Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • Kryton57

Nearly at the 4.5 pwr that I wanted for this season.
    All down to using the mtb plan.

I hope it causes mine to grow that much, I’m starting it Tuesday and Kahatin looked pretty horrendous numbers wise.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

FWIW the powertap measures about +25w over Virtual power for me at this level

virtual top
    actual bottom (g3)

pics taken within a minute of each other, same gear, resistance, cadence

would be interesting to see how your indoor compares to your outdoor Kryton,

rsvktm

Funnily enough I enjoy the katahdin style, take a look at Hawks bill +2 week 5… The ones I really struggle with are the Bondcliff style, steady efforts, really highlighted weaknesses for me.
    So glad I went a bit mad and got a kickr, couldn’t be doing with the virtual power issues and questions.

Kryton57

would be interesting to see how your indoor compares to your outdoor Kryton,

Difficult to measure no? With the same gear, cadence and speed the added facts of gradient, wind & road resistance make it almost impossible?

Or did you mean what average am I outputting when I race?

jam-bo

I hope it causes mine to grow that much, I’m starting it Tuesday and Kahatin looked pretty horrendous numbers wise.

Did katadihn last night at my new FTP of 250 and it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. Really Short intervals so hard to gauge winding up to power.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So glad I went a bit mad and got a kickr, couldn’t be doing with the virtual power issues and questions.

Am still very tempted by a kickr. Though some of the chatter about iffy power readings have put me off a bit. Seems youcan actually use an external PM to control the kickr but that seems a bit of a shame considering the cost of the kickr.

rsvktm

A recent 8 minute test on the kickr gave me an ftp of 366, 20 minute section of commute home today including junctions, corners etc gave me an FTP of 361 with a stages. So happy enough with comparative readings.
    The main thing for me with the kickr is I don’t have to think or focus on keeping to a power, no gear changes. I just sit in one gear and vary the cadence for what I want to get out of it and the kickr keeps me at the right power.

sweaman2
    Free Member

What are people using to include outdoor rides in their TSS calculations? Reading TrainerRoad blogs it talks about about making sure substitutions have about the same TSS as what was on the program. I’ve mostly been riding inside but as summer approaches I’m going to want to add some outdoor rides.

I got a P2M in the Autumn and a Garmin 500 but have never yet used them outside. Is TSS available in Garmin connect? I think only Training Peaks premium includes the power stuff (which I don’t want to pay for given I’m on TrainerRoad)

If not how are people adding in outside data?

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Training peaks basic will give you a TSS score from your power meter. You can also get a TSS score from Garmin Connect. Actually thinking about it TSS is one of the available data fields on an Edge 500.

sweaman2
    Free Member

More time with the manual clearly required then!! 😀

jonno101
    Free Member

I just paid for Training peaks to keeps tabs on my TSS for indoor & outdoor rides. Its great. Basic will only give u weekly TSS totals in calendar view. Premium can get far better charts to keep tabs on it over time. I also like Power Profile chart, shows how crap I am at sprinting 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you use Training Peaks then it’s well worth reading some of the articles and help pages about stuff like the Performance Management Chart in order to get the most out of it.

Garry_Lager

Rolled out revolver last night, first time using a sufferfest vid / TR – great stuff.
    Could have gone a bit harder – when I finished I felt reasonably sure I wasn’t going to throw up. But then each block is recommended as 9/10 perceived effort so think I hit that about right.

Sufferfest music was a bit anodyne for such a full-blooded effort, but guess you’ll never please everyone there.

Kryton57

Kephart – nice.

Haze

Really struggling with Morgan at the moment, bailed half hour in for the second week running.

I’m away this weekend so maybe a short break away from the trainer might do me some good…

teamslug
    Free Member

Did second 8 minute test earlier.Puked in my mouth when I finished. Ftp has gone up by 25%…wtf. I have just finished sweet spot 2 low volume and a few good rides as well. I was expecting a bit of a jump (but not that much) as I had a decent base fitness from last year but dropped off a bit towards end of year and have followed program really well. Bike set up hasnt changed. Same pressure and resistance. Not bailed any sessions and found myself upping workout intensity towards end and it is true that as you get used to turbo training the pacing gets better, nearly typed easier then!!!. FTP/Kg is up to 3.72. Happy with that at 48 y.o. Now to start MTB mid volume. For anyone reading this who is thinking about trying TR I cant recommend it enough.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice work there teamslug!

jonno101
    Free Member

anyone having problems uploading workouts? I get upload error?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Been combining midweek sessions on TR over the last four weeks with real distance riding outside, with a switch to more over and under type intervals, things like:
    – Apple Orchard
    – Hawks Bill
    – Lafaytte
    – Kephart

Anywhere between 45 to 75 minutes long, done twice a week off a good base, can really feel the benefit.

Thoroughly recommended for people just finishing the sweet spot work.

Today’s film of choice was the ’92 edition of Paris Roubaix. Not sure its possible to have more awesomeness in a bike race than this.

Scott drop-in bars
    RockShox forks

Yates, Kelly, Lemond for the Anglophiles

PDM, ONCE, Festina, Telkom, Z
    [video]https://youtu.be/c7t5SFiknMM[/video]

rsvktm

First xc race of the season tomorrow and just off out to the garage to do Osceola, as a finish of the taper week of mtb mid volume plan, be interesting to see if an actual training structure over winter helps. Certainly seen an improvement of ftp and ability to hold power but seem to have lost a bit off top end sprinting.
    My idea is very similar for the next few months re a couple of sessions of over and unders throughout the week on top of general riding

jam-bo

Did second 8 minute test earlier.Puked in my mouth when I finished. Ftp has gone up by 25%…wtf.

My second FTP test showed a similar increase. I think some of it was knowing what an FTP test was like and how to gauge it. In hindsight I didn’t go hard enough on my first one.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

thats probably where most peoples gains come from, low volume plans are what 3/4 hours a week? no way your getting 25% off 3/4 hours a week

Kryton57

Here’s a questions, probably revealing a bit to much but…

Hills/power isnt my forte, yet I have a series of MTB events from May-August indispersed with the odd road crit and some road sportives.

Do I continue with the MTB speciality, or move to the Road race climbing speciality? in order to help my sustainable power instead? Or finish MTB and move to Road Climbs instead of repeating MTB?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I don’t find that sustainable power is quite right for racing situations, (unless in a TT), as pulling turns on the road, or technical sections on XC courses require going above the sustainable level for 30 seconds or so, then dropping back to just under it.

Therefore I think the MTB plans are very good for this, as I said a few posts up, the over and under emphasis is perfect for replicating this.

Kryton57

I just went through my diary… The MTB plan takes me to mid May when my mid-week MTB series starts and goes on until July, as does my monthly series continue (i’ll be missing April’s event).

Then the road climbs would take me through to July, and I have Velothon Wales on June 14, then from July I can go back to MTB to get ready for the Bonty.

I think thats my plan…

Kryton57

wrong thread!

rsvktm

My sustainable power increased with the mtb plan, ability to hold a set high hr on a draggy long climb racing at the weekend was a bonus that I wasn’t expecting. When not caring where hr was and just pushing on I have definatley improved in repeatability of high efforts and recovery.
    Just need to avoid other peoples crashes now..

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t find that sustainable power is quite right for racing situations, (unless in a TT), as pulling turns on the road, or technical sections on XC courses require going above the sustainable level for 30 seconds or so, then dropping back to just under it.

Over unders are surprisingly applicable to TT’s too. Even on fairly flat courses there’s still rises and dips, gusts of wind etc. And gear changes need surges of power to get back on top of a new ratio. You’re constantly dipping over and under your target power, though probably not to such degrees as when racing xc!

Kryton57

Power peaks in XC did you say?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qPar8X]xc[/url]

😀

SkillWill
    Free Member

Morgan for me tonight. Recently increased my FTP so not looking forward to this.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/1814-morgan

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, if that is your data then I’m impressed!

Edit… Thought numbers on the right were the averages 🙂

Kryton57

Edit… Thought numbers on the right were the averages

Lol! I wish. Yes they are mine from yesterdays race. 😳 It was a flat, almost dry soft mud – the kind that doesn’t pick up in the tyres but tires your legs out hence the lack of average Watts albeit that is Strava watts not real power. It was long too – 1:40 at race pace.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was that with a proper PM or just estimated power? Ah Strava watts. I’d assume real watts considerably higher!

Kryton57

Yep, thats what I find on the road bike, a massive difference from a real PM (in my favor).

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice HR data there Kryton!

Kryton57

Nice HR data there Kryton!

Considering my HR max is 178… Its a good lesson there though, becuase although I started to get really tired, almost bonking tired (I didn’t take Gels becuase I’d anticipated a shorter race)you can see my HR drop on the last lap which was 1 min slower than the preceeding ones. That one minute would have got me two places further up. You live and learn eh…

rsvktm

Really want a power meter for mtb.. Mine from yesterday’s race. Shows huge variations in HR for me, far more than I would see doing a TT so for me the mtb plan is quite specific to the demand of xc racing. Some of the lower HR is being behind back markers on singletrack, then having to nail it past when able.

Kryton57

Looking at the profile – were we at the same race – MSG at Carver Barracks?

rsvktm

I was at a Nutcracker in Whinlatter 2300 ft of climbing in 13 miles. Not ideal for a chunky like me 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

for comparison if you wish of strava estimated v power data from a Stages X9

Of course you shouldn’t get hung up on comparing power to your own, just thought it would possibly be useful,
    first pic is 1x Lap of the “Red” at Sherwood 6/11/14

second pic is 1x Lap of the Red at Dalby in the wet on 2/11/14

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.