Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trance X Build – wheels and forks
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I have rashly ordered a frame online in a mid life crisis sort of way.

I am just wondering about (budget) build options for wheels and forks especially. Bike will be used for xc/trail riding, I way 12 stone/circa 85kg and most of the air I get comes from my guts.

Fork:

I was hoping to add a 15mm fork, which seem to be available in Reba/Revelation/Sektor models in a zillion configurations on Merlin. What would best suit my style?

I like Reba’s which I have on my hard tail, but was wondering if I should go for something with more travel (150mm Sektor/Revelation). Can anyone tell me the difference between RL and RLT? Also all the models available tend to be 1 1/8 steerer sizes – is a 1.5 steerer a vast improvement? I was thinking of going for an air model.

Wheelset:

I have an old, slightly knackered set of QR 317 Mavics with cheapo hubs. I can either use these or a set of Mavic Crossrides (currently on hard tail), but only if I go for a QR fork. I often use 2.25 Maxxis Ardents and am currently trying 2.35 high roller on the front for the winter, so where possible like higher volume with relatively light weight.

Other options:

Crazy flash Hope build with 15mm as required.

Stans ZTR 355 with XT hubs from Merlin, for half the price. Are the ZTR 355 rims too light for the intended use?

Thoughts appreciated as ever.

gribble
    Free Member

Bump

gribble
    Free Member

Bump again for the Sunday morning crowd – any thoughts?!

JCL
    Free Member

2013 Solo Air spring system for Revelations. Dual Air is a load of crap. I would personally run 150mm on a Trance X.

XT hubs are utter crap too. Save for Hope or DT, It’ll cost you less in the long run.

jules.b
    Free Member

It will ride well with 140-150mm forks. You may need to flip the stem and get rid of the conical top cap to get the front low enough to weight the front wheel otherwise it will probably wash out.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I found 140 revs about right on the X, personally I wouldn’t want to go longer unless A to C stayed the same, I would get stans rims, can’t comment on the 355 as I run flows. I have also flipped the stem and run a 90 to get the weight forward a bit. (6ft 1 on a medium)

dirtydog
    Free Member

2013 Solo Air spring system for Revelations. Dual Air is a load of crap. I would personally run 150mm on a Trance X.

Shirley you mean Dual position air, nothing wrong with dual air.

FactoryPhil

2012 Secktor dual position coils and American Classic All Mountain tubeless on mine. Forks at 120 for climbs and 150 for the downs. Running High Roller 2.35 front and Racing Ralph 2.25 rear both tubeless. 140 or 150 fixed travel will be grand on the front if you don’t fancy a travel adjust fork. I’d go for a sealed bearing hub over cup and cone just for the less hassle I find them to be.

Phil

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hi,

I have those 355s on my Trance X2 and I likes them!! I have give them a hard time in the peak and they stayed true. Ignore the idiots who can’t do simple maintenance on XT hubs. I had to nip the cones up a bit on the casette side (wooo, so hard!!!) and they have been right since. I weight 69Kg if that’s any indication lol.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for the above all, I have seen the Sektor Coil Dual Position forks on CRC, which seem good value at £280ish (they are 140mm). Revs can be had from Merlin for circa £270, but are 150mm.

I would like to go for a fork with 15mm to make the front stiffer, although I could sort out QR wheel for the front much more cheaply.

There seem to be plenty of people who do run a Trance X with a longer fork, but not sure if this affects warranty (although I know some models can be had with forks that adjust to 140mm from Giant).

Anyone know where there are good deals on 140mm travel forks?

JCL
    Free Member

Dual air last about 10 minutes out here (Vancouver). Half the reason why RS are going back to Solo.

retro83
    Free Member

I run my Trance X with 150mm revs set to 130mm (uses spacers inside the fork). Rides nicely, quick steering, feels nimble on singletrack. I use a 60 or 70mm stem and flat bars.

JCL – Member
    Dual air last about 10 minutes out here (Vancouver). Half the reason why RS are going back to Solo.

What do you mean going back to solo? I thought they had DA originally.

Anyway Dual air is great, you can’t change preload with solo air, so AFAIK there’s no way to change ride height without also affecting the rest of the stroke. E.g. I use 110 PSI pos, 100 PSI neg, it makes the fork sit up a bit more in its travel and stops the fork compressing right down during hard corners.

abomb7147
    Free Member

I’ve got the trance x with 140mm fox talas at the moment feels spot on in 140 not too sure about 150mm don’t think the added 10mm will make much of a change! again with the rims i do have ac hubs on xtr 355’s for the summer use as it is a super light wheel set i wouldn’t really recommend the 355’s for the trance especially if you’re going to be doing trail based riding!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trance X Build – wheels and forks’ is closed to new replies.