Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Trangia gas burner, any good?
  • Mounty_73

Does anyone use the above?

I have small coleman F1 which I use for most of my trips etc.

I also have an old Trangia set which I use for car camping…. is the gas burner worth getting for it, I dont really want to buy another stove?

Cheers

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve always used the gas burner as the Meths burner is lethal!

Excellent bit of kit and apart from being a bit bulky is a great cooking solution for heavier weight camping.

rogermoore

I have one and it is great. I think (correct me if I’m wrong) somouk means carrying the fuel around is bulky. The gas burner itself fits inside the kettle with the pan handle.
    RM.

sbob
    Free Member

somouk – Member

I’ve always used the gas burner as the Meths burner is lethal!

Lethal, or hilarious? 😀

kcal

lethal how? had my meths Trangia for 25 years, seems to work fine for me, my son brought home a gas one for his DofE kit, I was a bit non-plussed at first – it was similar, but not the same!!

ebygomm
    Free Member

We got one for our trangia a few years ago. A really good investment imo. It’s great to be able to cook on a stable base and adjust heat.

Allowed us to enjoy bacon and pancakes after waking up here

somouk
    Free Member

lethal how?

Just lighting the thing with a match is a nightmare and then there is the risk of spilling the liquid fuel when it’s alight etc etc. The gas is also much faster cooking and much more controllable than the meths.

I think (correct me if I’m wrong) somouk means carrying the fuel around is bulky.

Yeah, the bottle I have is quite big and won’t pack away as neatly as the rest of the trangia solution.

vorlich
    Free Member

The gas burner is worth having, but expensive. I have a third party one (I forget who), which was half the price.

Mounty_73

All sounds good, been thinking of getting one for a while, Millets have one with 30% off, leaving the price at £35.

matt_outandabout

I think there are better / lighter things on the market than a gas burner into Trangia.
    It works if you are cooking in multiple pans at once.
    It is only as stable and sheltered as other products.
    It is heavy.

piemonster

Trangia….Gas burner.

They very thought makes me defecate in an apoplectic fit of rage.

You disgust me.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

A Trangia isn’t a Trangia without 3rd degree meths-related burns in my opinion.

I experienced my first at the young age of 13 whilst on DofE bronze training expedition. Oh the memories .,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trangia & Meths Lethal? Yep high chance of starvation or food poisoning by either it taking ages to cook anything or giving up and eating half cooked food. And thats without having to refill the damm thing twice during cooking!

As soon as I could I got an MSR Dragon fly and pan set, smaller than a trangier lighter and the fuel lasts much longer – couple that with being able to cook things much quicker!

batfink
    Free Member

A Trangia isn’t a Trangia without 3rd degree meths-related burns in my opinion

high chance of starvation or food poisoning by either it taking ages to cook anything or giving up and eating half cooked food

Bloody odious things ….. you’re probably better off trying set fire to the food itself. MSR whisperlite FTW.

piemonster

To be fair, you’ll be camping/bivvying/bothying if your using a trangia. Why are you in a hurry?

Each to their own of course. I just like the simplicity of design of meths burners, they’ll never go wrong and I’m expecting my trangia to outlast me. Unless i stand on it, which will be catastrophic for my coke can stove. Although I freely admit it takes a while to get the hang of cooking decent food on a trangia. But sat in a gore tex bag on a north west highlands munro. I’ve got 5 minutes spare tbh.

Oh well, horses for courses.

matt_outandabout

^ wot piemonster said.

Plus, those of you who are burning yourself from spilt fuel are doing it wrong.
    If you are cooking and need to refill, you are not using the full capacity of the the burner.
    And if it isn’t cooking reasonably swiftly, get it into shelter. It amazes me how many people camp / cook with the cold wind whistling through and wonder why their stove doesn’t cook swiftly…The only time I have seen real issues with Trangia’s and heat is significantly below zero – cooking on snow, in -5.

Sorry, but I think with groups that Trangias can be more safe than many other stoves – gas will burn you really deep in an instant(you get a burn with meths, but slower and not as deep). They are stable, simple and robust. They make sense to brains not used to fire.

kcal

I love mine (in fact have large & smaller sets). Fire and forget stuff — put a brew on, set up camp or settle in, come back, kettle boiling. If not in a rush, it’s grand. Bit messy to clean though.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Other advantage for us with a gas burner is no issues taking it on a plane.

Mounty_73

Not looking to replace my loveable trangia, I love my Trangia with all its marks, dents, dings and history of all my trips, I will never get rid of it…. 🙂

In my OP I was asking if the gas burner is worth getting as I dont want to buy another separate gas stove. 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i struck it lucky a few years ago and got a trangia 27.2 non-stick set from TK Maxx that already had the gas burner with it for the princely sum of 15 quid, and it’s ace but I’ve never used it with the standard meths burner though so my words probably mean very little here!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Trangia gas burner, any good?’ is closed to new replies.