Viewing 40 posts - 2,441 through 2,480 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • Kryton57

Some turbos, especially mag ones, are very susceptible to this warm up effect. When I had my old mag turbo I could be in one or two gears higher

Same here – Elite Fluid for me and you can actually feel the viscosity changing between the first 3-6 miniutes depending on the temperature / warm up style.

ferrals
    Free Member

I don’t believe the TR figures at all with virtual power, it has me at 5.7 FTP/kg which is quite frankly ludicrous given my race history

mrblobby
    Free Member

5.7 FTP/kg

😆

Virtual power can be a bit silly. It wouldn’t be so bad if it was at least consistent, but it isn’t.

ferrals
    Free Member

I cant really understand why its so wrong when it seems to work for most people.. any idea? Not that it actually matters given its a training number and all the plans are just percentages of that number

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s just the map for your turbo. I think some turbos have a lot more variation than others between units of the same make and model. It’d be nice for those that use virtual power if you could create your own map.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Some turbos, especially mag ones, are very susceptible to this warm up effect.

Yep, virtual power on a cyclops fluid 2 would be comical – i’ve had 3 different fluid units (first 2 replaced under warranty after about 18 months a piece for fluid leaks). All 3 of them have had different resistance curves, and all 3 have taken a different amount of time to warm up, ranging from a steep warm up ‘step’ at 20mins to a continual ramp for over an hour.

ferrals
    Free Member

So what you’re saying is I need to buy a real power meter 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

You don’t have a real power meter 😯

ferrals
    Free Member

Would love one but can’t see me buying one shortly, could buy a cx pit bike for the price of a reliable one! Its virtual power inside and HR or just beasting it outside!

ianpv
    Free Member

Virtual power can be a bit silly. It wouldn’t be so bad if it was at least consistent, but it isn’t.

I find virtual power to be very consistent on my Kurt Road Machine as long as you keep the spin down constant from session to session. I use their specified roll down time after a warmup (13s from 32km/h or so) and the Kurt is meant to be pretty consistent. I used to have an imagic but it felt horrible compared to the Kurt and definitely over-estimated power.

The Kurt is good enough to train by, anyway. I’ve no idea if it is accurate compared to real power (my alleged ‘FTP’ is 296 at 71kg, which seems about ball park – I can contribute to fast chain gangs with reasonable club riders (cat 3 & 2) but am definitely not one of the strong guys; I’ve been on the winning team at oktoberfest and podiumed sleepless etc., so I’m alright but no superstar).

I’d love a power meter but it seems an extravagance at my level unless I see a stages going cheap or something. I’m going to start racing again next year so perhaps that will convince me to get one! It just seems a faff when I’ve got four bikes and ride them all (winter/summer road bikes; hardtail and trail bike!). I’m sure as hell not getting four pms!

if I know I’m going on what is likely to be a fast ride I quite often don’t use a computer on the bars – if I’m not going fast enough, I’m not going fast enough and that’s the end of it!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kurt are meant to be about the best for consistency, really well designed. Meant to be even better if you get the inride module and let it work out power. If I was getting that sort of turbo, I’d get a Kurt.

Kryton57

You don’t want a Power Meter. In my experience they just throw out a set of thoroughly disappointing numbers.

Kryton57

Question: I’m starting short power build LV. My weekend outdoor rides would mean ill never get the Saturday over-unders in.

Should in swap one of the Tues/Thurs intervals for Saturdays OU for more benefit?

gray

How big / intense are your weekend outdoor rides? Given that you’re doing low volume, would it be feasible to squeeze in all of the TR plan into Mon-Fri and still get enough recovery?

(Just wondering out loud – I’m not qualified to advise on this stuff.)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Since its a build phase rather than base, include OU intervals in the last hour of your weekend road ride.

You’ll get most of the endurance benefits from riding easy for the first 2-3hrs and not miss out on the good stuff either.

bensales
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion that TR plans are designed as a whole and aren’t intended to include ‘normal’ riding. Personally I’d follow the plan only. Your outdoor ride might mean that you’re not recovered enough to do the following TR planned session, irrespective of missing a planned session.

If you want to do you own thing with a club run, then I’d build my own plan around that. From what you’ve said about your long rides they’re pretty serious business in terms of distance and will be having a large effect on your recovery even if they’re not intense. The low volume plans are naturally of a higher intensity to make up for the lack of volume. Start throwing in your own low intensity, high volume stuff, and you’ll put the plan out.

Kryton57

I get that but i want to be outside at the weekend if possible and not stuck on the turbo for the next 6 months. O/U’s are a bit part of XC/TT style training and I’m thoughtful that 1 x times short intervals effort on Thursday followed by 1 x O/U’s on Thursday rather than another set of short intervals is best.

My weekend ride won’t always be “base”. Sometimes it’ll be a C race, sometimes MTB alone which means I can push hills and segments, sometimes a club ride within which ill be challenged. So maybe I’m better thinking I can swap the intervals depending on what the weekend replicates.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion that TR plans are designed as a whole and aren’t intended to include ‘normal’ riding. Personally I’d follow the plan only.

I agree, but how dull would it be not to ride normally. The sat and sunday rides can normally be easily replicated outside (Sat. less so i guess)

bensales
    Free Member

ferrals – Member
    I agree, but how dull would it be not to ride normally. The sat and sunday rides can normally be easily replicated outside (Sat. less so i guess)

Agreed, but I guess it depends on your focus. In a similar vein to the other thread that’s running about only riding for enjoyment. I’m only riding for Ironman training, so I will be following the sessions to the plan, and only training on the trainer. Because the target I have requires that specific work. Outdoor rides, whilst nice, are too variable when I have a single goal of one 112 mile time trial. I get much better quality work in 3 hours on the trainer, than 5 hours outdoors. Particularly when I need to go an run for a couple of hours after it!

ferrals
    Free Member

Agreed, turbo time is way more efficient, I also struggle to replicate the very hard intervals outside. I can see for your goals its all you need. Luckily for me I have a few flat cyclepath routes where i can sit at 155-160bpm ad infinitum to replicate the sunday session, which is still dull but less dull than sitting for 3hrs on the turbo!!

By end of next week, when clocks change I imagine I’ll be 100% turbo outside of races 🙁

fifeandy
    Free Member

Agreed, but I guess it depends on your focus. In a similar vein to the other thread that’s running about only riding for enjoyment. I’m only riding for Ironman training, so I will be following the sessions to the plan, and only training on the trainer. Because the target I have requires that specific work. Outdoor rides, whilst nice, are too variable when I have a single goal of one 112 mile time trial. I get much better quality work in 3 hours on the trainer, than 5 hours outdoors. Particularly when I need to go an run for a couple of hours after it!

Whilst I agree about following plans in general, I really disagree with training full time on the indoor trainer. You end up really good at riding an indoor trainer and not very good at riding a bike. Whenever possible, sessions should be replicated as closely as possible outdoors.

When riding indoor you don’t:
    place anywhere near as much strain on supporting/stabilisation muscles.
    learn to stay smooth over rough road.
    learn not to fight the wind.
    and as good as modern trainers are, you don’t replicate hills the same.

Kryton57

Especially for MTB ^^ but for any technical expertise needed, there’s no practise.

In light of the conversation I may change my 132k base for our novice level club ride on Saturday. I’ll ride 15k there over heavily rolling terrain which I can smash, the ride itself will be at my z2 for abojut 50k, then I get the 15k back home which can be a smash again.

So I’ll get my O/U’s and a couple of hours of base together, plus my weekend ride, plus a chance to give back to cycling beginners. Win Win!

ferrals
    Free Member

Had issues with this last spring after a lot of turbo work.

Worth doing core exercizes and glute strethening excerzies. Plus lots of flexibility work

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I learnt this much to my cost last year. I was fit but good at riding on a trainer , not doing enduro races.

bensales
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member

When riding indoor you don’t:
    learn to stay smooth over rough road.
    learn not to fight the wind.

Valid points, but I do have 35 years of bike riding experience to help me with those bits 🙂

And for the supporting/stabilisation muscles, there are several TR workouts that require single leg drills, single arm, and no-arm drills, with lots on them done in aero position.

I think I’m lucky the trainer riding is actually about as close as you can get to my current target, that of a long distance TT. I had less success with using it for mtb racing for the reasons pointed out.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what time are you aiming for on the bike leg, and how many hours a week of turbo’ing does that equate to?
    Very interested in doing an Ironman myself (maybe 2018), but need to A) remember how to run – not done since my teens, and B) learn how to pace myself swimming to last more than 3 mins 😛

bazzer
    Free Member

@bensales

Are you new to power training or have you been doing it a while ? Are you using an ERG mode trainer ?

Interested as I have been training with power for a couple of years now and I did most of my Ironman training on the Kickr last year. Like you I felt it was the best bang for my buck.

However I think I am going to mix it up a bit more this year. I want more practice at holding my power targets over real changing terrain where you need to change gear to maintain cadence etc etc.

I got really good at peddling at 100rpm and letting the trainer set the power for me.

I did do a few TT’s etc to help with pacing and put some race power intervals into longer rides but still think I could do better with more practice.

bensales
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member
    Just out of interest, what time are you aiming for on the bike leg, and how many hours a week of turbo’ing does that equate to?

Aiming for 6 hours on the bike. Plan goes from a low of roughly 3 hours on the bike to a peak of just over 7. I’ve strung together TrainerRoad’s Half Distance Base, Full Distance Base, Full Distance Build, and then 2x Full Distance Speciality blocks to give a 40 week programme. All on Low Volume which goes from 7.5 hours per week up to a peak of just over 16. Had to do some minor tweaks to cater for working away from home Tues-Thurs each week.

Plan is here if you’re interested… https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzi25z7djfllf7h/Ironman%202017%20Plan.pdf?dl=0

Note, the ‘XCs’ in there are running club cross-country league races that can’t be missed!

Very interested in doing an Ironman myself (maybe 2018), but need to A) remember how to run – not done since my teens, and B) learn how to pace myself swimming to last more than 3 mins

First Iron distance for me, although I’ve run several marathons, loads of long distance bike over the years, and can comfortably swim the required distance, albeit not stunningly quickly. Very much complete, rather than compete.

bensales
    Free Member

bazzer – Member

@bensales

Are you new to power training or have you been doing it a while ? Are you using an ERG mode trainer ?

Started power training at the beginning of this year to get me in shape for some mtb xc races. Until then I’d never actually done any focussed bike training. Just rode my bikes! But I had done very focussed running training, so could carry across all the concepts of easy/hard/threshold/intervals etc…

Always used Erg trainers, initially a Tacx Vortex and now a Tacx Neo.

mrblobby
    Free Member

They actually do a better job of replicating hills than flat roads!

Totally agree about too much turbo being detrimental to outdoor riding. It’s easy to fall into the turbo trap during winter, done it a couple of times now. I try and limit turbo to times I really can’t do the session outdoors. Intervals are easy enough with a PM on the road bike and picking suitably interruption free bits of road. Turbo is just nowhere near as dynamic as riding on the road and you lose the ability to deal with that through too much turbo.

Kryton57

This bloody thing frustrates me. After suffering badly on the 20 min test on Tuesday, I’ve sailed through Grassy Ridge like a knife through butter.

So much so, I ramped up the the last set of nine internals to 105%, and the very last 30 seconds I just pushed on to get that nice stomach turning feeling completing a 400w 30 second interval.

And now I feel fresh as a daisy.

😈

gray

You’ve probably said, but what equipment are you using Kryton? Is it possible that you’re getting inconsistent readings? Or is it biological variation? (Tired or poorly on Tuesday? Different time of day or hunger status?)

Kryton57

All the equipment is the same. The only difference is that its evening today vs lunchtime tuesday. According to np, tss and IF its an easier workout than rhe 20 min of course, but I didnt expect it to be that easy.

gray

I was just wondering if it might be susceptible to drifts in temperature or calibration.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Which FTP test did you do Kryton? 2×8 or 1×20?

I’m wondering if Grassy ridge plays to your strengths (short power bursts) and the 20 minute FTP doesn’t (longer sustained power)

I often have the opposite problem where over/unders or sustained time just above ftp are fine but short bursts at higher values are really tough comparatively.

Kryton57

I think it does. I discovered 2 years ago i have a sprint, and am good up 50/100m rises. Im poor at lengthy climbs though.

However i feel 1×20 easier to complete as in prior years ive had issues with vo2max.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you built up a power profile over various durations Kryton?

Part of what you describe is a problem estimating a value for 60 minute power from an effort of shorter duration. Assumes everyone fits a certain curve. And then there’s the consequence of then working out interval efforts from that one value. For example, it would likely make more sense for your 5 min efforts to be done at a percentage of your 5 min max, not as a percentage of your FTP.

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve discovered life outside of training and so have binned long base rides etc and have just done a Z5 intervals session, a sweetspot session, an hours Zone 3 and the odd XC race. Basically I’m doing a transition from rest to full on from November onwards. This year will be more high intensity and less base to see if I can get some improvements from a different regime

Moving my Z5 to an XC course (Aston) definitely helped my XC races.

The transition phase workouts from Tomorrows Plan have fewer and less intervals than I was doing eg Sweetspot 4x10minutes when I was doing 3x20minutes and z5 3x5minutes when I was doing 6x5minutes (well actually 4 at Z5 and 2 at Z4 as unable to maintain Z5 power)

I’m loathe to regress but maybe I should do the shorter/lesser intervals to ensure I go into November with energy?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Plan is here if you’re interested…

Cheers, that looks really good, although no idea how i’d fit in AM workouts – usually a zombie <9:30am

bensales
    Free Member

It’s only the swims I do at stupid o’clock as that’s when the pool is quiet. Apart from my Tuesday bike which I have to do a 5am before travelling for work 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 2,441 through 2,480 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.