Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 245 total)
  • Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.
  • deviant
    Free Member

What’s wrong with 4 pot brakes?
    I have saints on my 5 as I wanted extra stopping power as I’m 100kg kitted up.
    XT just didn’t stop me as quick as I wanted.. So I’ve added 60 grams.

I found my Saints were no better than Deore and certainly not as good as the XTs currently on the bike.

Anyway, this has rambled on for 6 pages now, let’s change the subject and talk about how awesome my YT Tues is going to be when it arrives!?

Tracey

We could have a guess the weight of my bike thread. Post a photo and any modifications then see who’s the nearest.
    Only ever had one bike weighed and that was by the bike shop just before I bought it in 2012.

SirHC

Anyway, this has rambled on for 6 pages now, let’s change the subject and talk about how awesome heavy my YT Tues is going to be when it arrives!?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    plus-one

Who’s winning ? 😆

Northwind

nickc – Member

OP is 95kgs he thinks his bike is about 13kg, some others think it’s more like 14.5kgs, that a massive kilo and half difference, or about 4% in total (rider and bike combined, if my mental maths is about right)

If you care about weight then it is a big deal- not because it necessarily makes a difference, but just because you care about weight. If you don’t care about weight then you probably didn’t bother to weigh it in the first place 😆

Paul-B

Hey if that geometry works for you, great. Not all people were created equal. I have a short torso and long legs so all this crazy long reach that’s in fashion doesn’t really work that well for me.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 legs…

Toasty

How accurate do bathroom scales claim to be anyway? When weighing yourself + a bike you’d have to give them a bit of leeway.

If they were accurate to within 2% for example (which sounds fairly generous?) your bike would weight between 23lbs and 33lbs.

TUES look nice, still probably sub 30lbs!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Anyway, this has rambled on for 6 pages now, let’s change the subject and talk about how awesome my YT Tues is going to be when it arrives!?

Are you going to bodge a longer rear shock on this one? 😀

legend
    Free Member

Paul B – Member

Hey if that geometry works for you, great. Not all people were created equal. I have a short torso and long legs so all this crazy long reach that’s in fashion doesn’t really work that well for me.

As the OP has just ordered a large DH bike, he probably doesn’t want reminding that he’s not into long bikes

Goldigger
    Free Member

Question is did he order the carbon or Ali version YT Tues?
    It would make sense the carbon version as this thread has made it clear that only giant can produce ridiculously light Ali frames.

CF Pro Race small 34.9lb
    Tues AL small 38.4lb
    (without pedals)

Tues AL, throw some plastic pedals on it, get rid of the dropper, swap the saddle out for a carbon ass killer and swap the suspension out for xfusion and it should be 26lb. Sorry I mean 28lb

BadlyWiredDog

I had a similar issue when I lightened my toaster. No-one would believe me. But trust me, I took it to the local weighbridge in my car then weighed the total before and after with awesome results. But when I posted on here people ridiculed me, they questioned my weighing technique and some even asked if it mattered that my toaster was lighter than before.

I though people would be impressed that I’d managed to transform a humble Morphy Richards rather than a boutique Dualit or Bosch. But instead they just seethed with jealousy and hate. Losers.

I don’t care, I’m going to buy a washing machine now.

jamesg55
    Free Member

I want to contribute, but I can’t follow that post lol

deviant
    Free Member

Very good….c@nts.

😆

Poopscoop

To me this thread shows the slightly less friendly side of stw that appears every so often.

Sure the OP did inadvertently make a post that was always going to lead into one of those “typically stw” type threads. Heck, I’ve fallen into that trap in the past too! 😀

Only 2 things I would say to the op.

Firstly, and again, nice ride mate. I bet you are rightly chuffed with the build!

Secondly, when a thread goes like this, just let it be and go out riding and forget about it. 🙂

Un-winnable and totally subjective.

I get a slightly heavy heart when this kind of thread develops as it must deter some people from joining the forum let alone contributing to it…

Just my take and no offence intended or implied to anytime posting in this thread, genuinely!

nick1962
    Free Member

Bike weights stopped mattering when wheels got bigger and/or fatter ….. and heavier 😉

Goldigger
    Free Member

Deviant

No hate from me here I’m just taking the p#ss

It just makes the day more enjoyable

🙂

deviant
    Free Member

I agree, I go online for a laugh….and sometimes information.

If it’s not fun turn it off, which is why I don’t believe in ‘cyber bullying’…..face to face bullying is abhorrent, online stuff is tame and the lily livered need to grow up, not attach so much importance to forums and turn the computer off if necessary.

jonnyboi

Its important to stand up for truth in a post truth age, but I’ll post up one of my self builds later for judgement, it’s not even boutique..and it has a triple.

Goldigger
    Free Member

It’s bound to be sh#t then
    😀

tomhoward

Not heavy though. Only boutique bikes are heavy.

BadlyWiredDog

Toast… anyone?

deviant
    Free Member

This is a great thread though admit it….tomorrow I’ll post pics of my 170mm forked HT just to wind people up….then the YT when it arrives.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Still mystified as to why the op has received such a beatdown! 28lbs for a trail bike with no dropper is distinctly average, its not as if hes bragging! As ive already said mine weighs 28 with pedals and all i did was remove the double and go tubeless. Not sure where people are getting 31lbs as stock from.

I for one am interested in sticking a 160 fork on my trance after seeing this. Op, your head angle claim of 65 seems ambitious as it is 67 with a 140 fork. You got any bushes or slackset in there, or does the extended shock slacken it out?

Also, is the frame rated for a 160 fork?

samunkim
    Free Member

Does filling tyres with Helium really help ?

tomhoward

its not as if hes bragging

That’s exactly what he’s doing. Apparently (as in, according to him) trolling folk who put up expensive bikes that weigh 30+ Lbs.

deviant
    Free Member

I for one am interested in sticking a 160 fork on my trance after seeing this. Op, your head angle claim of 65 seems ambitious as it is 67 with a 140 fork.

66 degrees is what Giant quote with a 160mm fork, the SX frame for the 160mm fork is the same as the standard 140mm frame so no problems.

The 65 degree number was when I was mulling over a minus 1 degree slackset.

ruffride
    Free Member

Ive been off a bike for a few years but I thought we stopped worrying about a bikes weight, I thought it was all about the head angle and making 130 bikes ride down like 160 bikes instead of 160 bike pedal like 130 bikes.

tpbiker
    Free Member

So having just renovated my trance I thought I’d weigh it and give this thread a bump..

Came it at 28.5 lbs with 160 mattocs, dropper, 1*11 xt and carbon wheels with snakeskin mary and nic

So in reality the ops 28lbs is actually heavier than expected given he has light finishing kit and no dropper!

As for my scales.. Well i took an average of about 5 measurements, and on the same set my ascr is 24lbs, carbon roadie with carbon wheels just over 16 and my cx about 23. So not as if they give particularly low readings..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought this was going the be the it snapped update

granny_ring

My small Trance with dropper and carbon hope wheels comes in at a with/without bathroom scales weight of 28.5lbs

Only read some of this thread but it’s very amusing 😀

dallas95
    Free Member

I was tidying the garage earlier so popped my Trance advanced 1 on the scales. Includes pedals but non-standard wheels/tyres. Size medium 26.5lb.

[/url]IMG_2141 by Paul Harrison, on Flickr[/img]

28lb for the OP’s ally trance with all his carbon and no dropper is realistic in my view.

Simon

If we’re doing pics here’s my recently built ’16 Trance Advanced. 29lbs with the bathroom scales which is a bit lighter than the Pitch it replaced. Not a light build, Mattocs, Brand X dropper, Hope Enduro wheels and SLX.

kayla1
    Free Member

What’s with the weights in pounds, like? Did you all vote for Brexit or something? Also, shouldn’t you all be using ounces to state fractions of pounds rather than a decimal? 😆

dallas95
    Free Member

kayla1 – Member
    Did you all vote for Brexit or something?

Yes. 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

We’re all old and never stopped using imperial measurements.

Simon

Ok, mine is 13.154kg approx not 29lbs 😆

honourablegeorge

kayla1 – Member
    What’s with the weights in pounds, like? Did you all vote for Brexit or something? Also, shouldn’t you all be using ounces to state fractions of pounds rather than a decimal?

Bikes in pounds, components in grams, wheelsize in inches, geometry in millimetres. What’s the issue?

chakaping
    Free Member

Bikes in pounds, components in grams, wheelsize in inches, geometry in millimetres. What’s the issue?

Agreed. That’s just the way it is. No point arguing.

Plus rider weight, altitude & distance in metric. It’s moar pro.

tillydog
    Free Member

rider weight, altitude & distance in metric

😯

Rider weight: stone and lbs, obviously

Altitude: metres

Distance: miles

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.’ is closed to new replies.