• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by benji.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Training programme for 35 mile ride.
  • rebutz
    Free Member

I will be riding in a 35mile mtb charity event later in the year, i’m a regular rider doing 20 (ish) mile rides once a week but not sure if i’ve ever done 35m.

Does anyone have any guidance for how to train for an event like this?

simonbowns
    Free Member

you’ll be fine as is!

jam-bo

unless you are on your knees after the 20 miles, you’ll be fine.

sandwicheater

Reckon the jump isn’t that big. If you are used to 20 mile rides now I’d just be doing more of the same but trying to add the odd dog leg.

EDIT: Oh yeah, eat more pies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Start riding a bit further, keep doing that. 35miles/56km isn’t that bad if you have some base fitness.
    The warm up for this http://www.manxe2e.org/
    was a few guiness on the ferry and some wine 😉

nickc

You could just steadily increase your weekly mileage. depends on the terrain of your big ride, but you could probably do it now. take it steady, keep the fuel going in, plenty of stops

kayla1
    Free Member

Yep, just do it (as the ad says), it’ll be fine 😀 Good luck and have fun!

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you can comfortably do 2/3 the distance then you can complete the distance

Up the mileage a bit if you like.

Keva
    Free Member

do a couple of 25ers one week then a couple of 30s the next and you’ll be reet. My rides are generally between 20-30 cross country miles and I can always do 40 if I feel like it.

nickc

Having thought about this, it does obviously depend on the terrain you ride now vs the terrain of the charity event as well. If it’s about the same sort of terrain you’re used then you’ll probs be OK, if it’s mountainous then get some hill reps in!

either way, have fun!

rebutz
    Free Member

Thanks for the encouragement, doesn’t seem so daunting in after that. It’s over Dartmoor so could be rough in places but i imagine some nice tracks also.

Looking forward to it!

Northwind

Yep, MTB isn’t measured in distance, it’s measured in haribos. 35 miles could be a daunder or it could be a 3 bagger.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why not go and do a 35-mile ride beforehand if it’s worrying you?

Not only would it be the perfect training for a 35-mile ride, but you’d then know it’s something you are capable of.

kayla1
    Free Member

NW- starmix or tangfastic?

Northwind

Jelly babies. From poundworld.

nickc

No, not jelly babies, too many and they make you nauseous, this only ever happens with jelly babies weirdly. And from Poundworld? have you no shame?

all aligator tangfastics are belong to us…

Yak

No no, you’ve got it all wrong. You need a mix of tangfastics, jelly beans and fig rolls.

Anyway, OP, whatever pace you do 20miles in, just keep at that but eat regularly and you’ll be fine.

Northwind

nickc – Member

And from Poundworld? have you no shame?

No. When you’re buying £20 worth of haribo, shame is not a luxury you can afford.

nickc

£20.00 on Haribo..? [is impressed]

I don’t think I ever could…How do you not eat them all in one glorious sickening day long sugar fuelled blow out? 😆

robowns
    Free Member

Yep, MTB isn’t measured in distance, it’s measured in haribos. 35 miles could be a daunder or it could be a 3 nagger.

Fantastic – and true.

rebutz
    Free Member

Thanks guys, haribo is all that’s required… I have a few months before the ride but will start on the haribo tomorrow 🙂

ben98
    Free Member

Rule 5

benji
    Free Member

Haribo golden bears is how I roll, have been found as low as 50p for a big bag 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Training programme for 35 mile ride.’ is closed to new replies.