Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • trans-pennine trail in 24 hours?
  • paule
    Free Member

Pretty simple really, anyone done or know of a successful Southport to Hornsea ride in under 24 hours? I’ve found this thread but no news of success, and a few online attempts which have gone over, 27 hours is best I can see.
    Ta!

GregMay
    Free Member

No idea, totally feasible though, the trail is pretty damn fast…and boring.

jackthedog
    Free Member

In the dry, the surfaced tracks are such that it’s essentially a road ride. And then of course there are the sections that are actually on the road.

If you were in reasonable shape, got your head down and really wanted to prove a point, I’m sure it’d be more than doable.

I’m not particularly fit, but I did Sheffield to Stockport in a gentle five hours on an SS road bike with a few snack/view stops and wrong turns. As GregMay says, it’s a pretty fast route.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you would probably need to pre ride it to put proper sign posts in place 😉

dunmail
    Free Member

I think the hardest part would be ensuring you stayed on the trail through the urban areas.

I was thinking that 215 miles seemed a bit excessive but AA routeplanner for the most direct/quickest route between Southport and Hornsea is 151 miles so maybe it is 215 miles.

TPTcruiser

Punctures! Allow an hour for punctures.
    What part of the route would you be in pitch dark at 2.00 AM, urban or country?

paule
    Free Member

Ta. I know it’d be a bit dull, just after w local challenge to use to raise money for personal causes… Bought the maps last week do I’d better get looking at bits I don’t know.

robdob
    Free Member

A friend used a lot of it for a C2C ride and (even though he isn’t a thrill seeker, more of a tourer bloke) he said it was very very dull. Do it on a day with a headwind and you’ll lose your will to live….

transpenninetrail
    Free Member

The TPT is signposted along the whole of it’s length, 370+ miles in total, 215 miles coast to coast. As the route is a mainly off-road recreational route we do not encourage timed or speed events. The route is a free facility open 24/7 but we would ask users to be mindful of others and ‘share with care’

Kind Regards
    TPT National Office

midlifecrashes

Around Yorkshire, the TPT is a mess. Signage is often useless where various branches meet, or if you encounter a bit of TPT that isn’t actually attached to any of the other bits. Surfaces around Doncaster leave a lot to be desired too, some like wet Wheatabix after heavy rain.

IMO the actual coast to coast route should be retained, and the rest renamed to avoid confusion. There used to be a path junction up near the back of Elsecar with TPT signs pointing in all 4 directions, none of them telling you where they went.

Edit: forgot what I came on to say after that, not that it matters much on a week old thread resurrection. In the OP’s position, I’d consider Way of the Roses, more on road, but very little traffic, much nicer scenery, easier to navigate.

Garry_Lager

I know the Western section pretty well (Southport to edge of Sheffield) and there are a ton of restrictor gates on some stretches. Not that big of a deal, but it makes for a choppy ride if you’re looking to progress. It’s a bit different to a road ride where (I imagine) you can get your head down and really tap out the miles.

Some areas R as F and no mistake – although you can prob avoid being eaten by a Norris Green pitbull if you time things right.

atlaz
    Free Member

So an average of 10mph with some time for stopping. Achievable, but in one go, not for me 🙂

grenosteve
    Free Member

Around Sheffield at least, there are a lot of gates and road crossings etc… which would slow you down and make it a bit of a PITA.

I think it could be done though. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘trans-pennine trail in 24 hours?’ is closed to new replies.