Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Training tips – old roadie style
  • theotherjonv

I’ve ridden a lot this year, by my standards at least, and I’m probably fitter now than I have been for 20-odd years. However, it’s all been directed towards soloing at the gorrick and as such has been a lot of long rides, with relatively few fast rides. I did some turbos last winter when weather was shite and measured my threshold on a TT style effort; I did the same a few days ago and found in spite of all the riding I’ve done my threshold is pretty much unchanged, if anything slightly lower than it was.

So what now – I know winter is supposed to be lots of base miles but it feels like I’ve spent most of this year doing base. Do I keep doing long rides (all winter!) and then wait for spring to work on speed, or do more shorter, faster, interval type ones and lots of turbo sessions to increase speed now, and will that compromise stamina that i have built up? How to keep both?

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s tricky this time of year, work and diminishing light etc.

Weekend rides are essential ‘to me’ Saturday 35/40 miles and CX race Sunday. If no CX race then a long small ring steady ride on Sunday.
    Turbos Monday intense session but shorter.
    Tuesday road ride after work, but on the MTB, on the knobblies for resistance workout.
    Wednesday fastish XC night ride, not too long.
    Thursday steady turbo session.
    Wednesday and Thursday can be swapped about.
    Friday is rest, and so on.
    I do weights after the shorter turbo sessions.

Come Spring I drop the amount of days, but up the distances (which is a bit pointless)and the turbo sessions become more specific.

After the cross season, but before the road season I watch my weight, lose a few pounds if needs be. Going quite well on this, certainly better since leaving my club and following the training plans of guys that have been riding one year.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Fixed!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonba
    Free Member

My understanding was that you need a base to be able to withstand the speed work and be able to recover. If you have a good base then you are unlikely to lose it while doing the faster harder rides. However with no base you will not get faster, just tired and probably injured.

Personally I do some cross up until Xmas and try and get some miles in by riding to the events and back. Come January I just try to minimise losses before stepping it up when the better weather arrives. I always find that anything done now is futile as it is Jan/Feb when the real bad weather kicks in and riding is harder. I just try and get out when I can and have fun. Mixing it up is probably a good bet. I think the base riding thing is very old theory.

mudsux
    Free Member

frequency, intensity, duration. Pick two.
    I have to eliminate duration because I don’t have endless time in the week to train. Which effectively eliminates the base miles.
    I have a good level of fitness already – So I go for frequency / intensity with recovery in between hard sessions.
    Come March / April – I then begin to build up endurance with longer rides.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Training tips – old roadie style’ is closed to new replies.