Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Tram fall cyclists to sue Edinburgh council
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Sorry but cycling infrastructure in Edinburgh is exceptionally good by uk standards. It’s just that folk are trying to cross wet tram tracks at narrow angles at 20mph without thinking about what might happen.

project
    Free Member

Stewart White, of Thompsons Solicitors Scotland, said “Kerrrrrrrchiiiiiiing!” as £ symbols appeared in his eyes

Is that a an un diagnosed medical condtion based on many years experience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s just that folk are trying to cross wet tram tracks at narrow angles at 20mph without thinking about what might happen.

Do they have a choice as they are shepherded down a cycle lane? Perhaps they should all slow right down and make some turns to hit them at the right angle?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Slow down to safely pass a hazard are you mental?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Sorry but cycling infrastructure in Edinburgh is exceptionally good by uk standards

I concur, we don’t know how good we have it.
    Haymarket is however a debacle, I’m not sure I’d be suing over it though, I’d probably just change my commute to avoid it altogether.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wanmankylung – Member
    Slow down to safely pass a hazard are you mental?

Perhaps sort it out and not build hazards in the middle of the road?

rene59
    Free Member

We all expect car drivers to slow down to match the road conditions and avoid hazards, but not cyclists?

It’s down to the fact that lots and lots of people in Edinburgh are more than a bit special.

All joking aside, ^^This.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

Don’t know if they’ve changed it since the incidents in question but haymarket you’re actually supposed to swerve left into the station then wait at the lights – no-one does that of course, it’s shit, but the alternative is to swerve across traffic as it takes of from the lights which isn’t always so popular.

The tracks at going up from princes street are probably worse, you need to stay way left then swerve into the road to get over them, sometimes traffic is trying to pass you at that point..

dunno what the solution is though, other than ditch the shitty trams, that would work.

leffeboy

That looks mad. My first reaction was definitely ‘learn to ride tram tracks’ but when you see the design it’s crazy, so good look to them. You are never going to encourage more cyclists if they have to navigate something like that. I had one corner on my way to work with something like that and even though I’ve been cycling for 30years I went down a couple of times as you can’t always unweight the front wheel just right or turn in time because a car is blocking you. In the end I just changed my route to avoid it but you shouldn’t need that with new infrastructure.

Hope they succeed

Kunstler

dunno what the solution is though, other than ditch the shitty trams, that would work.

Probably all cycle traffic being diverted onto George Street though that’s not perfect at present.

Yeah, crossing the rails at the east end of Princes Street is tricky – you can’t take primary position as you are parallel to the track and you have to be very aware of the proximity of traffic from behind.
    I know plenty of less confident city cyclists who wouldn’t bike along Princes Street and looking at these messy and difficult areas of traffic integration does little to encourage anyone to want to try it.

kcr
    Free Member

Sorry but cycling infrastructure in Edinburgh is exceptionally good by uk standards

I think that’s damning with very faint praise.

We’ll have to disagree on this. I find Edinburgh’s cycling infrastructure is patchy, disjointed, badly designed and often badly maintained. There’s a good example near me where the cycle path has to cross a busy dual carriageway. To get to the other side of the road involves a half kilometre detour crossing 4 exit junctions and 3 different roads, only two of which have pedestrian crossing controls. Coincidentally, this existing problem could actually have been fixed as part of the tram works. The change was requested by the local cycling campaign group, but rejected by the Council.

The Haymarket cycle route involves leaving and rejoining the road, crossing and re-crossing the tram tracks, and features a narrow space between the tram lines and the kerb. I’ve been cycling and commuting for a long time, and the first time I used it, I found it difficult to work out where I was supposed to be riding. Infrastructure should be designed to remove confusion and risk, and make it easy for cyclists to get from A to B safely and quickly. Haymarket is a complete afterthought, and it’s not surprising that people are having accidents.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Way back in autumn 2005, TIE stuck a tram in Princes Street gardens with lots of shiny people there to do consultation / PR on the trams. I had a long conversation with them about the profile of the rails, the implication for bike tyres and the solutions which could be found to minimise the risk.

That included routing, angle of attack and the use of a sort of vulcanised rubber cover for the gap which heavy trams could depress but light bikes wouldn’t. I was not the first person to raise the issue as the responses seemed reasonably well informed and assurances about managing risk to bikes were made.

None of that happened.

Those who are saying people are too special maybe fail to understand the junctions involved. Haymarket has lots of inter-lane movement of different traffic types and an off camber bend heading west right on the cycle lane. The rails limit the ability to take the inevitable avoiding action required when a vehicle cuts you up. Riding through it is a problem because traffic doesn’t give bikes the space to do it safely.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

Probably all cycle traffic being diverted onto George Street though that’s not perfect at present.

ignoring how ridiculous the george street arrangement is, it’s in between the most challenging sections for bikes anyway

my favourite bit of town centre bike routing is the bit down from the mound where you are encouraged to mount the pavement, ride through tourists then into a single lane of fast moving buses. I would do it anyway, but i’m glad they put little pictures of bikes there too.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

No, I definitely do understand the junctions involved. I’ve been riding through them almost daily for quite a long time. As for the traffic not giving you space thing just take the space.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

it’s not possible to “just take the space” safely unless you are going 20mph+ which you have already established is a bad idea when dealing with tram tracks

oldbloke
    Free Member

As for the traffic not giving you space thing just take the space

I once left Haymarket Terrace in the back of an ambulance whilst taking the space – entirely down to driver stupidity.

Many people are too scared to take the space – there may be lots of cycle commuters but skill isn’t universally high. The infrastructure needs to be good enough for the below average skill or confidence levels, not just the expert. And it isn’t.

onehundredthidiot

The expert cyclist did write off £600 of clothing in his tumble. Even dressed head to toe in rapha it must have been some fall to write it all off.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I cross the tramlines all the time on my road bike. They are not difficult to cross in any way shape or form
    I also live in a city with a massive tram infastructure and yes isolated tram tracks are easy enough to bunny hop over but the problem is you share the road with users who do unexpected things that require you to take evasive action quickly sometimes hitting the tracks at the wrong angle and if it’s wet or worse cold (the metal ices up quicker than the road) you haven’t a chance.

nikk
    Free Member

Agree. Cycling through the city, especially in that bus / train station called Princess Street, commands a lot of attention and maneuvering, and is inherently dangerous. The tram tracks are just the icing on the cake. The whole city center road design takes no account of actual bike use.

Also, the trams are nonsense:

8. LUGGAGE

The following items may NOT be taken onto the Company’s trams:

bicycles except if specifically permitted by way of notices along with publication of the applicable conditions on the Company’s website. Folding bicycles which are folded and fully enclosed in a suitable carrying bag will be carried providing there is space available on the tram to do so.

http://edinburghtrams.com/information/conditions-of-carriage

So in places like Portland, the trams can be designed so people can take bikes on them no problem, but Edinburgh is so special, we canny have those horrible contraptions on our lovely new trams.

imnotverygood

Given that people successfully sue councils for tripping over broken paving slabs, an accident which you could avoid by simply looking where you are going while carrying out the very basic motor skill of walking, I’d have thought the chance of success here was pretty high. I’d like to see the council say in court, ‘this could be easily avoided by either bunny hopping over the tracks or ‘making space’ in traffic prior to turning your bike at right angles to the traffic flow. Your honour ‘

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

No, I definitely do understand the junctions involved. I’ve been riding through them almost daily for quite a long time. As for the traffic not giving you space thing just take the space.

I’m struggling to come to terms with how awesome you are, can you send me a picture so I can fap one out?

Gary_C

Whatever happened to watching where you’re going & taking responsibility for your own actions? Com-pen-say-shun… FFS.

IdleJon

onehundredthidiot – Member

The expert cyclist did write off £600 of clothing in his tumble. Even dressed head to toe in rapha it must have been some fall to write it all off.

£200 for a decent waterproof jacket? £100 for a helmet? £100 for a good pair of tights? £150 for a good set of SPD shoes?

We’re already at £550 and none of those prices are top-end, they don’t include gloves, glasses, etc. If he’d been wearing Rapha then a ripped pair of tights and a damaged softshell could add up to £440 before anything else.

Not everyone dresses in Aldi specials. 😉

The items don’t need to be written off to make a claim. Just a scuff that wasn’t his fault, or a small rip maybe….

imnotverygood

Whatever happened to watching where you’re going & taking responsibility for your own actions? Com-pen-say-shun… FFS.

Perhaps it thought that it might expect a piece of road infrastructure which did not require an above average degree of skill and confidence to negotiate safely?.

Northwind

There’s some specific bits that are bad. I’d be really curious to know how many of the falls happened on those, though. All the early stories I saw (and the 2 actual falls I’ve seen) have been total user error, just wandering into the line for no reason and there seems to be an assumption here that if someone falls on the tram line, it must be because there’s a problem.

I think my basic opinion is that yes, a tram line is a hazard to an unskilled cyclist. But the entire world is a hazard to an unskilled cyclist. Til we put childproof locks on them, people will fall off and hurt themselves. A lot of people have a real boner for the trams, some for valid reasons, some for cynical reasons, some for illogical reasons so it’s very easy for an anti-tram story to get a lot of attention.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m one of the first to sneer at the compensation culture, but the statistics and those pictures clearly show a problem.
    This sums it up completely.

The infrastructure needs to be good enough for the below average skill or confidence levels, not just the expert. And it isn’t.

Stu_N

The bit immediately in front of Haymarket station heading out of town – both on the road and following the cycle route – is potentially lethal and the council have been negligent in allowing the road design there IMO. This is also part of the NCN and the road markings are part of the problem, rather than a solution.

You can’t hold the road AND cross the lines at a safe angle. In simple terms, the road curves gently to the right and the tram lines curve gently to the left across the road so you have to cross both tracks at a dodgy angle in quick succession. I stay hard left then slow and cut right to cross at as much of an angle as possible, don’t mind it much on MTB but still gives me jitters in the wet on road tyres. This is a busy stretch of road and there’s a lot of buses and taxis. Moving the taxi rank has helped slightly but really the inside lane needs to be given over to cycles with a physical obstacle preventing other traffic from entering the space.

The rest of the tram/ bike infra isn’t too bad – you need to be aware of it and it restricts your “swerve space”, and take care on crossings. People coming off there is more bad luck, but Haymarket is inherently dangerous and needs sorted. Unless people are prepared to sue the council I don’t see this happening.

imnotverygood

I don’t have an issue with most of the tram tracks, yes they represent a hazard, but I do agree that you need to look out for them. I also accept that there are tram tracks all over the world that seem to be ok for most cyclists. My issue, like Stu, is with Haymarket. There is no doubt that the way the road is set out, along with the way the traffic behaves there, makes it a serious risk. I think NW is right in that just because someone falls off on tram rail that this does not necessarily mean there is a design fault. You have to look at each incident on its merits, and I think it is pretty clear that Haymarket needs a major re-design.

Stu_N

Streetview

Walk yourself out past Haymarket – basically follow the black Mazda – and the tram stop.

You won’t be able to use the cut left as the area will be blocked by taxis, delivery vans and people dropping off. Plus the lights don’t change for cycles so you can be sitting there for 2-3 mins trying to rejoin the traffic.

See how many times you have to cross tracks and the angles.

Then think about having a bus right behind you, pedestrians going in and out the station, often using the cobbled kerb as a short cut, sometimes stepping into the road. Oh, and it’s also dark and raining.

Now tell me it’s fine.

Oh, and if you want to go down into Haymarket Yards to join the bike path? FFS. Cross 4 tracks, squeeze in a foot wide lane between kerb and track, another 4 tracks to cross again.

More street view….

https://goo.gl/maps/AyKtY

Good, eh?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

😯 blimey. I thought Weymourth was bad enough, but at least nobody forces you to ride between the tracks.

br
    Free Member

I was in Edinburgh yesterday, one of our guys got the tram from the airport to the centre – he reckoned it took longer than the bus he normally gets…

And pull up a chair and read the comments:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/tram-fall-cyclists-to-sue-negligent-council-1-3669664

dudeofdoom

^^^^ Yep gotta feel the cyclist love 🙂

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

The tram is slower partly due to a round about route and much more expensive than the bus from the airport to the city centre. Even when in open areas away from the road the tram seems to crawl along. When the trams came in the frequency of the airport buses was increased (one every ten minutes I think) which doesn’t do much to encourage tram use by airport users.

And if I recall correctly the original plan years ago was to ban cyclists from Princes Street, so they might revert to that.

Drac

Best watch out for the St Petersburg ones too.

Houns

Just about to say the same

Northwind

dudeofdoom – Member

^^^^ Yep gotta feel the cyclist love

We’re the only thing the evening news readership hates even more than trams.

“Your wrose tahn hitler efficient mass transportation!”

tom200

Sound like a valid reason to get a fat bike if you ask me.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Tram fall cyclists to sue Edinburgh council’ is closed to new replies.