Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Trainerroaderists – please help me get started and select my plans
  • marvincooper

I just did the 8 minute test and now I’m tying to put plans together for the next few months, with my aim being to improve my pace for long rides (centuries and 200 miles plus). First major goal is a 600k Audax at the end of May, then 2 400k rides in July.

I have some sort of base right now but not from any structured training – certainly nothing like intervals, just lots of 25 mile commutes and long weekend rides. I have done a couple of 400k rides last year. I’m thinking I’ll add the low volume options of the TR plans to what I currently do, maybe reducing my commuting miles which are not really getting me any fitter.

Anyway, I’m finding it difficult to choose which plan to start now and then when to switch to a “Build” plan and/or a “Speciality” plan. It seems to me like the “Build” and “Speciality” plans overlap in terms of working back in time from my goals.

From the Trainerroad FAQ, they say to finish Base 9-12 weeks before key events, then to use that time to do a Build plan and then taper/peak. I was looking at doing the “Sustained Power Build” plan which is 8 weeks. But that leaves no time to do any of the “Speciality” plans which are generally 11 weeks.

If I was to follow Base then Build then Speciality then I would be finishing Base 19 weeks before my 600k – which is about now.

I’m thinking maybe I should keep the base going much longer then go to the 8-week “Sustained Power Build” 10 weeks before my 600k, and not bothering with the “Speciality” .

Any thoughts folks? Anyone else use TR for long endurance fitness?

Any help much appreciated!

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m thinking maybe I should keep the base going much longer then go to the 8-week “Sustained Power Build” 10 weeks before my 600k, and not bothering with the “Speciality” .

i’d do that. but maybe mix in some higher intensity stuff. theres no issue with swapping the programmes around a bit.

I found 20 minute power accellerator/ 40 km TT made a big difference to 200 km rides (long for me)

also have a read of this if you haven’t seen it before.
    http://www.biketechreview.com/performance/supply/55-stripped-down-fill-the-right

trevorderuise
    Free Member

How is your current level of fitness? If you still have a good foundation from 2014, you will be fine just doing Sweet Spot Base, and cutting it down a bit. Perhaps only doing SS Base II. I would recommend doing a Build, and then we’ll have an ultra-endurance Specialty plan out that will be perfect for you. It’s important to remember that you’re going to be extremely fit before the end of the Specialty plan. With several target events like you have, I would even recommend starting racing before you are completely finished with the Specialty plan, as your peak fitness will be challenging to maintain for many weeks beyond this large block of training.

-Trevor from TrainerRoad

marvincooper

Thanks thomthumb.

Trevor – that’s very interesting, thanks. My fitness is OK for long rides – I can happily knock out a steady 100 miler right now and did 150 miles in November with no trouble. I’m sure I can get myself ready to complete rides of 600k but I’m looking to increase my pace over last year.

Do you know when the new Speciality plan is due out and what it’s duration is? I think I will start the SS Base II now and do that for 4-6 weeks, then move on to the Sustained Power Build.

Many thanks for the advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Trainerroaderists – please help me get started and select my plans’ is closed to new replies.