Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • TrainingPeaks (or alternative) – Is it worth the effort?
  • gothandy

It is that time of year again, when I start thinking about the year ahead, for the last 2 or 3 years I’ve wondered if I should take the plunge and start using an online service to help me train.

Trouble is there seems to be a lot of effort involved in getting started, and I get the feeling to get any benefits out of these sites you need to put the ground work in and really give it a chance.

Is there anyone on here who use these sites and would kindly offer their views, insight and general thoughts?

Cheers all!

lucien

TP only good if you are going to monitor power output, and then only if you have the time, inclination and a degree in sports science to understand it. In the end I found it was more data than I could deal with (and I was riding on the road, so easier to stay at certain levels and cadence) and my HRM data still gives me key info like threshold, cadence, GPS data etc.

If you are using a HRM instead, lots of excellent (and cheaper) alternative software around. I have used both the Polar Personal Trainer (V5) and am currently using Sports Tracks Linky Link Linkand find it really useful (for training) and very interesting from a GPS point of view – it’s matched with a Garmin 500.

Hope this helps

gothandy

lucien thanks for your comments most helpful.

I also use HR only so your feedback on TP sounds spot on. Just not sure training with a powertap makes sense with the stress and strain of mountain biking.

I’ve been using Garmin Connect to give me all the high level numbers so far. Shame that doesn’t give a few more training related features.

The Sports Track software does look good and looks like a good step up from GC. I’ll give it a go!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘TrainingPeaks (or alternative) – Is it worth the effort?’ is closed to new replies.