Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Training help please. Getting fitterer.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So finally back riding reasonably regular. 15 mile ish of proper hilly/mtb stuff on Tuesday/Saturday every week.
    Was thinking about sticking a Thursday fast blast around the local res on the way home in too.
    Consists of just under 8 miles on hard pack track which is hilly(ish) in parts which I’ve done many times in the past in 30 mins. Can I do some kind interval training within that loop that would help me?

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you’ve no specific training goals just mix up the pace. Sprint up the hills or to the next tree for example, or session a bit of trail.

mattjg
    Free Member

ride as hard as you can every ride

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pushing myself on the Tuesday night ride, then still going for it on the Saturday morning but enjoying it more by not being so full on if that makes sense. However the Thursday I want to really go for it. So just blast the whole 8 miles?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would mix in some gym work if you can for core strength. I couldn’t ride 6 days a week but by mixing rides with gym work and gym classes I can exercise 5-6 days a week.

IanW
    Free Member

Garmin/Strava ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes I use strava. It would appear I’m reasonably quick for a fat lad riding a full suss on the res loop already. Don’t really understand the whole interval thing and was just wondering if it was an option? No gym membership and two kiddies at home somewhat reduces my chance of getting one. Any core stuff I can do at home?

Rorschach
    Free Member

ride as hard as you can every ride

/\ this

TheSanityAssassin

You want to get fitter/faster? Buy a road bike. And use it.

eulach

What he ^ said but only use it to get to work and back.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Any core stuff I can do at home?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUjFh4J1dnc[/video]

all you need is time and motivation 🙂

Fantombiker

ride with people fitter than you….

Clover

Just been doing intervals twice a week and it has made a big difference. Less than an hour on the bike (warm up the three sets of three 30s efforts then warm down). Unbelievably steam rollered the following day. Will find out on Saturday whether enough to get me round 150 mile Tour of Flanders! Plus have done some extra road rides and have even enjoyed them.

the-muffin-man

Was thinking about sticking a Thursday fast blast around the local res on the way home in too.
    Consists of just under 8 miles on hard pack track which is hilly(ish) in parts which I’ve done many times in the past in 30 mins. Can I do some kind interval training within that loop that would help me?

Yes (is this Carsington!?) – I used to live at Wirksworth and it was a regular part of my training. Don’t blast the whole 8 miles – blast the steep bits out of the saddle in a hard gear and use the downs to recover. But do all the steep bits not the new family friendly route!

I used to do 2 or 3 laps at a time.

And this too!

annebr
    Free Member

Try chucking in some longer rides (25+ miles) on the weekend if you can afford the time.

trickydisco
    Free Member

+ extend your commute

Mine used to be 3 miles now i’ve extended it to 10 miles each way and i’ve noticed a difference. Thankfully this is all cycle track and when empty i can nail it into work

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Training help please. Getting fitterer.’ is closed to new replies.