s just a trail?

People post up GPX’s of Swinley all the time, doesn’t seem to bother the gorrick series.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Its a bone of contention isnt it? Do you post details of trails youve found & liked & let others enjoy them or do you keep them to yourself?..

If for some reason the trail is sensitive i.e. for environmental or access then perhaps there are good reasons for restricting knowledge of its whereabouts. But if its ‘cos you just want to keep it to yourself isnt that a little selfish?

Not commenting on the TP guys in any way. Just an observation.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A comparison to Swinley… good one 🙄

I’ve seen plenty of pictures on here in the past where the photographer is less than willing to share it’s location.

Anyone can get themselves down to the region and start finding trails… there’re plenty of them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hardly likely to suffer form overue by the STW forum is it? Even if you live in Dover it’s still closer to go an pull skids on the Cairngorn Plateau (or wherever it was everyone got upset about).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of pictures on here in the past where the photographer is less than willing to share it’s location.

Usualy because it’s uber-cheeky and they don’t want landowner troubles. Asked one of the semi-pro’s off here where a shot was taken that he was being elusive about that I knew was near my house but couldnt tell where, he e-mailed back saying it was a dissused open cast copper mine, which is why it made such a good photo.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Anyone can get themselves down to the region and start finding trails… there’re plenty of them.

Fair comment but why the objection to the route being posted if there are enviro or legal reasons to not do so?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Personally, because I wouldn’t want anything to risk harming the format of the event.

juan
    Free Member

What they all say. It’s ash’s baby he spend time riding it, finding it and nursing it. You want the GPS traces of the trans-provence well register next year 😉
    Greg won’t be of any help as well as I have very much doubt he’ll give them to you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is it a bit like the ring, if you look atthe GPS trace you’ll die?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I would happily share it with you Spoony if that was the case.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Ash has put his heart and soul into that route and the events he hosts on it. We’re not talking about some big faceless corporation here. It’s one guy and his business.

This is not a route linking some trail centres together – it’s far more. Unridden trails hidden in a vast wilderness.

If you’re looking for some hints on good trails in the area then I’m sure that Ash would be the first to help you but I fully support him in protecting his business as far as he can.

Tess
    Free Member

Don’t be a stinge – cough up your dosh to do TP proper – best £££££ you’ll ever spend.

ash

Aftenoon all 🙂

why the objection to the route being posted if there are enviro or legal reasons to not do so?

The trails are owned mainly by the French state, not by me, this I acknowledge. However, I spent a good two years putting the SEQUENCE of trails together, from one end of Provence to the other, in a way that had never been done before.

I believe I’m within my rights to attempt to make some semblance of a living from having people perform an organised ride of this SEQUENCE of trails, so therefore it’s against my logic to simply “share” the route data with everyone, for free.

Whether you agree with my viewpoint is entirely up to you, but that is “WHY the objection to the route being posted”, FYI.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Ash

juan
    Free Member

Have a great weekend everyone.

Yeha btw I still need to show the best DH around roure, so you can had a 5th stage on the thursday

ash

Yep Juan, just had a look at Vacherie de R****** on map, looks good, could be included. Thanks.

juan
    Free Member

Well tis one is not the one I am refering to 😉
    Ok lets book a week end around Xmas both of us don’t believe in Santa anway

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Trans-Provence GPS traces?’ is closed to new replies.