Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,012 total)
  • Training and diet talk…
  • lazybike
    Free Member

for anyone who may be interested here’s the glycogen highlights…

stored primarily in the liver and muscle tissue

Glycogen stores significantly more limited than adipose tissue

# Increased storage can double duration of exhaustive work
    # Low or depleted glycogen stores

* limits exercise intensity
    * decreases time to exhaustion
    * increases rating of perceived exhaustion during physical activity (Nieman 1987)

# The average person stores enough glycogen to last them 12 to 14 hours or over 2 hours with sustained moderate intensity.

* Mean ingested daily is 400 grams
    * To maintain an adequate supply a minimum of 100 grams of carbohydrates should be ingested daily

Approximately 50% more glycogen can be stored if carbohydrates are consumed immediately following strenuous exercise as opposed to waiting 2 hours after exercise

* Suggested amount
    o 100 g of carbohydrates (400 Kcal) for the average 175 lb man (Friedman 1991).
    o 10 – 20% of total daily caloric intake of carbohydrates and quality proteins in approximately a 4:1 ratio
    interesting stuff….

Edukator
    Free Member

Kato is a geologist and a police officer. I’m a geologist and teacher but don’t do either at the moment. We’re two differnt posters, Solo, and Kato hasn’t posted on this thread.

On the fat burning zone: conventional wisdom says you burn fat during prolonged exercise so exercising at a level that allows you to maintain an activity for several hours wil result in you burning fat. You can increase the fat you burn by eating carbs during the exercise thus prolonging the time you can exercise at a reasonable intensity for.

In practical terms if you exercise for an hour at a high intensity you won’t burn much fat. However, if you exercise for six hours eating enough carbs to maintain a reasonable intensity you will burn fat, glycongen and the food you’re eating. Fueling up with carbs in the half hour that follows such an long effort will serve mainly to replace glycogen stocks; these after-effort carbs won’t make you fat.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Think I’ll go back to counting calories as it worked last time and I like having the numbers to focus on. That and going back to sinply doing hours in the gym allong with long rides, no more of the HIIT/minimum effective dose style workouts, if I’ve got an hour for a bike ride it’ll be at the max pace I can sustain for an hour, anything longer will be at whatever pace feels comfortable. Worked for me last time so hopefully it’ll work again.

Problem is this time I’ve got a car, which automaticaly makes me lazy 🙁

ton

can i just say……..this idiet thing is shyte!!
    it is gonna cost me a whole new wardrobe of clothes……. 8)

ton

oh, and 4lbs off this week……. 8)

finbar
    Free Member

I won a race t’other weekend. This one:

http://www.endurerevents.co.uk/

I had rice for breakfast beforehand.

CaptJon
    Free Member

nice one ton.

I’m doing an iDave experiment. One day to go and i’ll post the results. I started at 75.5kg and 18.9% body fat (according to my new shiny scales). Anyone want to guess what i’ll be at tomorrow morning?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Emsz … if i can keep your pace for the duration next week, I’ll be happy

“I get bored of all the diet and science stuff. I’ve tried to read loads of articles but as soon as they start with the scientific terms I just switch off.”

+1 Too much information, it starts to bore me as well… my philosophy is… stop reading and just do what you fancy !!

You’ll be happy and therefore train harder or longer and when you’ve done lots of harder or longer you’ll be able to combine them and go harder for longer.

Now get off STW and get out there…. I am … I’m off to the gym for more tapering work …. Ie a nice little midday snooze in the chill out room… (out with the Thiftgreen Trotters running club tonight)

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m more interested in what weight you’ll be at in three years time, CaptJon. And what health problems you have in thirty years time.

Diet isn’t just about losing wieight it’s about being healthy. I sugest that the mediteranean diet with a protein intake based around the 4-2-1 French Olymic diet I mentioned on the other thread (and slagged off by iDave) is more likely to result in long term weight stability, low heart disease and less risk of cancer.

lazybike
    Free Member

C’mon I’m bored and nobody has mentioned i???? this week.

….. 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

the only science required is to know what your body needs and when it needs it. bollox to all this clock watching shieite. For me depends on the terrain involved, how intense i may have work at certain points and when there is a chance to take it easier, how much more work there is do etc..- that’s how time my refuelling.

Kev

CaptJon
    Free Member

Edukator – Member
    I’m more interested in what weight you’ll be at in three years time, CaptJon. And what health problems you have in thirty years time.

aww, thanks.

Diet isn’t just about losing wieight it’s about being healthy.

nss

I sugest that the mediteranean diet with a protein intake based around the 4-2-1 French Olymic diet I mentioned on the other thread (and slagged off by iDave) is more likely to result in long term weight stability, low heart disease and less risk of cancer.

Didn’t he slag it off in terms of its use for/by elite athletes?

ton

Edukator, can you please tell me what health risks there are from eating a diet made up from vast amounts of veg and salad, lean meat and fish?

i am just going to eat a skinless chicken breast, olives, cherry toms and a dollop of hummus for lunch, and if that is gonna cause me healt problems, i want to know why.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is it used by the current French Olympic Team?

Solo
    Free Member

it is gonna cost me a whole new wardrobe of clothes…….

You love it really 😀

I know what you mean emsz – I just want it to say ‘do this to be Awesome!!!’.

Ah, a result of the internet age.

Just show me the big red button ! mentallity.

Well, I’d almost apolgize for being interested in the science.

But by learning that shit, at least I’ll know what to do and what not to do.
    According to science.
    Today’s science, that is….

And I prefer this to just blindly running around like a skinny loon, or just pretending I don’t know anything.

lazybike
    Free Member

Do people do the diet to get to a target weight, and then eat more carbs, or is it a lifetime thing….

Solo
    Free Member

Ton.

Good post.
    Its given me ideas for lunch today, so I’m off out for mine.

I haven’t trained for my trip to the shops for lunch, so I’ll not promise a time for my return.

😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

lazybike – Member
    Do people do the diet to get to a target weight, and then eat more carbs, or is it a lifetime thing….

it isn’t a low carb diet

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I prefer to think of it as being efficient Solo… why do the work if you can get someone else to do it for you?

Can you grab me a pint of milk from the shops?

Edukator
    Free Member

The high proportion of protein advocated by iDave can lead to the problems on the link in my last post. On the last thread we were debating on iDave said 4-2-1 was rubbish for endurance athletes and quoted Mark Allen’s 4-3-3 as a reference. Increasing proteins and fats in relation to carbs increases your risk.

Add a chunk of wholemeal bread to your lunch, halve the chicken portion and splash some olive oil over the lot, and you’ll be well within the realms of the mediterranean diet.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Edukator – as far as I know the added protein in iDave’s meals comes from switching towards lentils, quinoa etc for carbs rather than grain and potato based carbs. I didn’t think it was about increasing meat portions.

Is there a risk associated to the protein in pulses or is it just from meats, or certain types of meat?

Solo
    Free Member

Add a chunk of wholemeal bread to your lunch, halve the chicken portion small and splash some olive oil over the lot, and you’ll be well within the realms of the mediterranean diet.

Ha !.

Edukator, in:
    Read what I post and the links I post.
    While I ignore what others post

Shocker !.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Actually I just followed the wikilink for the Med Diet…

It’s not that dissimilar to the iDiet IMO. It adds fruit, unrefined cereals and a small amount of dairy.

CaptJon
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Is it used by the current French Olympic Team?

i think iDave said it was outdated.

Edukator
    Free Member

Could you post what I’ve missed and ignored that’s annoyed you please, Solo. I read Ton’s post and answered the question.

Apologies, it was IanMunro suggesting mark Allen’ 4-3-3.

This is definitely iDave

“I’m saying eat carbs all the time in generous quantities not just after intensive training sessions”

The worlds leading authorities on sport and endurance performance would say that’s incorrect. You may do that, good for you. You may think that because you do it and your slim friend does it then your thoughts on how we metabolise different food types is ‘right’. You’ll find that the people who are performing at the highest level in endurance sport are not doing as you do.

ton

Edukator, so the health risk will come solely from eating lean meat?

how so..

Jamie
    Free Member

finbar:

I won a race t’other weekend. This one:

http://www.endurerevents.co.uk/

I had rice for breakfast beforehand.

Congrats Finbar….even though, if I had not been busy that weekend I would have given you a run for your money*

*not a challenge mind, just a run 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

I think adding the main things iDave bans:

I’m against generous amounts of grains, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. Yeah. Very much so.

is quite a significant difference, Yeti, given the importance of bread and pasta (wheat in various forms) in all the countries surrounding the Med.

If there has been an evolution since the 4-2-1 French Olympic diet it has been towards more protein so when iDave says “modern” we can imply more protein and fat unless he wishes to state otherwise.

One of the reasons I myself odopted a mix of 4-2-1 and mediterranean was that the diet was developped before many doping techniques altered the metabolism of athletes. At the time athletes were found with a hundred or so products in their blood, they’re faster now so you know what I think… .

ton

mate, what about the lean meat/health risks tho?

lazybike
    Free Member

it isn’t a low carb diet

sorry my understanding was no carbs for 6 days, then eat what you like for a day, not trying to slag it off, just interested, so its a lifestyle thing?

Edukator
    Free Member

Eating more lean meat than in the mediterranean diet is unhealthy for the reasons in my “health problems” link above, Ton. And as iDave rubbishes the French Olympic diet proportions of 4-2-1 we can safely say he is suggesting you eat proportionally more protein.

CaptJon
    Free Member
    ton

deffo a lifestyle change for me.
    Dave and Solo opened my eyes to it, but a very long time reading about the primal plan has concreted my future hopefully.

finbar
    Free Member

Congrats Finbar….even though, if I had not been busy that weekend I would have given you a run for your money*

*not a challenge mind, just a run

Thanks! It was a good laugh, i’d recommend the next one in September if you’re around. All the bramble scratches on my legs might have recovered by then as well…

Keva
    Free Member

any change in eating habits in order to lose weight has to be permanent otherwise as soon as one goes back to the old habits the old results will again begin to show.

Kev

CaptJon
    Free Member

edu – i think you might be conflating the idave diet (designed for ‘biffers’) and what idave advocates for the elite athletes he works with. there is nothing about proportions in the idave diet plan.

trickydisco
    Free Member

sorry my understanding was no carbs for 6 days, then eat what you like for a day,

Vegetables,Beans/lentils,Eggs,Seeds/nuts all have carbs in

lazybike
    Free Member

here you go, the basics

Thanks for that, what sort of stuff are you eating on your days off, is it straight down the chip shop! or just some toast with breakfast, pasta with lunch etc

ton

Edukator, i would just like to add, i have not increased my meat intake at all. probably decreased it to be honest.
    no more of the following,
    bacon
    sausage
    black pudding
    processed meat
    pie
    fast food stuff
    eating loads more fish tho, mackeral, tuna , salmon, shellfish.

Edukator
    Free Member

Me confusing things or iDave, CaptJon? Why would he rubbish 4-2-1 without the proviso it’s fine for mere mortals that wish to maintain a stable healthy weight and even lose wieght (simply by reducing portion sizes or increasing activity to create a very small calorie deficit).

I’ve consistently talked about “endurance athletes” and any STWer wishing to eat heathily because as far as I’m concerned 4-2-1 in a mediterranean context is fine for both. He hasn’t stated what diciplines his rainbow jersey athletes compete in or how what they eat differs from 4-2-1. If you don’t like 4-2-1 then what is your alternative for STWers/endurance athletes, iDave?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,012 total)

The topic ‘Training and diet talk…’ is closed to new replies.