Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 245 total)
  • Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.
  • chiefgrooveguru

I like how you’ve modded it but the weight can’t be right – my alloy hardtail weighs 27lbs and has a similar build bar carbon bars, ultralight saddle and lack of dropper post – but it also doesn’t have a rear shock and a load of pivots!

jonnyboi

Lovely bike, hard to beat giant trance. I had an older 26″ with 140s and still miss it.

But, that’s never a 26lb build, if you’ve broke 30 I’d be surprised

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nanos and fitted the plastic Nukeproof ones from my other bike I could probably save a few more pounds.

How heavy are Nanos??!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nudging under 28lb like that, bit off the wheels and swapping to shimano, but dropper added, 1×11 SRAM so lighter still not much and a fair weight for the bike

woodster

I need a borrow of your scales. Got to be the cheapest way to ditch weight there is.

Those wheels and tyres are going to be properly chunky, the drivetrain has nothing light either. Unless Giant have been filling their frame tubes with helium that’s over 30lb.

Don’t get me wrong I’m happily pedalling round 32lbs and I reckon that with a dropper and a decent saddle that would be a lovely bike.

deviant
    Free Member

Ok for the skeptics…..

First pic is my HT, alloy frame, air forks, carbon bars, Deore brakes, 1×10, Pacenti rims and a Mary front, Nic rear.
    Weight is 28lb/12.91kg

Next pic I think is my road bike, cheap Ribble thing but around the 8kg mark due to a ridiculously light Superstar wheelset.

Next pic is the Trance, may have ballsed up the 26lb weight last night, I’m getting 28lb today with confirmation on bathroom scales with me holding the bike too.
    My weight:

Combined weight of me and bike:
    [IMG]http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q440/simon750drew/6EDDEA1A-F49F-43E4-90D4-A74831DA751F_zps0sowhd6y.jpg[bIMG][bURL]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

got some actual weighed weights to pop on the scales?

v666ern
    Free Member

am sad you havent stuck to your guns…yes giant frames are light but those tyres aint.

ps if you ride everywhere stood up you can bin the saddle, post and seat clamp to save 8lbs… 🙄

deviant
    Free Member

Cocked that up…..

Combined weight of me and bike.

109.3 – 96.4 = 12.9kg or 28.4lbs

jonnyboi

Ok, muddy feet on a bathroom scales ain’t gonna cut it.

You need the original weight of the bike, what model and year is it?

components you have swapped out? Should be able to calculate the weight saving from there easily enough.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

components you have swapped out? Should be able to calculate the weight saving from there easily enough.

My list (purely to see if something is worth swapping) has it within 200g on manufacturers specs. Anyway if it’s for hanging on down steep non pedalling stuff why does the weight matter so much?

deviant
    Free Member

You’re over complicating things, the bike weight is what it is despite what may or may not have been changed….ditto my weight.
    The bike has been weighed as a whole now, it doesn’t matter that the original shock weighed when it was binned.

As much as some have had their noses put out of joint the fact remains it’s a 28lb trail/AM bike….

Truthfully I’m chuffed to bits with the bike and also slightly trolling those who parade their AM bikes on here at 32lbs and seem pleased.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

96kg? I take it you were soaked to the bone? There’s some serious poundage to save there! 😉

I liked my old trance, yours looks very nice.

But why do people feel the need to weigh things?

deviant
    Free Member

My other hobby is weightlifting, I’ve been over 100kg before.

woodster

the fact remains it’s a 28lb trail/AM bike.

Today. Yesterday it was 26.

I’d go for a ride now before it becomes too heavy to pedal next week. 😉

legend
    Free Member

dangeourbrain – Member
    But why do people feel the need to weigh things?

Helps justify building a bike with a ropey spec

deviant
    Free Member

Woodster….already admitted the 26lb was purely on luggage scales, got a more accurate reading this morning with the combination of my weight and the bike on scales.

2lb out it isn’t bad.

jonnyboi

I’m just a bike confused how a bike with circa 2kg fork and 1.5kg of rubber on it could get so light…

Not taking away from the bike itself, purely querying the accuracy here.

kayak23

Truthfully I’m chuffed to bits with the bike….

Excellent. That’s what counts.

…and also slightly trolling those who parade their AM bikes on here at 32lbs and seem pleased

Why? My Rocket weighs nearly 32lbs…. That’s 32lbs of pure awesome 😀

Nice Trance but I couldn’t not have a dropper post.

chiefgrooveguru

If you hadn’t mentioned the inaccurate weight claims this would have been a much more interesting thread! My money puts the true weight at 28-29lbs based on the similar builds on my hardtail and full-sus (27 and 31lbs respectively) and thus a bit more with a dropper.

Cheap luggage scales or any bathroom scales are too inaccurate if you want an absolute reading which is accurate to half a pound. Just because it’s a digital read out doesn’t mean it’s true! 😉

I’m more interested in the geometry post mods and how the rear suspension behaves with the extra travel?

jonnyboi

I’m more interested in the geometry post mods and how the rear suspension behaves with the extra travel?

This too, unless I’m mistaken giant keep the rear travel at 140mm on the SX so that’s a hell of an increase

legend
    Free Member

My money puts the true weight at 28-29lbs based on the similar builds on my hardtail and full-sus (27 and 31lbs respectively) and thus a bit more with a dropper.

Which basically means that the only reason this bike looks light is that it doesn’t have a dropper on it

matt_outandabout

Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done

*This*, this is what can be done. 😆

And properly light. 😯

This too 8)

This too
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-us-your-home-made-bikes

EDIT:
    I also forgot, for the sceptics, some FS can be uber light, despite what seems a mundane frame…
    http://www.cebucycling.com/index.php?topic=3209.0

Rorschach
    Free Member

unless I’m mistaken giant keep the rear travel at 140mm on the SX so that’s a hell of an increase

rear shock has also been swapped out from the standard 200×51 to a longer stroke 200×57 giving around 156mm rear travel

Extra 6mm of shock stroke at lever ratio of 2.5ish to 1 gives extra 15mm of travel.Well known mod on the trance.The ‘Verdone’ did similar with his but added an angleset for extra ‘poonage.His was 29lb

Rorschach
    Free Member

jonnyboi

Now that’s nice

deviant
    Free Member

Ok, a few answers….good thread it seems to have provoked some debate.

You all really need to feel a Trance frameset, they’re so light it makes you question the purpose of carbon.

Next, air suspension all round, the X-fusion Sweeps are I believe lighter than Pikes.

1×10…..nuff said.

Carbon bars.
    Carbon post arrived this morning.

Sub 100gm carbon saddle.

Tactic/Telsa wheels, not the lightest but certainly not the heaviest.

Maxxis folding tyres, no dual ply, wire carcass behemoths here.

35mm stem.

As for the ride, Giant point out that putting 160mm forks on takes the HA out to 66 degrees….the 156mm the longer stroke shock gives doesn’t detract from the pedaling, if anything it means you can take liberties that you might have reservations about with the standard 140mm.

Next up is a Works Component angle set, I’m thinking just the single degree as I don’t want to drop the BB too much and I think 65 degrees is fine for a trail/occasional race bike.

northerntom
    Free Member

But why are you making a bike very light when you are pretty heavy. You may be 96kg of pure muscle, but that’s still damn heavy, especially for a bike that light! Surely you will destroy light wheels etc very quickly?

Also, if you are making a bike for mainly DH stuff (assuming so because you don’t have a dropper), then why have you essentially overbuilt a light trail/xc bike? Why not just buy a Giant Reign which is meant for bigger DH stuff.

It’s a nice bike by the way, you just seem slightly hypocritical in the way you have responded.

Summary: I would prefer a fit for purpose 30lb+ bike rather than a very light compromised bike.

jairaj

Are Giant OK with increasing the A2C with a longer fork?

I enquired about doing that to a ~2012 Trance any they didn’t recommend it and said warranty would be void.

tomhoward

pikes, according to a quick Google, are 70g lighter than sweeps

1×10, nuff said. Is it? What kit?

My 70mm stem is 93g. I guess your 35mm one doesn’t weigh 46.5g.

Sorry to keep coming back to this, but seeing as you are…

….also slightly trolling those who parade their AM bikes on here at 32lbs and seem pleased.

I’m gonna call you on it.

jonnyboi

Are Giant OK with increasing the A2C with a longer fork?

They always say that but the 26″ trance 1 came with 140mm as standard.

treefeller
    Free Member

I have an almost identical spec trance to you. The lightest I’ve had it was 27.8 pounds. That was with xtr crankset, light specialized tyres, (tubeless ) and a reverb .On the same scales a carbon nomad with carbon wheels was 1.5 pounds heavier.
    I now run heavier tyres and an slx chainset.

BadlyWiredDog

I would ignore anyone questioning the authenticity of your measurements. They are just ‘alternative weights’ and as good as anyone else’s. Just saying.

v666ern
    Free Member

1×10…..nuff said.

Yes but thats a deore rear mech and slx cranks…not exactly the lightest

ps you need to up your troll game

fwiw it looks lovely but you should have just bought a reign!

scotroutes

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs[/video]

deviant
    Free Member

Test rode a Reign, didn’t like it…..may as well have bought a DH bike….which I may do later this year, the YT Tues still looks good.

I’m sure Giant built in enough tolerance for my 95kg+ weight! To think otherwise would be naive.

Giant are fine with the 160mm forks, it’s how the bike was sold in SX version.

My daily rider is a Dartmoor Hornet HT, the Trance is very much a Jack of all trades…..long enough travel for rough stuff, light enough for all day duties, just about slack enough for Enduro and DH….and I’ve had the pleasure of building it up from frame only.

Poopscoop

Deviant

First of, love the bike! I don’t own a Giant but the Trance is a lovely frameset. Very clean and uncluttered.

As for weight? I haven’t a clue. I’m not there to weigh it! Anyway NASA could calibrate some scales and people on here would still argue the point. No offence guys, it’s just the Stw way! 😉

Glad your chuffed with the ride, that’s what really matters.

Lastly, if 96kg is massive, weight wise,I’m doomed!

Currently 15st 10lb here!
    (Mines not muscle either. 😀 )

Goldigger
    Free Member

I just weighed my anthem 26.8lb
    Rock shox SID RCT3
    FOX CTD boost shock
    XT 10 speed 3×10
    Arch EX on hope pro 2 evo SP
    Racing Ralph’s F/R tubeless
    FSA Carbon bars
    Reverb

So if I loose the reverb, 2 rings on the front, front mech and shifter and change the arch EX for crests I should be 26lb??

Sh#t come-on deviant what’s the secret?

zerolight
    Free Member

Didnt the Trance come with Carbon wheels from Giant? Yup, the 1 came with Carbon wheels at 1610g a pair. I nearly bought that model when Pauls had them discounted.

Goldigger
    Free Member

2017-giant-trance-advanced-actual-weight

Actual weight for complete bike with X0 Eagle, carbon frame, carbon rocker, Giant carbon wheels and Rockshox Pike is 12.26kg (27.03lb).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.’ is closed to new replies.