Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trains Carlisle to Glasgow and return all cancelled for a month
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

Due to serious damage to Lamington Viaduct, betwween Glasgow and Carlisle ,and bikes dont go on replacemrnt coaches, just incase anyone is travelling this month, caledonian sleepers also affected.

bearnecessities

Yay, more happy posts! 😉

project
    Free Member

Some people may have been planning an early scotish tour, now serious disrupted by the floods.

😯

scotroutes

Aye cheers. That’ll affect my daughters travel plans this month (which likely means more driving more me 🙁 )

CraigW
    Free Member

There are a few trains via Dumfries and Kilmarnock, but that will take a lot longer.

geoffj

West coast from Edinburgh is ok though I guess.

scotroutes

I thought that went through Carstairs and down through Lamington too?

onehundredthidiot

East coast are fine. West coast from Edinburgh will also be cancelled.

geoffj

First Transpennine Express services between Manchester and Scotland have also been hit by the closure.

Yup – Edinburgh trains affected too 🙁

maccruiskeen

East coast are fine.

the track will be fine – I think the trains will be a bit busy!

Trying to organise my gf’s mum getting back from London (that whole family has a travel curse, constantly finding themselves the wrong side of a channel tunnel fire or an icelandic volcano eruption) and Virgin have told her not to travel if possible.

Oddly they seem to be honouring tickets bought to Glasgow (from London) as far as Edinburgh, via the east coast line but not for the final leg on Scotrail from Waverley. Surely a ticket to Glasgow is a ticket to Glasgow and virgin are supposed to get her all the way there.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You sure about that? The site says the forward travel will be honoured by Scotrail.

Passengers travelling between London and Glasgow Central should travel from London Kings Cross via Edinburgh on Virgin Trains East Coast and ScotRail services. Tickets are not accepted on CrossCountry services between Birmingham and Glasgow.

Guessing they will be shoving trains over the Hexham line to make the Carlisle to GLC run then running them back through Carstairs?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Guessing they will be shoving trains over the Hexham line to make the Carlisle to GLC run then running them back through Carstairs?

Think thats what they did after the derailment a few years back, turns out Glasgow to Manchester is a very short flight but the train overall is quicker

globalti
    Free Member

This explains why Trainline is not showing a direct train from Glasgow to Preston at the moment.

project
    Free Member

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/update-on-damage-to-lamington-viaduct-caused-by-storm-frank

one pier has been undermined and rail deck dropped by a few feet it appears on other web sites, big and dangerous job to fix.

and after this happened https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glanrhyd_Bridge_collapse Network rail can and musnt take any chances on bridge safety

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trains Carlisle to Glasgow and return all cancelled for a month’ is closed to new replies.