Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • philwarren11
    Free Member

Its fine on the intervals, feels spot on to me, just trying to spin at 85rpm and <100watts or the 20w bit was hard work in the recovery sections, its not an issue, i’ll keep going on this FTP for a few more then see how i feel like you say.

Kryton57

I’m confused – you were finding 85rpm at 100w difficult – too fast and bouncy?

philwarren11
    Free Member

No. Too easy. Its difficult to put that little power in. Its only for a short time and for recovery so doesn’t mean anything really.

Kryton57

Well, its supposed to be easy, its rfecovery and its basically just turning the pedals to flush the lactic out and warm/cool your muscles.

Depending on the plan, you should be finding the effort as per the instructions which for most is barely completing the end of the hard intervals. Then let the recovery worry about itself, you arn’t supposed to be working hard at that point.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Does anyone else get this when doing intervals ~ 60-80watts higher than than threshold….For the first 1.5mins in each interval I feel horrible, legs burning etc but then this goes almost completely after that and the rest of the interval is “easy” compared to the first 1.5mins, power is spot on & HR rises slowly to what I’d expect. I had a good warm up & it’s the same on every interval so it’s not that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, pretty much. Takes me a while to settle into a change of pace (more so as I get older!) You may also be putting in a surge of power to accelerate up to the new steady state (you won’t see this if you are using virtual power) and it may be you are taking a minute or so to “recover” from this acceleration.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I did wonder if it was an age thing! No I have current / actual power showing on my garmin (from power meter) & I’m not going over the watts, just up them steadily. I find it hard to sit at the desired watts during the first minute or so, then it all settles down. But glad is not just me!

Had s nasty session on Tuesday night 10mins at threshold, 10mins easy then 20-30mins threshold with every 2mins up my watts by 80 for 20sec then settle back to threshold. Set a new FTP, Quite a nice way to get a new ftp too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds evil. Chasing imaginary breaks there? 👿

Kryton57

Yep same here. Last night I was doing over unders. I was imagining I was pushing a bunch on the overs dropping people out the back. The first 30 seconds of that and minute of the unders hurt. You just have to let the lactic clear and not give in to the burn and carry on as you say with relative ease.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Either that or repeatedly attacking. Racing starts in 8 weeks & my training plan looks pretty evil! Did you ever go down the coaching route btw?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes I did. Though as soon as we started for the first month I had some cold bug thing that meant I couldn’t train properly 🙁 Back on it now and so far been quite different to what I’ve been doing previously. Hopefully it’s what I need to be doing.

teamslug
    Free Member

Hi there, first post on this thread as I’m signing up to trainer road next week after getting a taxc turbo last week. I’ve been using sufferfest on a spin bike for a year or so and am pretty savvy on what i need to do to sit in the garage and train. A couple of questions for you. What resistance level do I set the turbo on. It is a tacx flow with a digital display that is used to adjust the ‘ gradient’ therefore increasing or decreasing the resistance. From memory this goes from -4% to +9%. It also has a power output display but unfortunatley this cant be tied into the trainer road software so i’ll be on virtual power with a garmin speed/cadence. I realise that i need to keep it the same or my readings and hence training will be skewed.Thanks in advance

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you’re trying to use virtual power then I guess it’s whatever curve TR has for your trainer, you’d need to align to that. If it’s not obvious I’d contact the TR support guys, they are usually very good at responding (frequent this thread sometimes too.)

mattjevans
    Free Member

I’m just getting started and figured that the Sufferfest Novice plan might be the best option. Bit pricey but I need something to structure what I do

teamslug
    Free Member

ah i see. I didn’t realise i had to align trainer to a curve. That makes sense. I haven’t downloaded the software yet as usb dongle isn’t coming til monday. Thanks

dunmail
    Free Member

Having just signed up for trainerroad I’ve a question: For those doing the training plans how do you mix the turbo training with weekend rides? Looking at the Sweet Spot Base, the low volume has workouts on Mon, Wed & Fri; the mid volume has workouts on every day except Mon & Fri.

Do you modify the plan, time shift it or double up on rides at the weekend?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Think I said this a few pages back, but for me I recon that the sweet spot training plans would be suitable for just about everyone and offer 90% of the benefits of following a totally customised plan at virtually zero cost.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Either pick a plan that allows you train outside as normal, therefore the low volume one, substitute a TR session with a similar outdoor season, or forgo the outdoor ride.

Depends on your level of commitment, there are a number of people on this thread that can be found on their turbo/rollers even in high summer….

mrblobby
    Free Member

Depends on your level of commitment, there are a number of people on this thread that can be found on their turbo/rollers even in high summer….

Chef, that would have been me last summer 😐

Though more to do with the constraints of childcare than commitment to the turbo. I’m doing more outdoors now that I was in the summer!

dunmail
    Free Member

Ta.

I think I’ll do the Sweet Spot Base low volume but time shifted by a day.

I need to sit down and spend time reading through this thread to pick up hints and tips.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice blobby, nice. Getting it done.

Kryton57

What resistance level do I set the turbo on

Trevor from Trainerroad previously gave me the advice of being at an appropriate resistance to meet all the power requirement within the cadence band of the plan I’m using.

Therefore whether you are grinding 200w at 85rpm, or knocking 330w at 120rpm, if thats within the plans advised cadence you are at the right resitance. 65rpm or 150rpm respectively means you be in the wrong ball park.

Having said that I can reach my range on both level 2 & 3 of my Turbo, but I’ve chosen 3 as thats harder, naturally 😈

philwarren11
    Free Member

Looking at my next workout it says to do isolated leg training, I use flat pedals on my trainer, any ideas what to do? Just pedal with more attention to the one leg?

akak
    Free Member

I switched to flats after I finished base so not sure if its possible, maybe in a high gear. If not its only a small part of a few workouts. I relax my cadence during the active recovery intervals to avoid changing too many gears and the 10% bits are backpedaled ie zero power unless you have a computerized trainer.

jonno101
    Free Member

HNY all
    Gonna fire up a TR plan after few weeks off. Think Ill try Sweet Spot Base Low Vol. II, as did low Vol I, might have to trim that little recovery 30 min ride out?? Also just tried Ebbetts at new FTP and that was pretty darn hard!!

Also been playing with Training Peaks, it looks really, really good, even just free version. Great way of keeping track on weekly TSS, especially if you drop saturday TR ride and do your own outdoor sunday ride ;)..

Don’t think Ill pay for TP though, as already Strava premium & paying for TR, all mounts up. Could probably join a gym for cheaper than all that?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d dump strava premium and go for training peaks.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve failed/ missed a couple of sessions recently due to weight training the day before leaving me trashed.

Anyone got any suggestions, or good links to training plan structuring. I don’t seem to be getting it quite right at the moment…

m – commute- weights
    t – trainer
    w- commute -weights
    th – night ride
    f – commute weights
    s – trainer/ rest
    s – trainer/ longer ride.

I know it looks like not much rest but actually most of my commuting is at recovery- aerobic pace. and both thursday/ sunday rides are fairly relaxed.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

What’s the purpose/goal for the weight and trainer sessions?

Sounds like they are not compatible in their current configuration.

mrblobby
    Free Member

As you’ve found, you really need to rest after weights sessions. Maybe one a week with a rest day afterwards?

As Chef says, depends on the purpose of it all really.

thomthumb
    Free Member

trainer i want to improve threshold. i’m working through sweet spot base; but at a slower than prescribed rate.

weights; all round conditioning/ core but also on bike strength. I’m following stronglifts 5×5. which has squats on every session and deadlift on every other one; in short pretty tough on legs.

Sounds like they are not compatible in their current configuration

that’s what i’m coming to realise.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Hmmm, not looking like a good combination.

Try switching it so your gym session is the day after the TrainerRoad session.

If that fails then drop the leg work for a bit. Get to a point where you can manage, under normal workload/family life, 3 weeks of core and upper body gym work and trainer sessions, then start adding in the leg work again and see what happens.

However both sessions sound hard so I’m not surprised you’re struggling to be honest.

whitestone
    Free Member

OK, just done my first TR workout – Birch. I was looking for something about 45mins in duration and that was a gentle introduction rather than a beasting. I need to get used to the system plus learn to spin a little quicker.

I’m using virtual power and took a guess at the resistance level to set the turbo to, I think I probably got it about right as I was hitting the power bands with a cadence of 85-95. I might try the next level up but I’m in the right ball park.

Right now I’m thinking that I’ll do a few more workouts before trying my first 8 minute test and commencing the Sweet Spot Base LV 1 plan. So can anyone suggest maybe four workouts that can lead me in to that? Ideally 45-60mins in duration.

jim25

I’ve just done my first real trainer road ride. Starting on the sweet base 1. Doing the 8 min test, sounds like you need to do this first really so it can work out the correct ftp you should be training at.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I know it looks like not much rest but actually most of my commuting is at recovery- aerobic pace. and both thursday/ sunday rides are fairly relaxed.

not much intensity then? depends what your ultimate goal is?

Garry_Lager

Whitestone – Mash the test out for your next session for a rough FTP value. Get started on sweet spot, which will prob feel rel comfortable (apart from the dreaded one-leggers!). After a few weeks re-test FTP – the combination of being used to the program and the turbo, and having a better idea of pacing the test will then give you a more accurate value to take forward.

teamslug
    Free Member

Just signed up for trainer road, first 8 min ftp test this wednesday!!!, joined the stw team too. gonna go for sweet spot low volume 2 to start with i think….quick question…is ftp 200 the default setting when doing first 8 min test?. Cheers

whitestone
    Free Member

Mash the test out for your next session for a rough FTP value.

Gulp! 😆

I’ll have a rest day tomorrow and go for it on Wednesday …

jonno101
    Free Member

quick question…is ftp 200 the default setting

I believe so? So don’t read anything into it for first test, go on feel…
    Just go hard but steady, better to start first few mins slightly gentler and leave something for last 4 mins. At least you can repeat it, so learn from the first 8 mins. First ones is always a bit up & down. Good luck.
    Im tempted to do 20 min test tomorrow as want to get a more accurate LTHR for Training Peaks.

legend
    Free Member

teamslug – Member
    Just signed up for trainer road, first 8 min ftp test this wednesday!!!, joined the stw team too. gonna go for sweet spot low volume 2 to start with i think….quick question…is ftp 200 the default setting when doing first 8 min test?. Cheers

Yes, but as per the instructions you’ve to ignore FTP the first time through (as it is in no way related to you) and just smash yourself

whitestone
    Free Member

Just done Clyde as a test of resistance level 2 on the turbo which I think will suit me better as I’m in the lower-middle of the gear range for 90% FTP level. Just felt like a steady effort.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.