Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Trans Lakes…..???
  • chakaping
    Free Member

If I were in the market for this kind of event I’d be wanting to see a lot more info about the exact nature of the timed segments, the format of the racing and scoring system and the route.

Otherwise I fear there’s a lot of scope for disappointment when people realise they’re not being timed on the best stuff.

milkyman
    Free Member

I was having a look at doing this, but the cost put me of, when I thought I could get a B&B for £100 for 2 nights for 2 people, I thought id rather go down that route, down load the routes to your Garmin and off you go, I would like to have done it for the experience but it was just out of my price range

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not a race, it’s “selected timed sections”. Some Sportives have timed hill climbs. I suppose it’s getting into Enduro territory but it’s a pretty grey area.

No it’s a race. I assume the timed sections will be out on the good stuff.
    How do you think the likes of the Mega Avalance, Trans everything else works?
    You mark it, tape it race it then take the marking down. I reckon you should have most sections cleared in about 3hrs tops.

I was having a look at doing this, but the cost put me of, when I thought I could get a B&B for £100 for 2 nights for 2 people, I thought id rather go down that route, down load the routes to your Garmin and off you go,

Without any of the racing 😉

Sanny
    Free Member

Mrlebowski

That’s a bit of a logic leap, isn’t it? I’d never advocate such action. I’m curious as to why you think that I would?

Rather, I’d be ensuring that all the riders are well briefed on what is reasonable and responsible. If you have a whole load of riders coming down the Skiddaw bridleway with race numbers on and if that is a timed section as the pics on the site would infer, there is potential for conflict with other users. What I would like to know is how the organisers are dealing with this. The website is pretty sparse with information which just leads me to ask these questions. It’s not to pick fault nor say that this is a bad idea. I’m just curious as to how they propose to manage the expectations of other users.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Sanny,

If it’s a race & the organisers have ticked all the boxes then you have no right to interfere regardless of your own ideas of what’s safe & responsible. That’s a fact.

You can voice your concerns but you can’t disrupt an event that’s had all the legals signed off!

TomB

In 2 posts, Sanny has never mentioned interfering or disrupting, just wondered how it will work with the vast number of other users in the fells in the Lakes in summer. How, for example, would you go about making the Skiddaw BW descent a safe race descent?

thepodge
    Free Member

You cant race on public rights of way so presumably this is half way between a sportive and an enduro.

There will be timed sections on private land and none timed transition stages on public rights of way.

Not EVERY downhill on the route has to be timed.

chakaping
    Free Member

You cant race on public rights of way so presumably this is half way between a sportive and an enduro.

There will be timed sections on private land and none timed transition stages on public rights of way.

That’s what I was getting at.

Don’t assume they’ll be enduro-ing down Skiddaw/Ullock Pike/Sticks Pass – seems very unlikely from what I know about RoWs and racing.

milkyman
    Free Member

I don’t get the impression its a race, more of an organised ride, Im sure you can race on the timed bits if you want but I don’t think there are any cut of times

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

is anyone else’s computer saying security certificate problems with that trans-lakes site?

Delete the ‘s’ from ‘https’ and t works, someones added the s for no reason (just don’t put any bank details in unless the page is secure) and there’s no security, so its being blocked.

http://www.trans-lakes.co.uk/index.html

Sanny
    Free Member

Mr Lebowski

At what point in my postings have I said it is my intention to interfere or disrupt the event? Perhaps you may want to read my posts again before flaming me and painting me out as a reactionary type who is out to stop people’s fun. If you re read then you will see what I wrote was quite explicit of what I would do if I was an organiser. Never let the facts get in the way of a flaming, eh?

Andy_K

I know from talking to the marshals at the PMBA Grizedale that its easier to close a footpath for racing than a bridleway. Closing a BW is as hard as closing a road they said.

Certainly if they could use FPs a lot of routes come into view, but mid day, mid summer in the lakes? Sure going to inconvenience a lot of other users.

Sanny
    Free Member

Interesting reading the updated website. They’ve now published the rules and they are explicit that it is not a race. 😀

From reading them, it makes me want to do the event. 😀 I reckon that it could be a lot of fun! Off to check dates now.

Sanny

Andy_K

Sounds like the timing part is nearly incidental, not sure if it’s necessary?

postierich
    Free Member

LDNP have been involved so I have been told and they are not happy bunnies!! can see this upsetting quite a few groups up here wonder how much they are donating to fix the fells 😉
    Doubt Wheelbase have much influence on trail access!

Ps I,m available for a 3 day tour of the lakes if anyone needs cake/beer=cost

thepodge
    Free Member

So its an off road Sportive then, which just happens to have a clock running…

I think this kind of thing needs some sort of regulation, we had it up here recently where BHF organised a ride for 200 people over one of the boggiest trails around in mid March. Totally crackers and they wouldn’t be putting anything significant back into the area. I believe the year before the Mountain rescue got a bit cheesed off with them because they were sick of pulling people off one particular hillside.

Thankfully some locals have stepped in and helped organise a much better alternative.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So it’s £175/day and not a race.

So that’s about £100/day more than booking a B&B each night and dropping off a bag of clothes at each on day 0 by car (or just planning a cloverleaf route from somewhere central).

It’s not horrendous value for money compared to say a guided holiday. Except you don’t get the guides, and don’t get a chalet to stay in, or any of the other facilities, or the ‘flying away on holiday’ bit.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thats a very poor comparison, why pay for guides on your guided holiday, you could do it all your self cheaper.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I would say the cost is reasonable for a 3 day event with timing (on some sections) food, tents etc supplied.

The amount of info on the event seems a bit vague regarding route, and how much is timed so they are relying on people taking a big “punt” with £550. I expect enough will though.

Its not a good comparison to say you could ride it for less and B&B it.
    You could, but your missing the “event” part.
    Its a mass participation event, it will have have fun and banter between participants.
    Some folk like that sort of thing, others prefer solitude or riding with a few close friends.
    The timing aspect will be expensive for the organizers as its over multi days and will be long days for those companies involved = cost.

The whole timing on bye ways or foot paths seems complicated at best, and probably drove the entree fee up, but also attracts the people that like to race enduro etc and have disposable income.
    I expect there will be enough interest to fill the 200 places but the format may develop.
    I may volunteer to marshal but dont think I have the £550 to spare or the 7000 meters of climbing in my legs.
    I suspect thats putting a few others off too. 😉

bren2709

Not many takers so far

fathomer

Anyone happen to know if they’re planning on posting the routes before the event? I’m in the Lakes that weekend and want to try and avoid it.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I can’t see how you can run it in the Lakes with 200 riders over that length of terrain without causing massive conflict and also very obvious damage all over the shop.

If I was still riding locally I’d be pretty concerned about what the impact will be on relations with walkers in the long-term.

As fun as it sounds, the whole concept seems pretty unrealistic.

postierich
    Free Member

Doubt they will do much damage 5 entries so far £2700 broke even already 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Planning to do Lakeland 200 at end of May, even getting a luggage transfer co to do the needful and inc accommodation, I hope it won’t be 550 quid! 😆

Woodentop
    Free Member

Going off the max altitude on the site it looks like the first day is up over Askham Fell / High Street then down towards Windermere. Just a guess on the second day, but maybe incorporates some of the Borrowdale Bash? High Seat near Watendlath. Third day is up Skiddaw, but looking at the altitude profile of the route it doesn’t just seem to go up then back down, so dunno where they’re sending you.
    I’m still not sure how its gonna work with 200 folk folling the same route on the longest weekend in the Lakes … be interesting to find out.

Metasequoia

I love the Lakes and competing or riding, but; the rules section has typos and some sections repeated. The text refers to the event being governed but doesn’t mention what the governence framework is.

trusty

Postierich, where did you see how many have entered? I’m tempted to enter but not if I’m the only one!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Planning to do Lakeland 200 at end of May, even getting a luggage transfer co to do the needful and inc accommodation, I hope it won’t be 550 quid!

Isn’t that meant to be more an exercise in carrying your bike and mental toughness rather than a ride?

gary

Postierich, where did you see how many have entered? I’m tempted to enter but not if I’m the only one!

Click through to the entry page on the SI Entries site and you can see the entrants list.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its not a good comparison to say you could ride it for less and B&B it.
    You could, but your missing the “event” part.
    Its a mass participation event, it will have have fun and banter between participants.
    Some folk like that sort of thing, others prefer solitude or riding with a few close friends.

I enjoy company, but for £550 to spend time with a random stranger, I’d expect a happy ending. And the cost of more people isn’t really a cost, they’re all paying to be there too.

The timing aspect will be expensive for the organizers as its over multi days and will be long days for those companies involved = cost.

True, but the implication on the site is it’s definitely not a ‘race’. Which kinda undermines the timing aspect.

I’m sure the event will be good fun. I just question how on earth it cost £550 for 3 days rising in the UK and camping when you can do a week in the Alps or Spain for that, stay in a chalet, have some sort of uplift, and guiding.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Isn’t that meant to be more an exercise in carrying your bike and mental toughness rather than a ride?

Not really, as the route doesn’t take in a lot of the big hike a bikes I thought it would, but it’s all part of what makes the Lakes great. Need to earn yer fun.

thepodge
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – I just question how on earth it cost £550 for 3 days rising in the UK and camping when you can do a week in the Alps or Spain for that, stay in a chalet, have some sort of uplift, and guiding.

It doesn’t cost that, that’s what its priced at, two totally different things.

trusty

Cheers Gary, doesn’t look like they’re being swamped with entries!

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Trans Lakes…..???’ is closed to new replies.