Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trans-Alp – nutrition/energy advice
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Hello all. I’m going to be heading off to Switzerland next month for a five-day trans-Alp. I’ve never really done any sustained endurance riding like this before, and never really been one for energy bars/gels, so not sure what to take with me for mid-ride snacks.

I’ll need to carry all of my gear for the week on my back, so space/weight will be at a premium, but I was thinking about Clif Bars, which seem to be popular on here, and then either gels or chews with added caffeine? Maybe enough for two bars and one pack of chews per day – does that seem about right?

Any tips/experiences would be gladly received.

ac282

Are you racing?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m no fan of gels either, but for something like what you’re doing, I’d learn to stomach them. Torq gels aren’t so bad I find.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Are you racing?

Thankfully not – it’s a charity fundraise so will be at a more relaxed pace, but each day will still probably involve about eight or nine hours riding.

I’m no fan of gels either, but for something like what you’re doing, I’d learn to stomach them. Torq gels aren’t so bad I find.

I’ve never even tried one before. So how many would you suggest per day – one a few hours in and one later in the day, or is it really a ‘whenever you need it’ kind of deal?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I tried honey stinger chews yesterday for the first time – will now be a staple for me during races. A quick and sustained energy boost and a mental lift as well.

I’d try a few products over the next few weeks to see what you like/don’t and what works for you. Don’t try any new energy products during the event.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’re not racing, then maybe one every few hours (or if you feel you’re flagging at any stage). Plenty of water with each one.

iDave
    Free Member

don’t have anything simple/high carb in the 90 mins before and first 75mins of a stage. have protein as well as carbs during the day. big carb and protein hit (3:2 ratio) as soon as you finish each stage, don’t wait more than 10 mins for this. Once you’re over the 75 mins, aim for 50 grams of carbs per hour, caffeine too, and comfort food to lift your mood when you want to get off the bike, lie down and weep yourself to death.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’d try a few products over the next few weeks to see what you like/don’t and what works for you. Don’t try any new energy products during the event.

Yeah, that’s a good tip. I’m going to get a few things in this week and see how I get on with them.

If you’re not racing, then maybe one every few hours (or if you feel you’re flagging at any stage). Plenty of water with each one.

I’m usually pretty good at keeping hydrated, although I only tend to drink water mid-ride as I find energy drinks a little hard to stomach and if I’m just doing something shorter I don’t want to fuzz our my Camelbak. Should I maybe aim to also take a smaller bottle filled with some sort of energy drink just to sip from every now and then?

comfort food to lift your mood when you want to get off the bike, lie down and weep yourself to death.

Yes, thanks for that. I’m actually in the process of fashioning a bar-mounted bungee harpoon so that when I’m flagging on a long climb I can creep up behind one of the other guys and attach myself to their seat tube.

alpin
    Free Member

Thankfully not – it’s a charity fundraise so will be at a more relaxed pace, but each day will still probably involve about eight or nine hours riding.

think more like 5-6 hours riding and 3-4 hours fanny about….

just bulk up in the evening on a plate full of pasta and pizza or whatever local delicacy is on offer.

you’re never that far away from a food stop in the alps, especially if you’re transalping (i.e. no extreme hike a bike sessions to the summit). there’ll be plenty of huts in the hills and bakeries in the towns. stuff your face full there.

take a pack of haribos and a couple of musli bars in your pack. you’ll be fine

(13 transalps last year, 2 this year)

ashfanman
    Free Member

think more like 5-6 hours riding and 3-4 hours fanny about. you’re never that far away from a food stop in the alps, especially if you’re transalping (i.e. no extreme hike a bike sessions to the summit). there’ll be plenty of huts in the hills and bakeries in the towns.

We’ll be doing some hike-a-biking, but aiming to keep that to a minimum.

We’ve got to hit 100km each day to reach each waypoint, which I suspect will take longer than five hours but I guess we’ll see!

(13 transalps last year, 2 this year)

THIRTEEN last year? Bloody hell – impressive! Any favourite routes? As far as I know (I’m not the one planning our route), we’re starting in Chur and heading south-east into Italy, then up into Austria and through into Germany.

Can’t wait!

alpin
    Free Member

yup.. i was proper fit going into winter last year. not so fit this year.

sorry… i rode from Bavaria to Lake Garda or Lake Como…

you’re doing a sideways-transalp. cool. should be a lot more climbing and descending….

100km @ 15kmph average should be about ~7 hours riding.

just bulk up in the evening with pasta and have a decent breakfast (or skip breakfast and eat a good brunch) and you’ll be fine.

whereabouts in germany are you heading?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trans-Alp – nutrition/energy advice’ is closed to new replies.